Music: are you cool?

neilo23
neilo23 Posts: 783
edited April 2012 in The bottom bracket
I loved Queen between the ages of 13 and 15. Discovered punk. Queen = not cool
Loved Marc Almnond 15 - 18 (never was, never will be cool)

I'm going to be 40 this year and I can listen to both in a kind of "loved em in my youth" kind of way, but am old enough to actually not give a shit if they are/were cool. Nowadays bands like Muse say that they were Queen fans. Good luck to em. Who are your embarrassing favourites?

Comments

• graham.
    graham. Posts: 862
    One of the benefits of being over 40 (Possibly the only benefit.) Is that you can enjoy whatever music you wish and not have to feel embarassed, or try to justify it.
    In my teens and early twenties I was a fan of what came to be known as "Prog Rock", I occasionly play it back now, and I can see that some of it was a load of band wagon jumping pretensious twaddle, but a good amount of it stands up really well.
    I work as a photographer on behalf of The Assembly Rooms in Derby and a few months back I got to photograph one of my heros, Steve Howe (Yes guitarist.), It was an intimate performance in the small hall and out of respect for the paying punters I photographed from the wings. He gave me a minor bollocking in the interval for being inhis line of sight, apparently he caught a reflection in my lens as it poked through the curtain!...I was just happy that he spoke to me. :D
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Graham. wrote:
    One of the benefits of being over 40 (Possibly the only benefit.) Is that you can enjoy whatever music you wish and not have to feel embarassed, or try to justify it.
    THIS.
    I may or may not have been cool when young. I did move with the times (slightly ahead of the curve) back in the day but it doesn't matter now.
    I doubt I could be cool now even if I did everything "right". Fortunately, I don't care.
    Perpective - I bought a tweed jacket last year. I am now officially an old man. :oops:
    Again, I don't care. :D
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    Another repeat of the above.
    I'm 40 in may, and whilst there is a certain type of music I gravitate to, and I think I was one of the musos at school and Uni, I listen to what ever makes me smile now. I really don't give a sh1t what anyone else thinks.

I think as a 40yr old, I'd look a bit of a tw*t driving down the road taking the music seriously and trying to look cool.
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    41 and all I mostly listen to on the iPod is 80s mix. Bit of Rod Stewart in there (baby Jane) Elton John (I'm Still Standing) through to the The Jam, The Smiths, Joy Division, Simple Minds, U2, Flock of Seagulls, Duran Duran, tears for Fears, A-ha. Loved it all in the 80s.

Current music probably only listen to Coldplay I suppose.
  • Sevenfold
    Sevenfold Posts: 86
    51 next week & I listen to everything from classical & opera to some fairly heavy metal (Avenged Sevenfold, Bullet for My Valentine, In Flames, Blind Guardian, Hammerfall, Helloween etc etc.) but virtually nothing in between apart from (occasionally) Dire Straits, Runrig & Idlewild. Listen to what you want to is more view, generally the louder the better!
  • CambsNewbie
    CambsNewbie Posts: 564
    I'm 39 this year and again the music I listened to wasn't considered cool. I loved the Pet Shop Boys and Erasure. Also loved early Madonna (upto and including the Like a Prayer album). I guess that should have been a warning sign to my parents about my future 'lifestyle choices'!!
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,965
    No, not cool at all.

Graham^^^ mirrors my feelings on it. I'm 53 now and happy to think that I no longer have to chase "cool" in anything, and can now settle down into quiet eccentricity.

The older I get, the better I was.

• I don't get any un-cooler,

I'm 46 and listen to mostly dance music day to day, especially hardcore and drum'n'bass.

I still have a soft spot for my favourite bands from my teens/20's, Marillion, Hawkwind, Captain Beefheart, and indie/John Peel type stuff from The Fall and The Wedding Present.
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    t.m.h.n.e.t Posts: 2,265
    I have a soft spot for Europe even though I didn't exist at the height of their fame.
  • Ae not cool... still listening to grunge and rock from the 90s... take me back please! :cry:
  • DavMartinR
    DavMartinR Posts: 897
    What is cool music today? Used to watch TOTP every Thursday and try and tape the songs of the radio on the chart show Sunday afternoons, But today I couldn't name a sing singer/group in the charts. :?
  • CambsNewbie
    DavMartinR wrote:
    What is cool music today? Used to watch TOTP every Thursday and try and tape the songs of the radio on the chart show Sunday afternoons, But today I couldn't name a sing singer/group in the charts. :?

I was a fellow taper as well. So frustrating when the tape ran out in the middle of the song!

I never have and very much doubt I will ever 'be cool' yet strangely my life goes on..
  • Omar Little
    Omar Little Posts: 2,010
    I set the trends on what will be cool in a few months or years time, but at the moment it might not seem cool. By the time it is cool i will already have moved on. :D

Music taste is so subjective so i dont really care what other people like or what they think about what i listen to. I find it amusing seeing people write off whole genres as being crap rather than just being something not to their taste and i feel a bit sorry for those that are stuck in their ways and unwilling to try something new. Music brings back youthful memories like nothing else can, so i get why people still like listening to what they did as a teenager (i do too) - but that doesn't mean everything produced after a certain date is shit.
  • bristolpete
    bristolpete Posts: 2,255

Still listen to Faith no more a few times a week. One of my all time favourite bands. The 'kids' at work think I am a legend as I saw them a few times way back when...!
  • jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    Steps, Gemini, Five, The Vengaboys, NKOTB, Bros, So Solid Crew. Yep, I'm down with the kids.
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    jordan_217 wrote:
    Steps, Gemini, Five, The Vengaboys, NKOTB, Bros, So Solid Crew. Yep, I'm down with the kids.

LOVE the Vengaboys.

Well, this bad boy anyway.

Saw them at Uni and they were great.
  • jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    jordan_217 wrote:

LOVE the Vengaboys.

Well, this bad boy anyway.

Saw them at Uni and they were great.

I'm sure they love you too Rick. Just like I do
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,163
    I'll be hitting 40 in November and like most I'm listening to the music from my youth (80s) including decent rock stuff but also the cheesy stuff I liked at the time such as Thompson Twins, Adam & The Ants etc.

As I've got older I've also started to appreciated music from before my time that I would have said was c*ap back in my teens, mainly classic rock, as it was from my parent's era and I even enjoy a bit of Frank Sinatra and co.

The music I enjoy that I would generally turn down low when passing people in the street though has to be songs from musicals. I love the likes of Les Mis and Phantom but tend not to drive around with it on loud and my windows open!
  • RDW
    RDW Posts: 1,900
    I could mention my favourite bands, but there's not really much point - none of you will have heard of them yet :)
  • MrT
    MrT Posts: 260
    Earliest memory of ToTP was the crazy world of Arthur Brown-Fire great headgear. Then on teens loved punk UK Subs S& the Banshees but still loving the music went a bit ponsey ( cool at the time) by getting into Gauloises and Miles Davis. Fron china crisis to the cult 808 state to Roni Size. Cool/uncool/ crap it's a slither of what makes us who we are.
    Still listen to Miles though and have now got my kids into Jamiroquai though please I beg them to keep illy nuts out of my ears. Come July get kraftwerk on!
  • Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    "Cool" means nothing more than being too frightened to not be like everyone else.

Go your own way, now that's really cool.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Smokin Joe wrote:
    "Cool" means nothing more than being too frightened to not be like everyone else.

Go your own way, now that's really cool.
    I had a thought along the same lines.
    Some try too hard and end up uncool. Some don't try at all and end up ice cool.
    It is more about confidence and attitude than your clothes, music or what you do.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    I saw The Clash at the Lyceum in 1978. I've been cool ever since.
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • griffsters
    griffsters Posts: 490
    My 'formative' years were spent listening too and going to see Erasure and the Pet Shop Boys. I also liked Depeche Mode and Yazoo (bit of a Vince Clarke theme goin' on). To a smaller extent Alison Moyet when she went solo after Vince quit, Kraftwerk & Propoganda.

Now, I'm 41 and have got into Bruce Springsteen in a massive way over the last couple of years to the point where its pretty much all I listen to at the moment - but then there is a hell of a back catalogue to get thru and absorb :lol: The guys songs just seem to resonate with me and its first time in years i've felt moved to go to a concert, cant wait for The Boss this summer!

Am I cool? Most definately not!
  • thecrofter
    thecrofter Posts: 734
    Music: are you cool?......

To my 17 yr old nephew I'm reasonably cool, I did see Rage against the machine in '93, but to my 13 yr old daughter I am not cool, I like lame old people's music, Stones, Beatles and I'm soooo looking forward to seeing Tom Petty in Dublin this summer. Then again to my 8 yr old son I'm cool, AC/DC, Bowie, White Stripes.

Coolness seems to me to more down to other peoples perceptions. As has been said I'm at an age now (48) when I can be myself and not worry about fitting into a music-business-category.

BTW I had to smile at CambsNewbie's comments re music liked and "lifestyle choices", should you be changing your username to CampsNewbie :lol:
    You've no won the Big Cup since 1902!
  • CambsNewbie
    thecrofter wrote:

BTW I had to smile at CambsNewbie's comments re music liked and "lifestyle choices", should you be changing your username to CampsNewbie :lol:

How very dare you! Right.. That's it.. I'm going to mince off and re-arrange my cushions, and put my Kylie CDs into alphabetical order.. (hums 'I am what I am...')
  • thecrofter
    thecrofter Posts: 734
    thecrofter wrote:

How very dare you! Right.. That's it.. I'm going to mince off and re-arrange my cushions, and put my Kylie CDs into alphabetical order.. (hums 'I am what I am...')
    :lol:
    You've no won the Big Cup since 1902!
  • 42 years of age and don't know if I'm getting cooler or sadder!

Back in the days of World Of Sport and Sale Of The Century, Adam And The Ants, Blondie, Yazoo and Depeche Mode were my musical weapons of choice.

These days, it's all about BBC 6music for my indie thrills. I'm also being successfully brainwashed (earwashed?) into 70's soul'n'funk by fellow bikeradarian EightOhEight.....
    Let's close our eyes and see what happens
  • mr_eddy
    mr_eddy Posts: 830
    Stiltskin - Inside, one hit wonder.

For bands I used to be quite into republica.
  • Redhog14
    Redhog14 Posts: 1,377
    First 2 gigs I went to were The Pogues and The Wonderstuff (before they added all the stupid fiddles) it gained me some respect at School from what I remember. then went to London to stay with my brother anc got to see Santana, The Rolling Stones, Little Feat, The Kinks and Prince all in one summer!
    I benefited from older siblings who mainly had good taste, The Jam, The Who, Buzzcocks, George Micheal (only kidding) but i still seek out new music and old so love 6Music esp Saturday night Soul and Funk show, best 2 hours of music on radio.
    Am i cool? I don't know I just like what I like.
    Top 3 gigs:
    The Killers - T in the Park 2009
    Jamiroquoi - Barrowlands, Glasgow 2004 - just before he got too big..
    The Kinks - Town and Country Club, London 1989