Home made energy drinks

slunker
slunker Posts: 346
Thinking of making up my own energy drinks but was wondering what to use for them. Is it best to use a mixture of dextrose, maltodextrin and some protien or would maltodextrin on it's own be sufficient??

Bear in mind that this is for an energy drink and not for recovery.

Comments

• bigpikle
    bigpikle Posts: 1,690
    I just use Maltex for mine, with a splash of squash usually, and sometimes a little caffeine powder if I know its going to be a spirited or hard ride. 20-40g per 750ml bottle depending on the length of ride etc. In summer I add a little electrolyte powder when its really hot and going to be a long ride ;)

On key events where I want to do well and fuelling will be part of it, I add fructose as well, in a 2:1 M:Fr ratio, but as its a lot more £ and I'm tight, I only use it for key events.

All work out MUCH MUCH cheaper than anything branded from the shops and having used them for >10,000 miles of traiing the last 18 months I cant tell any difference in performance from cheaping out!
    Your Past is Not Your Potential...
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    t.m.h.n.e.t Posts: 2,265
    Dextrose + dilute juice for energy as the GI spikes insulin faster and cell nutrient uptake and is also naturally occuring,maltodextrin is chemical made :p

Maltodextrin(sometimes) + whey for recovery.
  • Herbsman
    Herbsman Posts: 2,029
    I make a ~6% carb drink with 35g of Maltodextrin and 70g of apple juice (cont. approx 7g sugar) topped up with water in a 700ml Camelbak bottle
    CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!