HRM

socrates
socrates Posts: 453
I have never used a hrm for training and now at the ripe old age of 60, partially retired and having more time to get out and ride I read that a HRM for training was the best way to get fit. I want to do a few 100 mile sportives this year so my question is - where is the best place to get an easy to understand training plan using the HRM or am I fooling myself.

Comments

• danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    Your not fooling yourself as HRM's have been around in use in for training since the 80's. So there are lots of sources for information.

Basically with HRM training you training is split into zones typically 1-5 with the effort required to get you into each zone going up. Training programmes then set you rides based on preset zones to train your body in different ways e.g. speed, endurance, recovery.

Guess you have lots of options open to you;
    Books - either new or second hand (from ebay/amazon) there are literally thousands
    Internet - lots of free/paid programmes and you will find a massive amount of info on line
    Join a club - that way you will be training with fellow cyclists, getting fitter, adding distance & learning pack riding skills
    Magazines - there are lots of magazines who write their own programmes, plus you can always look them up online
    Coaching - probably the most expensive of options however will be tailored to your own specific needs

Or you could do as most riders do & not sure a specific HRM training plan but once you know what speed & HRM you can comfortably hold then all you need to do is gradually increase your miles whilst keeping your pace at a level you can live with as opposed to setting off way to fast and hitting the wall.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,550
    Peter Reid's Black Book is a pretty good starting point for HR training. Most newer training programmes seem to have moved over to power based training which is generally considered to be a better training tool. No device will help you get fit, only riding will do that, but an HRM or power device will help you make the most of your training time.