bruised knee

greeny1
greeny1 Posts: 106
Went out and did a 60 miler yesterday the front of my right knee is quite tender. the outer part of the knee cap. Its only one knee and I havent had any problems before. I do wonder if i did something playing football the other week and if the cycling aggrivated it! has anyone had a similar problem? Any advice? How long will it take to heal? could I just grin and bear it as i disnt really feel it on the bike yesterday more off it today!

Comments

• Zoomer37
    Zoomer37 Posts: 725
    greeny1 wrote:
    Went out and did a 60 miler yesterday the front of my right knee is quite tender. the outer part of the knee cap. Its only one knee and I havent had any problems before. I do wonder if i did something playing football the other week and if the cycling aggrivated it! has anyone had a similar problem? Any advice? How long will it take to heal? could I just grin and bear it as i disnt really feel it on the bike yesterday more off it today!

Get some ice on it, then search google for 'knee problems cycling'. You might want to check your saddle height is correct and ease up on pushing big gears for a week or so. As for how long it will take to heal, I have no idea how someone could answer that for you. If you bash yourself in the nuts with a bat and keep doing it the pain will probably stay. If you stop bashing your nuts with a bat then the pain would hopefully go away.
  • racingcondor
    racingcondor Posts: 1,434
    I recently had the same thing. Last weekend got off the bike feeling fine but by the time I got out of the shower I had bruising to the right of my right kneecap.

I've changed the cleats on my shoes (they were old and a little unstable) and taken pretty much the whole week off. Your knees are too valuable, I'd avoid riding until at least the soft tissue damage has healed.
  • birdy247
    birdy247 Posts: 454
    I have this atm. Caused by crashing my bike and the frame smashing into my knee. Riding through the pain is the worst thing you can do. Identify the cause (in my case a crash!), in yours it sounds like set-up, eliminate it, rest the knee and then slowly try things out.
  • greeny1
    greeny1 Posts: 106
    dont think its set up, fell at football on monday then the cycling seemed to aggrivate it! used to get ppain in back of knee but cleat allignment and saddle height sorted this. Although if after some rest it persists i will look at my position again. maybe have a few days off and see how i go.Wont have any time for poncey football now the nights are getting lighter anyway. cheers guys
  • racingcondor
    racingcondor Posts: 1,434
    Sounds a lot like that football fall caused some swelling in/around the knee and the cycling is aggrivating this swelling.

I'm afraid rest is your only answer. I did 30 miles on the new cleats this morning after not riding last week and felt great, just had to wait until the soft tissue swelling had gone.