you've had your bacon...

team47b
team47b Posts: 6,425
edited March 2012 in The bottom bracket
The BBC radio service said you are gonna die* if you eat bacon so what are you going to do?

(couldn't wind up enough people with my weird views on vegetarianism and not owning a TV!)

*approx quote!
my isetta is a 300cc bike

Comments

• Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    team47b wrote:
    The BBC radio service said you are gonna die* if you eat bacon so what are you going to do?
    (couldn't wind up enough people with my weird views on vegetarianism and not owning a TV!)
    *approx quote!
    Get the frying pan out, crack open a pack of smoked back, savour the resulting aroma, place the contents of the pan reverently on thick white crusty sliced bread, add lashings of tomato ketchup (it has to be Heinz), sit back and enjoy a slow death! Heaven! :twisted:
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    ^ *applauds and wipes away a tear*
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 4,023
    Apart from the sauce bit. It's disgusting stuff and I don't understand why anyone would spoil good meat with it.
  • BiggerBoat
    BiggerBoat Posts: 168
    We need a bigger boat.

Giant OCR 4
    Trek Madone 5.2
    Ridgeback Speed (FCN 15)
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    Thankyou !!
    I've just decided what I'm going to have for breakfast !! Back soon, I have a pack of bacon to put under the grill...............
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • Trickyh
    Trickyh Posts: 50
    Stick the waste of space scientists who carried out the ''study'' in a Ford Fiesta and toss in a hand grenade?
  • CambsNewbie
    CambsNewbie Posts: 564
    Seems a good way to go to me...
  • Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    Seems only fair as the pig put himself out as well.
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    bacon_t-shirt-739871.jpg
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • GiantMike
    GiantMike Posts: 3,139
    The study was based on a US study. In the US bacon is 99.3% fat* so I don't think it's directly comparable to our lovely British bacon.

Also the study produces a correlation (i.e. there was a linkage) but not a causation (i.e. no definite blame). It was a good study but NOT clinical, and relied on what people said they ate rather than what they actually shoved in their fat gobs.

* roughly 99.3%. Could be lower. Probably is lower but I like to exaggerate. I REALLY like to exaggerate. I do it all the time. I give it 110% when it comes to exaggerating.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Even stanger - IIRC in the report as reported on the news yesterday, apparently if you cut out some red meat and replace it with pulses you will reduce your chances of dying by 20%. :? :? :?
    "Nuts were said to reduce the risk of dying by 20% - making a case for swapping roast beef for nut roast."
    Source
    http://news.sky.com/home/uk-news/article/16187521
    I am fairly certain that no matter what I eat that there is a 100% chance of me dying.

Either the report or the reporting of it is seriously flawed. :twisted:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • MattC59
    Lets be honest, if it was a US study, then who's to say that the bacon is to blame. If you're eating enough bacon to cause an issue, I suspect that you're also eating a lot of other sh*te as well !!!

My sandwich was lovely by the way :D
  • GiantMike
    GiantMike Posts: 3,139
    daviesee wrote:
    I am fairly certain that no matter what I eat that there is a 100% chance of me dying.

Well that's a defeatest attitude. If you think about it, exercise REDUCES the risk of death and eating INCREASES it. Therefore, by doing loads of exercise and not eating you can actually live forever*.

* caveat: I'm not a trained medical professional.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    I haven't read about it myself, but according to Mrs Bomp, who knows about these things, it was a spectacularly badly designed study, with no attempt to correct for obvious factors like smoking and other diet things.
    So the conclusion probably translates as something like "if you're an unhealthy obese american who eats a lot of bacon then you'll be less healthy than someone who eats healthily"
  • trekker12
    trekker12 Posts: 99
    add lashings of tomato ketchup (it has to be Heinz), sit back and enjoy a slow death! Heaven! :twisted:

Off topic (slightly) but I had this opinion until in a last minute need for ketchup the other week we dived in Marks and Spencer and bought their own brand ketchup which is just utterly delicious! Ms Trekker and I are now completely converted!

