Prometheus

NORTHERNSHAGGY
NORTHERNSHAGGY Posts: 316
edited November 2012 in The Crudcatcher
this looks epic .....

http://youtu.be/AXLzJhZa8PY

in cinemas - June 8, 2012
1996 GT Borrego - 2009 Specialized Rockhopper Expert - 2010 Specialized enduro expert

Comments

• bartimaeus
    bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
    Looks good... Ridley Scott directing and a strong cast. Alien was the first 18 I ever saw at the cinema, and it's still a classic. I hope this one is half as good!
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building
  • Raymondavalon
    Raymondavalon Posts: 5,346
    Saw this 'teaser' a few weeks back, man it looks epic
    In the Ridley Scott tradition it should be absolutely excellent and.. it also introduces us to the infamous "space jockey"
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,149
    Looks very good - hope it lives up to the hype. I was wondering when an 'Alien' prequel was coming out, as the Alien v Predator tripe had almost killed off the franchise.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Ridley's excellence wore off after Gladiator in my opinion, and has dropped the ball a number of times even since Thelma & Louise. Though Robin Hood being the last one he messed up, maybe this will be good.

As for the prequel angle, not sure, but seems this is not an obvious prequel but just set in the same universe and has some reference to the original Alien. Sounds like he's got some control over it rather than it being some stupid studio prequel with young versions of the original characters.
  • Stevo_666
    deadkenny wrote:
    As for the prequel angle, not sure, but seems this is not an obvious prequel but just set in the same universe and has some reference to the original Alien. Sounds like he's got some control over it rather than it being some stupid studio prequel with young versions of the original characters.
    Given that it involves the space jockey and the Aliens, it's the closest thing to a prequel we're going to get even if the story doesn't lead directly on to the '79 original (in the way that the 2011 'Thing' movie led directly onto the '82 original).
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    oooh he's playing with fire with that one.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • Rigga
    Rigga Posts: 939
    That looks awesome when is it out?
  • Is it 3d, or just hd?
  • Anonymous
    God, hope he's not gimmicking with 3D.
  • mak3m
    mak3m Posts: 1,394
    deadkenny wrote:

its 3d and imax 3d :(
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    Defiantely wont be seeing it in 3D bloody awful format...

but excited indeed!
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    oooh he's playing with fire with that one.

what-you-did-there-i-see-it.thumbnail.jpg
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Stevo_666
    Saw this last night with the silly specs on. No spoilers as I'd be hunted down like a dog if I did :) Trouble is there's so much hype and expectation around this film - but still worth going to see, even if Ridley Scott hasn't surpassed himself or the original 'Alien' movie.
  • Raymondavalon
    Raymondavalon Posts: 5,346
    Watched it last week in 3D with annoying French subtitles (in 3d too)
    Not a bad watch, it is generally a prequel to Alien focussed on "Space Jockey" and it's more of a visual experience opposed to a clever plot, irrespective of whether you view it in 2D or 3D
    There are a few holes in the plot too, but the ending also screams out that a sequel is en route..

Well worth the watch though..
  • Stevo_666
    Watched it last week in 3D with annoying French subtitles (in 3d too)
    Surely it's better than being dubbed into Frog with English subtitles. I once watched 'Dirty Harry' in an Austrian cinema dubbed into German; totally spoilt the effect listening to him say 'Gehen sie vor Punk, machen mein tag' (or summik like that) in a real un-Clint-like, nerdy voice :lol:
  • Twelly
    Twelly Posts: 1,437
    Saw it Friday, didn't like it. Visually it's epic but the story is a bit flimsy, nothing really happens and nothing is explained - therefore it makes some bits a bit random (yes I have seen Alien). Can't really say other reasons why I don't like it as I don't want to ruin it for others...
  • BillyMansell
    BillyMansell Posts: 817
    Our fear of space and what is out there was borne as an analogy to our fear of the unknown i.e. communism - an Americanism and anachronism of right and wrong. Making such spectaculars is a damp squib as it hasn't got the same real beliefs to play against.

I'm not interested in 3D or Imax 3D. The next big leap will be when eye tracking (already existing) combines with UltraHD, 4k or 8k (in the pipeline) and Lytro cinematography (doesn't yet exist).
  • Anonymous
    Lytro - now that's the kind of thing I've said is required for 3D. Dynamically focusing on where you're looking at in the scene. It's needed with 3D as once presented with a 3D image the eyes naturally try to focus on what they're looking at, but can't. That's part of the reason 3D films look unreal and give people headaches.

http://www.creativepro.com/article/hand ... ter-camera

Hmm, tempted to get one of these :D
  • BillyMansell
    BillyMansell Posts: 817
    deadkenny wrote:
    Lytro - now that's the kind of thing I've said is required for 3D. Dynamically focusing on where you're looking at in the scene. It's needed with 3D as once presented with a 3D image the eyes naturally try to focus on what they're looking at, but can't. That's part of the reason 3D films look unreal and give people headaches.

http://www.creativepro.com/article/hand ... ter-camera

Hmm, tempted to get one of these :D
    If I had money to invest I'd be putting it into Lytro.
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    mak3m wrote:
    deadkenny wrote:

its 3d and imax 3d :(

On in the Odeon here in 2D, tempted to book tickets but to be honest these days I've been bitterly disappointed by the films I've gone to see.
  • Anonymous
    To be fair it seems he shot it properly in 3D with 3D cameras. So designed as such, unlike the majority which are conversions.
  • Watched this on Monday in 2D, thought it was ok, visually very good some questions answered from the original alien, but still more questions to answer which opens up for a sequel to the prequel, say that 3 times fast, but still not as scary as the original. Thought fassbender played a good part being very much like ash in the original, took my wife with me this was her view on it she said it was pump :)
    work hard, play hard, fall hard

cube stereo 2010

Felt Z95 2013
  • mak3m
    mak3m Posts: 1,394
    *mild spoilers*

watched it last night

kind of underwhelmed tbh, not a crap film just expected better, the david story line was borrowed, the ending was pure 2001 and there were holes in the plot you could drive a deep space transporter through.

unfourtunately i had to watch it 3d, fraid i dont agree it wasnt proper 3d it was same old 3d. the 3d was mainly there for the end sequences so flame and rubble could 'shoot' out the screen, great so i just watch 95% of the film through crap glasses making the whole cinematography shite for a bit o crap effects.

all in all felt like a long trailer for Prometheus 2
  • phoebian
    phoebian Posts: 497
    I enjoyed watching it, but I felt it was lacking in the atmosphere of Alien. Though I know it was not Alien, I would have wished more thought went into the story than the visuals.
  • pilch
    pilch Posts: 1,136
    ^^^Ditto, I really wanted it to be epic, could have been so much more... maybe the sequel will explain the holes
    A berm? were you expecting one?

29er race

29er bouncer
  • Abra
    Abra Posts: 338
    there wasnt enough of charlize therons bum.... thumbs down :roll:
    DO MORE OF WHAT MAKES YOU HAPPY
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    Went and watched this last night. I thought it was good but found it was lacking a bit in suspense and atmosphere. Any scary bits kinda just happened without fully immersing you and making you jump. defo worth a watch though and yes there will surely be a sequel
  • frazered
    frazered Posts: 333
    Wow. Pretty disappointing overall some real clangers and story clashes. Alien vs predator prequel stuff overall !
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    it was OK. Nothing more.
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • newStart73
    newStart73 Posts: 27
    I quite liked it, I liked the so-called holes in it, as it makes you wonder and think...which way will that go.