Fabrice Muamba

RonB
RonB Posts: 3,984
edited March 2012 in The bottom bracket
Just hope he is able to recover from this. Thoughts are with him and his family.

BBC Radio 5 live chief football reporter Ian Dennis at White Hart Lane: "When the medical staff arrived, Fabrice Muamba's face was on the turf. They quickly turned him over and within seconds were putting white pads and defibrillator on him. It was quite clear to everyone that he was fighting for his life. If he does pull through it will be down to the quick actions of the medics."

Comments

• Not a nice site.

I think both sets of fans behaved incredibly respectfully which these days is nice to see.
  • Rigga
    Rigga Posts: 939
    Yeah been listening to this on the radio. I hope he's ok sounds bad.
  • Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    Not a nice site.

I think both sets of fans behaved incredibly respectfully which these days is nice to see.

You're right WHL is shite hole.

On a serious note and I'm not trolling or being unsympathetic, but do you think the game should have been abandoned? I could understand it had someone died but this was akin to a serious injury, no?
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    Really hope he's OK. I guess statistically these things will happen from time to time, but that doesn't make it ay less shocking.

Friends of mine at the game said that all the spurs fans were chanting his name. Football fans get a lot of stick, most of it rightly deserved, but glad to hear that they behaved so well in this case.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    Aggieboy wrote:
    Not a nice site.

On a serious note and I'm not trolling or being unsympathetic, but do you think the game should have been abandoned? I could understand it had someone died but this was akin to a serious injury, no?

They were absolutely right to call the game off, can you imagine carrying on playing a football match while one of your friends might be dying? It would be incredibly disrespectful and impossible to expect the players to concentrate on a game in those circumstances.

A serious injury (like a broken leg or similar) is completely different as whilst terrible it's not life threatening.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • Rigga
    Apparently he's in a stable condition, good news hopefully!
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    As a Bolton fan I'm gutted to hear about this. Good luck to the man. Rigga, do you have a source for your information? Thanks.
  • carl_p
    carl_p Posts: 989
    Rigga wrote:
    Apparently he's in a stable condition, good news hopefully!

Yes let's hope so. Best wishes to the lad and his family.
    Specialized Venge S Works
    Cannondale Synapse
    Enigma Etape
    Genesis Flyer Single Speed

Turn the corner, rub my eyes and hope the world will last...
  • cadenzaaa
    cadenzaaa Posts: 36
    Aggieboy wrote:
    Not a nice site.

Rather wish you had been trolling. The fact you're not makes you a feckin bell-end!
    Apologies to anyone I may have offended with previous sig.
  • Rigga
    johnfinch wrote:
    As a Bolton fan I'm gutted to hear about this. Good luck to the man. Rigga, do you have a source for your information? Thanks.

Talksport and skysports news mate
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    Rigga wrote:
    johnfinch wrote:

Talksport and skysports news mate

Thank you.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Skysports actually reporting he's in 'critically ill' condition in intensive care.

And yes, this wasn't just a broken leg. It's obvious (even at the time) it was way more serious than an average injury and the match definitely should have been called.
  • Fastlad
    Fastlad Posts: 908
    I hope he pulls through. It just goes to show how even the superfit can suffer severe heart problems.
  • Shocked that people actually expected the game to carry on after that, theres more to life than football :P
    (rugby fan!)
    10 mile TT pb - 20:56 R10/17
    25 - 53:07 R25/7
    Now using strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/155152
  • Fastlad
    Aye. As a heart patient myself, i can honestly say, i hope none of you who have made stupid quips about the poor guy are EVER subject to a heart event. Dont think it cant happen to you. I raced the bike for years and trained as much as the next man and i still suffered a blocked artery. NEVER joke about such things. :wink:
  • cadenzaaa
    Stop digging MattC59...you made a crass and idiotic comment. Just grow a set and apologise instead of even trying to deflect it.
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    edited March 2012
    I notice noone was bothered about all the crass comments when Whitney Houston or Amy Whinehouse died.

My apologies if you know him or find this a particularly touchy subject, otherwise get a grip, and s*d ya if you can't take a joke. (and by the way, it was a joke about footballers diving, not heart problems, for those who appear to have missed this).

By the way, yes, I have family members who have had serious heart problems before anyone wants to start preaching.

Oh, and by the way Cadenzaaa, I think your sig "I hate bi-polar disorder it's great" puts you firmly in the hypocrite camp.
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • Fastlad
    C'mon now matt. A 23 year old athlete lying face down on a pitch is nothing to joke about, is it? You need to grow up.
  • cadenzaaa
    And if you think that is even remotely comparable, then I admire your capacity for denial!
  • MattC59
    cadenzaaa wrote:
    And if you think that is even remotely comparable, then I admire your capacity for denial!

