Do I need a rest?

Crimmey
Crimmey Posts: 207
As i wasn't shifting any weight I've had to up the mileage the past 5-6 weeks to around 300miles a week average ( usually around 200) and do some sort of riding every day - it is slowly coming off. I have built recovery rides into my plan as well as hard rides and interval rides but mainly go off feel.
Previously I would last a couple of weeks then totally capitualte and need an extended break. It got so bad one year I had to take a month off just doing the odd ride here and there.
I feel totally different as if I could go on 'forever'. Yes I have my bad days but they aren't anywhere as near as what they have been where I have virtually been unable to pedal and can still maintain a respectable speed.
I don't really want the same scenario happening where I need a long rest so should I take a few days off, a week, longer? Or keep on going as I just feel I can get the balance right maybe?

Comments

• It wont do you any harm to take a break, judging by your milage you've built up a good base anyway
    10 mile TT pb - 20:56 R10/17
    25 - 53:07 R25/7
    Now using strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/155152
  • bristolpete
    bristolpete Posts: 2,255
    I would periodize your training and rest yes.

Saying you can go on for ever may feel good now but when you hit the paradox of over training and give to more welly to go slower you really struggle. it is a really vicious circle.

Step away from the bike for 5 days, have hot baths, relax and when you get back on the bike you will feel great.
  • I would suggest at least a day off after your interval rides, or if you're commuting on your bike, take it nice and easy the next day to give you muscles some time to repair and get stronger.
  • cyco2
    cyco2 Posts: 593
    You really need to read the signs of your body breaking down with all that effort so try this which I lifted from another site. Your resting HR will increase with insufficient rest from training.

Lay down and rest comfortably for 10 minutes the same time each day (morning is best).
    At the end of 10 minutes, record your heart rate in beats per minute.
    Then stand up
    After 15 seconds, take a second heart rate in beats per minute.
    After 90 seconds, take a third heart rate in beats per minute.
    After 120 seconds, take a fourth heart rate in beats per minute.
    ...................................................................................................

If you want to be a strong rider you have to do strong things.
    However if you train like a cart horse you'll race like one.
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,467
    cyco2 wrote:
    You really need to read the signs of your body breaking down with all that effort so try this which I lifted from another site. Your resting HR will increase with insufficient rest from training.

Lay down and rest comfortably for 10 minutes the same time each day (morning is best).
    At the end of 10 minutes, record your heart rate in beats per minute.
    Then stand up
    After 15 seconds, take a second heart rate in beats per minute.
    After 90 seconds, take a third heart rate in beats per minute.
    After 120 seconds, take a fourth heart rate in beats per minute.
    Interesting - so you are saying that with insufficient rest, the resting HR will increase between 15 secs and 90 secs, and between 90 secs and 120 secs, while if you are rested it won't? So the act of standing disproportionately raises HR when you are not properly rested?
  • cyco2
    cyco2 Posts: 593
    neeb wrote:
    Interesting - so you are saying that with insufficient rest, the resting HR will increase between 15 secs and 90 secs, and between 90 secs and 120 secs, while if you are rested it won't? So the act of standing disproportionately raises HR when you are not properly rested?

It really doesn't say that. All it says is record the heart rate between these times. Obviously it will get less between times. Monitoring them between resting and over training will produce different results and may be of help if you need convincing that you are over doing it.

Over training has numerous effects on the body and a simplistic view of it is, its like a viral attack. Where even the slightest effort will elevate the heart rate. One of the problems I have seen with riders who are too keen is to get them to rest properly, especially were the training is race specific. Its the old law of diminishing returns for more effort.
    ...................................................................................................

If you want to be a strong rider you have to do strong things.
    However if you train like a cart horse you'll race like one.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,540
    That sounds a serious amount of riding. How much were you eating when riding 200 miles per week? Perhaps you have taken the wrong course when trying to have less calories in than out?
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Sounds like you need to start looking at your nutrition Crimmey, as well as building in a rest week.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • Crimmey
    Crimmey Posts: 207
    When doing the 200 a week I would really try and limit myself like having oats, mixed beans, lots of soup!, protein shake, then a main meal but I'd have a binge day before my big sunday ride and not eat anything on the day until I came home. Now im on more miles I'm eating more solids but I don't really count calories. Not weighed myself for a couple of weeks just in case Ive put weight on :(
    Rest week - if I can stick to it is built in to Easter weekend week where I have a few events on consecutive days.
    I think Ill gice the HR thing a miss, sounds like too much hard work.
  • symo
    symo Posts: 1,743
    Crimmey wrote:
    When doing the 200 a week I would really try and limit myself like having oats, mixed beans, lots of soup!, protein shake, then a main meal but I'd have a binge day before my big sunday ride and not eat anything on the day until I came home. Now im on more miles I'm eating more solids but I don't really count calories. Not weighed myself for a couple of weeks just in case Ive put weight on :(
    Rest week - if I can stick to it is built in to Easter weekend week where I have a few events on consecutive days.
    I think Ill gice the HR thing a miss, sounds like too much hard work.
    Don't get me wrong I still have a way to go until I hit healthy on the BMI scale, but binging before a ride, then not eating for every big ride will educate your body to store fat won't it? Someone tell me if I am right or wrong.
    +++++++++++++++++++++
    we are the proud, the few, Descendents.

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.