did 2 pints of beer made me stronger today???

denzzz28
denzzz28 Posts: 315
Last night I drank 2 pints of Budweiser before i went to sleep around 11pm this was the first time i drank beer for Months. i dont usually drink but last night was an exemption. I woke up this morning feeling normal like any other day and went to work. I normally ride my commuter bike (saracen tour) with double pannier racks at the back. normally my shoulder bag and my D-lock on both sides but its not heavy. but today was different, my rack was fully loaded with stuff (18inch laptop, 7 books. D-lock and Cable, folder full of uni stuff) which all together is around 16kgs. I can really feel the heaviness as the weight tries to pull me from side to side depending on which side im leaning to. so on my way to work i was really careful and steady (no standing).

my route involves a steep hill and i normally run out of breath near the top but for some reason today with that heavy load i felt good attacking the hill. with my load i was expecting to crawl up really slow, but instead i was running the same speed as i do with out the heavy load (7-9mph). and most surprisingly i felt stronger as i pedal hard and im not as breathless as I would normally be which i found rather strange. now im thinking was that the effect of the beer I drank last night?? i would say NO WAY!! but thats the only thing i know i ingested out of my usual foods??

i wonder if anybody here have any similar experience?

Comments

• bristolpete
    bristolpete Posts: 2,255
    I call it biorhythms.

Last Sunday I had a shocking day on the bike. Wanted to put it down and walk away.

Yesterday I did the same loop average speed 18 mph for 35 mile solo on rolling roads and felt strong as an OX.

Nothing changed, food regime the same. As some bloke once said, sometimes your the hammer, sometimes the nail.

In the meantime, I cant see beer helping, aside from giving you a solid content sleep the night before?
  • Pseudonym
    Pseudonym Posts: 1,032
    So, drink three more pints tonight and see if your performance is even better tomorrow....that's what I'd do.
  • ut_och_cykla
    ut_och_cykla Posts: 1,594
    I'm not recommneding beer as recovery - but yes a moderate amount of carbs on going to bed, a more relaxed body etc may well have helped you feel on the ball in the morning. If you commute very day and are not eating optimally you may well be low on carbs in the morning. Try the same thing without alcohol - sarnie & a glass of milk for example and see if that helps with the morning run? Don't ry even more beer though - it might put you over the limit in the morning!
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    Occasionally during the summer months we stop off for a couple of beers near the end of a ride, it's like an injection of speed, you fly over those 5 remaining miles, all the hills are reduced to slight inclines and your average speed gets a slight boost.
    Beer is magic juice, god knows why the tour don't stop for a couple of pints with 20k to go, christ those riders would fly after 2 or 3 pints of Old Peculier.
  • Herbsman
    Herbsman Posts: 2,029
    Alcohol numbs the senses. You probably felt like you were making less effort.
    CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!
  • Pseudonym
    Pseudonym Posts: 1,032
    Bozman wrote:
    Beer is magic juice, god knows why the tour don't stop for a couple of pints with 20k to go, christ those riders would fly after 2 or 3 pints of Old Peculier.

break011_1.jpg
  • denzzz28
    Pseudonym wrote:
    Bozman wrote:

break011_1.jpg
    :D
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    Pseudonym wrote:
    Bozman wrote:

break011_1.jpg

:D:D:D:D
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    Pseudonym wrote:
    Bozman wrote:

break011_1.jpg

:D:D:D:D

Quality!
  • Wiggo is not in this photo because he was at the bar getting the next round in.
    Live to ski
    Ski to live
  • bigpikle
    bigpikle Posts: 1,690
    it must be true - I had a bottle of Hooky Gold last night and added 17w to my PB 20 min average power on my FTP test today. Next time I'll have 5 bottles and it will be amazing!
    Your Past is Not Your Potential...
  • thiscocks
    thiscocks Posts: 549
    speciher_1933.jpg
  • denzzz28
    thiscocks wrote:
    speciher_1933.jpg
    :lol: