Fabrice Muamba

2»

Comments

• Not a footy fan here, but I'm prompted to comment because my bro went into the London Chest and they looked after him a treat; he survived to extract the maximum perverse enjoyment from the ensuing pi$$take, so I can only wish Muamba all the luck and a similar outcome.
    "Consider the grebe..."
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    First up, fingers crossed for Muamba, I hope he pulls through and is able to continue playing the game
    RideOnTime wrote:
    cadenzaaa wrote:
    Stop digging MattC59...you made a crass and idiotic comment. Just grow a set and apologise instead of even trying to deflect it.

what?

second : I thought that to, I guess there's been some modding and post deletion gone on judging by RC's comment.

3rd: Gotta be honest tho, as someone that has suffered depression, Cadenzaas signature isn't funny or clever and I would like the see s/he do the decent thing and remove it. (I've only just found how to turn signatures on, I thought they'd all been removed in the site revamp)
    Particularly as s/he seems to have been having a go at MattC59 for crass insensitivity to someone not well - hypocrite is a good call.

I made a light hearted joke about footballers and their diving habits, which was (incorrectly) taken as a joke at the expense of those who suffer from heart problems.

I didn't find Cadenzaaa's sig offensive (I've suffered from quite serious depression in the past) I just found it somewhat hypocrytical for him to have a go at me for my comment, whilst making a similar comment in his sig.
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    Alright now, let's keep it about Fabrice, rather than the comments!

There's a new Sheriff in town :wink:
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    MattC59 wrote:
    I made a light hearted joke about footballers and their diving habits, which was (incorrectly) taken as a joke at the expense of those who suffer from heart problems.

It was just too soon. When the guy (hopefully) gets better, the jokes will be more appropriate is all.

I saw the humour in the comment. Timing is just off. And you know what they say about comedy.... timing is everything.
  • SLX01
    SLX01 Posts: 338
    Sad as it maybe there are hundreds of people who are not on TV fighting for their life everyday I don't see why this has been made such a fuss about in the news. When I had a heart attack and got rushed to hospital I wasn't even in the local paper let alone lead story for 2 days on the national news. I hope he gets better as do I hope everyone in hospital gets better but I care about him as a person not because he is a 'celebrity'.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    SLX01 wrote:
    Sad as it maybe there are hundreds of people who are not on TV fighting for their life everyday I don't see why this has been made such a fuss about in the news. When I had a heart attack and got rushed to hospital I wasn't even in the local paper let alone lead story for 2 days on the national news.

It happened on live TV and lots of people know who he is. It's fairly obvious why it gets more coverage.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Frank the tank
    Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
    edited March 2012
    This brought back awful memories for me, this very thing happened to my friend on the football pitch, and unfortunately he died where he fell. It was terrible. Needless to say, I wish Muamba well, and never mind being able to play football again, being able to walk and talk will do thanks.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • Pokerface
    SLX01 wrote:
    Sad as it maybe there are hundreds of people who are not on TV fighting for their life everyday I don't see why this has been made such a fuss about in the news. When I had a heart attack and got rushed to hospital I wasn't even in the local paper let alone lead story for 2 days on the national news. I hope he gets better as do I hope everyone in hospital gets better but I care about him as a person not because he is a 'celebrity'.

Are you 24? Are you in the supposed best shape of your life? Were you on live TV? Did they cancel a big sporting event for you? Did someone get arrested for posting racist comments about you on Twitter?

Thus.... the continued news coverage.

You are correct - he's no more important than anyone else - but you can see why it's in the news.
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    edited March 2012
    As the instigator, I totally get the sentiment of SLX's response but if the press coverage and outpourings make one workplace or event now get a defib machine then that could save the lives of many an ordinary Joe, and some good will have come from the whole sorry episode.
  • BigG67
    BigG67 Posts: 582
    Thinking about the question of whether the game should have been abandoned, the key difference between this and a serious injury is that there was a real chance he was dying as he was taken away and there is no way the teams nor the fans would have wanted to go on. If it was broken leg - even a compound fracture - those still at the ground wouldn't have the thought/image of a dead or dying team mate to contend with.
  • Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
  • SLX01
    SLX01 Posts: 338
    BigG67 wrote:
    Thinking about the question of whether the game should have been abandoned, the key difference between this and a serious injury is that there was a real chance he was dying as he was taken away and there is no way the teams nor the fans would have wanted to go on. If it was broken leg - even a compound fracture - those still at the ground wouldn't have the thought/image of a dead or dying team mate to contend with.

