Using daughter as a training aid?

cyclingsheep
cyclingsheep Posts: 640
Hey everyone

I'm a stay at home dad with a 10month old daughter who's signed up for Etape du Tour act2 (me not my daughter :-) ). I have a reasonable level of fitness (able to complete 100 flatish miles at 16mph avg) but can definitely do with more training. Problem is time, she only sleeps for 30mins at a stretch (unless in the bike trailer or carseat) so turbo sessions have to be short and intense with a long ride on the weekends. I can get an hour to hour and a half towing her in a trailer most days so my question is what is the best type of training to do with her in tow? Power work is easiest obviously with pushing a bigger gear but I'm worried about my endurance....any ideas?

Comments

• Surfr
    Surfr Posts: 243
    2x20 minute intervals with 5 mins recovery? Makes a great endurance and power session out of an hour including warm up and down. The timetriallers favourite
  • Sorry to be thick but what intensity do I do the intervals at?
  • ut_och_cykla
    ut_och_cykla Posts: 1,594
    With her in tow I'd say you need to focus on her comfort. Riding really fast in trafick /over surfaces you don't know puts you at risk for a crash. Ride as consistently fast as you can for the time you have available. Use the turbo for harder efforts - perhaps she would be happy in a sitter watching you? Riding with atrailer is great -I did it with my twins but it was always at their comfort level. they grew to love whole days out - picnic, beach, walk, sleep and 70-80kms in bits!
  • GiantMike
    GiantMike Posts: 3,139
    a 10 month old daughter...so my question is what is the best type of training to do with her in tow?

I'd try taking her to some kind of childcare and training alone (unless she's doing the Etape with you and needs to get the miles in).
  • Can I just say to ut_och_cykla of course my daughter's comfort is the priority as is her safety so training is being done around outside of Richmond Park on a mtb when she is with me avoiding traffic and not on unknown roads, I'm just trying to maximise the benefits as much as possible. Thanks GiantMike, if money and time were no object then I wouldn't even consider training with her however I am still awaiting my lottery winnings so I'm squeezing training in where I can.
  • maryka
    maryka Posts: 748
    Whereabouts do you live... I'm in Kingston in the same boat (stay at home parent, 9-month-old baby needing watching over, wanting to get out and ride), maybe we should join childcare forces and try to trade babysitting favours!
  • Hey maryka

We live just over Richmond Bridge in East Twickenham. Definitely interested in any chance to get out on the bike more. PM me and we can discuss things in more detail :-)
  • joshr96
    joshr96 Posts: 153
    Is it just me who'd love to be small again in ride in one of them things? Only this time with my dad pelting it down the road? Meh, just thoughts, this isn't a good idea, think of her safety.

As said above, its good to do short, 20 minute intervals with quick recovery times. Do them with a high gear and really push hard til you feel the burn in your legs. This will get your legs toned for what you need to do.
    Carrera TDF 2011 Limited Edition.
    Crossbow Hybrid
    Boardman AiR 9.8 one day..
  • mattshrops
    mattshrops Posts: 1,134
    2x20 is at race pace /90% mhr/zone 4/10mile tt effort

Thats probably why the remark about safety. bit difficult to be able to concentrate on both.
    Death or Glory- Just another Story
  • ut_och_cykla
    ut_och_cykla Posts: 1,594
    Can I just say to ut_och_cykla of course my daughter's comfort is the priority as is her safety so training is being done around outside of Richmond Park on a mtb when she is with me avoiding traffic and not on unknown roads, I'm just trying to maximise the benefits as much as possible. Thanks GiantMike, if money and time were no object then I wouldn't even consider training with her however I am still awaiting my lottery winnings so I'm squeezing training in where I can.
    I'm sure it was - was just thinking of others who might think we cycle trailer folk were irresponsible....I cycled for about 4 years with my twins in tow - shopping, holidays everything on roads & ccyle paths - never a problem - as I said great for mum/dad & kids!
  • maryka
    maryka Posts: 748
    Cyclingsheep, PM coming later today once I get back from my long ride (parents are visiting from Canada right now so taking advantage of the free babysitting while I can!)

Does anyone know who the woman is riding around on a road bike in team kit pulling a chariot behind her in the park around 5pmish? I wave every time I see her, thinking "that's impressive/crazy", one of these days I'll have to pull a u-turn and ride up to her and ask her who she rides for. I'm guessing she's quite strong without towing a trailer behind!
  • Maryka, lucky having your parents over. Mine are in NZ so not likely to get a visit anytime soon. Hope you had a decent ride. I managed to get some time in the gym as their creche had a space finally.