Yes. I do. Why would you not think that a serious mental disorder is not comparable to a serious physical disorder ?
    Try asking someone who suffers from bipolar disorder, or even just depression whether they think it's as serious.

I assume that you're talking about your sig, by the way ?
  • cadenzaaa
    Leaving this apparent simpleton and his desire for conflict aside and getting back to the reason for this thread. I hope that I awake to positive news of Muamba's fight for life in the morning.
  • MattC59
    cadenzaaa wrote:
    Leaving this apparent simpleton and his desire for conflict aside and getting back to the reason for this thread. I hope that I awake to positive news of Muamba's fight for life in the morning.

No desire for conflict, just wondering how you can attack me and then justify your sig ? Are you not making jokes about health issues but criticising me for doing the same ?

And in case you hadn't noticed the continued hypocracy in your comments, you have accused me of a desire for conflict, but have resorted to personal name calling on a couple of occasions.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Alright now, let's keep it about Fabrice, rather than the comments!
  • pdstsp
    pdstsp Posts: 1,264
    Fabrice faces crucial 24 hours according to BBC sport website this morning.

Those of you posting arguments should be ashamed - the man is fighting for his life.
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    greg66_tri_v2.0 Posts: 7,172
    edited March 2012
    This is pretty awful. The brother of a good friend of mine keeled over in a gym a couple of years ago. Fit guy, in his thirties, running on the treadmill. No defibrillators around and no one with anything above basic first aid either. He didn't make it.

IIRC the verdict was SADS - Sudden Arrhythmic Disorder Syndrome, aka Sudden Adult Death Syndrome. Pretty nasty stuff that is very difficult to defend against.

Hope this guy pulls through.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    cadenzaaa wrote:
    Stop digging MattC59...you made a crass and idiotic comment. Just grow a set and apologise instead of even trying to deflect it.

what?
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    First up, fingers crossed for Muamba, I hope he pulls through and is able to continue playing the game
    RideOnTime wrote:
    cadenzaaa wrote:

what?

second : I thought that to, I guess there's been some modding and post deletion gone on judging by RC's comment.

3rd: Gotta be honest tho, as someone that has suffered depression, Cadenzaas signature isn't funny or clever and I would like the see s/he do the decent thing and remove it. (I've only just found how to turn signatures on, I thought they'd all been removed in the site revamp)
    Particularly as s/he seems to have been having a go at MattC59 for crass insensitivity to someone not well - hypocrite is a good call.
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    First up, fingers crossed for Muamba, I hope he pulls through and is able to continue playing the game

+1

On a side issue I hope whats happening in this thread isnt indicative of the 'modding' to come - mattc's had his light hearted comments removed, and vesterbergs has disappeared. If the mods think we should be treated like 5 year olds and sent to the corner of the room we should be told.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Greg66 wrote:
    This is pretty awful. The brother of a good friend of mine keeled over in a gym a couple of years ago. Fit guy, in his thirties, running on the treadmill. No defibrillators around and no one with anything above basic first aid either. He didn't make it.

IIRC the verdict was SADS - Sudden Arrhythmic Disorder Syndrome, aka Sudden Adult Death Syndrome. Pretty nasty stuff that is very difficult to defend against.

Hope this guy pulls through.

I think something similar happened to a player in Spain a year or two ago - it led to defibrillators being compulsary at all gyms/sports areas.
  • 2Phat4Rapha
    2Phat4Rapha Posts: 238
    Fingers crossed for the guy. Chances of a good recovery improve by the hour but I guess his football career is over. Whew, early 20’s. Mine was early 50s.

There’s an underlying problem here that when you are fit nobody looks at how healthy you are, or as I put it, what your pipes are like inside. And, the absence of external body fat is not necessarily an indication that you don’t have dangerous levels of unseen internal adipose in or around your organs. So, you can be active, slim, non-smoker and with a good diet and because you never go to the doctor or notice any symptoms you don’t ever think about it - and why should you?

I don’t want to scaremonger or anything but digital blood pressure meters are dirt cheap. I no longer use mine everyday as I’ve become used to how things feel but I do check every week or so, both at rest and after exercise. One reading’s not that informative but the picture you build up over time is.

Another good measure is how long it takes your heart rate to get back down to it’s normal resting rate after exertion. And get your cholesterol checked too. You might not like the idea of taking meds for the rest of your life but Statins do seem to be making a noticeable difference for the over 50’s. If yours is high, see your doctor - please.

Fabrice is in good hands. Good luck to you fella.
    I may be a minority of one but that doesn't prevent me from being right.
    http://www.dalynchi.com