If someone in the stands had had a heart attack and died would they have cancelled the game? Not saying it should have been cancelled just asking the question.
  • Pokerface
    If someone watching at home had a heart attack should they have cancelled the game? :roll:
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    SLX01 wrote:
    If someone in the stands had had a heart attack and died would they have cancelled the game? Not saying it should have been cancelled just asking the question.

No, but the man in the stands isn't a friend and colleague of the players playing the game. Would you be able to continue playing having seen people struggling to save your friend's life and not knowing if he was alive or dead?
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • cadenzaaa
    cadenzaaa Posts: 36
    So...you guys are riding in a crit and one of your team goes down for no apparent reason. You can see that the medics are working on him...CPR, defib etc for over 15mins, before he is carried, still not breathing, from the track. You're going to continue racing eh? Glad I dont have team mates like you :twisted:
    Apologies to anyone I may have offended with previous sig.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    cadenzaaa wrote:
    So...you guys are riding in a crit and one of your team goes down for no apparent reason. You can see that the medics are working on him...CPR, defib etc for over 15mins, before he is carried, still not breathing, from the track. You're going to continue racing eh? Glad I dont have team mates like you :twisted:
    +1
    And we wonder why we have a broken society.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    Does anyone find the sight of distaught fans laying scarves, flowers and teddy bears at football stadium gates a bit mawkish? He's not even dead yet and they are grieving. Maybe we have taken the idea of "respect" too far.
    Poor sod, wish him a speeedy recovery an all, but does he really need the Diana treatment?
  • MichaelW wrote:
    Does anyone find the sight of distaught fans laying scarves, flowers and teddy bears at football stadium gates a bit mawkish? He's not even dead yet and they are grieving. Maybe we have taken the idea of "respect" too far.
    Poor sod, wish him a speeedy recovery an all, but does he really need the Diana treatment?

I suppose if he recovers it might be nice for him to know it was done, it may be nice for his family now and probably makes the people who do it feel better about themselves - but personally I don't like it and as you say its particularily bizzarre as he is still alive!

PS re jokegate scandal - let's allow jokes to be made freely and without judgement - if you don't like it don't laugh and if you have delicate sensibilities I would avoid Cake Stop!
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    There must be some new legislation around defibrilators (sp?)

My employer (a factory with c200 workers) has just trained a dozen first aiders to use a couple of new defibrilators recently installed.

Seemed stupid at the time, but I suppose you never know.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Redhog14
    Redhog14 Posts: 1,377
    edited March 2012
    There must be some new legislation around defibrilators (sp?)

My employer (a factory with c200 workers) has just trained a dozen first aiders to use a couple of new defibrilators recently installed.

Seemed stupid at the time, but I suppose you never know.

there are guides to the deployment of Defibs relating to the "population" of the workplace etc, you'll find them in all shopping centres and other such public areas, train stations and so on. A paramedic i know told me that they are all but pointless save for a handful of specific circumstances.
    I used to work in a hotel in a rural area and once had sit and comfort a guest who was having a heart attack, poor guy was a long way from home and clearly shitting himself it was not a comfortable time at all but he recovered. On another occasion a dad, with his two grown up sons arrived by helicopter on a once in a lifetime trip, i checked them in then got a call 10 mins later to say the old guy was ill, went up to the room and he was already dead. That was a shit day at work.

Edit - I hope Fab get better soon, sorry should have said that at the beginning.
  • Paulie W
    Paulie W Posts: 1,492
    Reporting that Fabrice Muamba is showing small signs of improvement: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/17419654
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,163
    When I did a recent first aid course the trainer was suggesting that any reasonable size office should have a de-frib. He said that the way the units work they are no danger as they will only work once they've detected an abnormal heart rythym. Apparently the course is only about an hour so they aren't rocket science to use.
  • Frank the tank
    Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
    Got to say there have been some insensitive comments made on this thread, as I posted earlier I've been in this situation (only worse) and it was appauling.

I bet there were loads of folk die the same day as JFK but but for some reason they only ever ask where were you when Kennedy died? :roll:
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • Rigga
    Rigga Posts: 939
    MichaelW wrote:

He also got the customary(for dead people) 1 minute round of applause before the Wolves game and Newcastle game, very odd! Glad he's improving though.
  • OffTheBackAdam
    OffTheBackAdam Posts: 1,869
    Wayne Rooney has visited Fabrice Muamba in hospital.

"It's great, he can almost string a sentence together"

-said Fabrice. :D
    Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.