In fact when my parents visited last weekend Mum actually said she didn't need the bacon in her sandwich and could just have the ketchup in it - I disagreed on that point and continued to eat the delicious fresh bacon from our friend who keeps pigs and not the mass produced, watered down grain fed stuff from the supermarket (I've made a few assumptions there).
    2007 Trek 1.2
    2014 Genesis Equilibrium 20
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    well i'm veggie and me and peter say this
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • MattC59
    trekker12 wrote:
    add lashings of tomato ketchup (it has to be Heinz), sit back and enjoy a slow death! Heaven! :twisted:

Off topic (slightly) but I had this opinion until in a last minute need for ketchup the other week we dived in Marks and Spencer and bought their own brand ketchup which is just utterly delicious! Ms Trekker and I are now completely converted!

Leave this place now !!
    I believe what you're saying is tantamount to treason !!
  • Keith47
    Keith47 Posts: 158
    Bacon is bad for you, so is red meat, dairy products, salt, sugar and according to the book "Big Fat Lies", fruit, vegetables, rice and pasta are bad for you too.So I guess I'll just have to starve. That's not bad for you ......is it? :?
    The problem is we are not eating food anymore, we are eating food-like products.
  • griffsters
    griffsters Posts: 490
    An interesting read about western diet and 'diseases of affluence' is The China Study. Some pretty compelling stuff in it for sure. Definately made me more aware of what i'm shovelling in my gob!
  • team47b
    not so much cogito ergo sum.

Or So hum.

more like ho hum then :D
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,965
    You can cut out red meat.

Cut out sweets and fatty food.

Only eat stuff that's really healthy and fat free.

Give up drinking too.

You won't live any longer, it will just feel like it.

The older I get, the better I was.

• CambsNewbie
    CambsNewbie Posts: 564
    Well all this talk of bacon gave me a craving.. So I had to do it. A nice bacon roll with Heinz ketchup. Delicious!

So when can I expect the Grim Reaper? And do I buy extra time by having it in wholemeal granary bread and cooking the bacon on a 'George Foreman'?
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Indeed, the study would be more accurately summed up like this: ‘The kind of people who say they eat quite a lot of red meat and processed meat are slightly more likely to die before they reach 75 years of age than those who say they don’t eat very much of those things.’
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    bompington wrote:
    Indeed, the study would be more accurately summed up like this: ‘The kind of people who say they eat quite a lot of red meat and processed meat are slightly more likely to die before they reach 75 years of age than those who say they don’t eat very much of those things.’
    Conclusion from the above article - some people will live longer than others.
    Who'd have thunk it? :roll:
    Sometimes I think these scientists are more concerned with getting their grant/tenureship renewed than actually coming up with something new.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    Scheiße!

6b824adbc06ff35de7ca3e543893fcad.jpg
  • neiltb
    neiltb Posts: 332
    the newso's seem to be getting worse for sure, reporting any old tat if they think it sounds like a story.

This morning I awoke to a news report on how a study has found that hospitals that spend more money on patient care, keep people alive longer than those that spend less.

That study probably took longer to write than figure out.
    FCN 12
  • eede
    eede Posts: 58
    After the bug that killed half a dozen people in Europe last year was traced to organic vegetables, I'd hoped we'd come full circle with these bull stories.
    Friend of Herne Hill Velodrome: http://www.hernehillvelodrome.com/friends/
  • MattC59
    I read this, this morning and couldn't resist a bacon buttie. Mrs C has jsut got home from work, knackered, and said "I can't be ar*ed to cook tonight, lets have a bacon sarnie. So we did.

Will I be dead tomorrow ? :shock:
  • team47b
    MattC59 wrote:
    I read this, this morning and couldn't resist a bacon buttie. Mrs C has jsut got home from work, knackered, and said "I can't be ar*ed to cook tonight, lets have a bacon sarnie. So we did.

Subliminal Subliminal Subliminal Subliminal Subliminal Subliminal Subliminal Subliminal Subliminal Subliminal Subliminal Subliminal Subliminal Subliminal Subliminal Subliminal lentils Subliminal Subliminal Subliminal Subliminal Subliminal Subliminal Subliminal Subliminal :D
  • MattC59
    team47b wrote:
    MattC59 wrote:

Subliminal Subliminal Subliminal Subliminal Subliminal Subliminal Subliminal Subliminal Subliminal Subliminal Subliminal Subliminal Subliminal Subliminal Subliminal Subliminal lentils Subliminal Subliminal Subliminal Subliminal Subliminal Subliminal Subliminal Subliminal :D

Puy, are lovely with salmon and............. lardons :lol: