Recovery drinks

DRCorsa
DRCorsa Posts: 23
I am about to buy a recovery drink and i am between 2 products. The first is High5 Protein Recovery and the other is High5 Protein Pure.
The difference is that the first is a mix of carbs and protein (65gr carbs / 26gr protein per 100gr) and the second is a pure protein drink containing 94gr protein per 100gr.

Let's say you have done a really hard workout and you need some protein for recovery as soon as you return home. Which one would you choose? Will you choose to get 16gr of protein and 39gr of carbs, or a pure 56g of protein and refuel later with your normal food?
I note that each serving gets 60gr of the powder.

Which one is better for a cyclist?
Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Pseudonym
    Pseudonym Posts: 1,032
    Neither are worth the effort, IMO. Just buy some chocolate milk and a tin of tuna...
  • DRCorsa
    I see your point, but i've heard/read that recovery drinks are easier/faster digestible by the athlete's body that some normal food. So you have the protein and all other ingredients faster and inside the 20min window after the workout.
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    t.m.h.n.e.t Posts: 2,265
    Nothing wrong with tuna and choccy milk. Much cheaper too!
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    Or buy some whey protein from myprotein and save yourself a packet over the High5 stuff.
    More problems but still living....
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789

Is it? Tin of decent tuna is about a quid these days for 25g of protein. 25g of whey protein from myprotein can cost less than 25p depending on how big a bag you buy.
    More problems but still living....
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    amaferanga wrote:

Is it? Tin of decent tuna is about a quid these days for 25g of protein. 25g of whey protein from myprotein can cost less than 25p depending on how big a bag you buy.
    Much cheaper than buying forumulated recovery drinks. If you want to talk protein powders,that changes everything.
  • Pseudonym
    Pseudonym Posts: 1,032
    amaferanga wrote:

Dunno about you, but I would rather fix myself up with a choc milk and a tuna pita after a ride than a pile of whey powder.. ;)
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    amaferanga wrote:

Much cheaper than buying forumulated recovery drinks. If you want to talk protein powders,that changes everything.
    PS:Are you renting a boat to catch your own tuna? 6 120g tins of John West nodrain is £5 in asda or 83p each
  • bigpikle
    bigpikle Posts: 1,690
    amaferanga wrote:
    Or buy some whey protein from myprotein and save yourself a packet over the High5 stuff.

bulk bag of maltodextrin (carbs) and a bag of impact whey protein from myprotein is FAR cheaper than branded stuff and you can choose your flavours. The maltex also makes MUCH cheaper energy drink as well :D:D:D

Read the ingredients list - its exactly what the brands use in their drinks anyway, just with foul flavourings usually :evil:
    Your Past is Not Your Potential...
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    Bigpikle wrote:
    amaferanga wrote:

bulk bag of maltodextrin (carbs) and a bag of impact whey protein from myprotein is FAR cheaper than branded stuff and you can choose your flavours. The maltex also makes MUCH cheaper energy drink as well :D:D:D

Read the ingredients list - its exactly what the brands use in their drinks anyway, just with foul flavourings usually :evil:
    MP stuff is cheapy mc cheap. I just mix mine with (lol) sugar free dilutey juice. Asda Fruit Salad is rather nice
  • DRCorsa
    Tuna tins maybe more expensive that whey protein from myprotein, but the tuna will give you omega-3 fat,vitamins etc, and not only protein. Am i right?
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    DRCorsa wrote:
    Tuna tins maybe more expensive that whey protein from myprotein, but the tuna will give you omega-3 fat,vitamins etc, and not only protein. Am i right?
    100%
  • DRCorsa
    I think recovery formulations and pure protein powders are mainly for bodybuilders who find difficult to get the required protein only from food.
    As a cyclist i will prefer to take protein from food, which is more natural and better for my body.
  • Herbsman
    Herbsman Posts: 2,029
    Pseudonym wrote:
    Neither are worth the effort, IMO. Just buy some chocolate milk and a tin of tuna...
    This
    CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    DRCorsa wrote:
    I think recovery formulations and pure protein powders are mainly for bodybuilders who find difficult to get the required protein only from food.
    As a cyclist i will prefer to take protein from food, which is more natural and better for my body.
    Yeah. The fine line is when they become calorie intake opposed to supplements.
  • cyco2
    cyco2 Posts: 593
    Whey protein comes from milk so why buy it processed at an inflated price when it can be bought for 50p a litre. If then you want calories then add a desert spoon or two of glucose (Dextrose) at about £1.30 for 450grms which is about 1800 calories. The sports drink people are really p..ded off they did not invented this drink. So, they made something up which has virtually the same in it as milk and glucose, plus some things you do not need, at many times the price.
    ...................................................................................................

If you want to be a strong rider you have to do strong things.
    However if you train like a cart horse you'll race like one.
  • Polonium.
    Polonium. Posts: 24
    I just prefer a tub of cottage cheese after each long ride or training session.
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    Polonium. wrote:
    I just prefer a tub of cottage cheese after each long ride or training session.
    Wrong type of protein for recovery really :p Casein digests really slowly so suitable for satiety and overnight recovery. Whey uptakes much quicker.

But each to their own
  • TheBullet
    TheBullet Posts: 58
    To answer the original question: in the first 30 mins after a workout the most important thing is getting high gi carbs as they are taken up faster by the body and replenish important glycogen stores. Then later on get some protein in you either by a protein drink or food but that's up to you.
    Winners never quit and quitters never win!!