Specialized Stumpjumper for just under 400 quid

2»

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Yeah, good weight, though mine bizarrely had a steel steerer!

I think the reason for my open mind is that I don't think everyone needs 30 speed, disc brakes, ultra stiff forks and the like. A nice light, rim braked machine for cycling to work and getting on the local trails works so well for some. This is essentially what I have done with my Zaskar LE: turned it into a machine that is ok on the roads, yet I can turn off into the woods and still have a good performer. With rigid forks is about 20lbs, and cost very little!
  • supersonic
    chez_m356 wrote:
    link for standard spec http://www.specialized.com/gb/gb/bc/SBC ... &gold_ses= obviously been re braked though

If is that spec, and all works well, I'd offer £300.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    That was my 'mental price' as well. It looks tidy, and like I say if it had seen a hard life those forks wouldn't have lasted 10 minutes!

The fact the cranks aren't scuffed could be indicative of that too, those looked insanely tatty within seconds.

Do I get a prize for knowing the year and the original spec?! :-)
  • danm004
    danm004 Posts: 15
    njee20 wrote:
    Those ones really weren't, we had a set on our demo Epic from the same year (same spec, bouncy rear end) they were totally trashed within 6 months, had to replace them. Admittedly the bike saw a hard life, I think people thought it was their prerogative to totally abuse the bike as it wasn't theirs, but still... far too much plastic on them for my liking. Light though, 28mm stantions and what not.
    Thanks mate!
    Well the bike looks in great nick and the fella said he bought it second hand in 2010 and it has been in the cellar basically since then.

Still, I've been put off now! :p
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    supersonic wrote:
    I loved my Skarabs! Though were 2005 versions. Very smooth, well damped and utterly reliable.
    I still love my Skarebs, Elite with Mag lower and SPV, still work lovely, metallic purple which I think is either 2005 or 2006.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    I wouldnt offer anything for it, I dont think it'd be worth the hassle, especially considering you could get an absolute blinder of a 2nd hand bike for £400 (its just finding the right one)

The other problem with its age is when it comes to servicing. I mean, can you still get seal kits for old 28mm manitous? I'd imagine the forks would need a service straight away since I bet they've never been done before.
  • supersonic
    Skareb parts are widely available.
  • danm004
    Alternative here?

Cube Attention (2010) - roughly 340 POUNDS.
    http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie ... TQ:DE:1123

Translation of description:
    You are bidding on:

1 CUBE Attention mountain bike!

The mountain bike is used but in top condition!

Tires as good as new!

Frame is suitable for a height of 1.80 to 1.85 m.

Disc brakes, lockable suspension fork, Shimano circuit

Original price: 999 €

Since it is a private purchase warranty of any kind is excluded!

Have fun bidding!

Worth a pop at 350?
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    Skareb parts are widely available.

I learn something new everyday. I could have sworn that you couldnt get old manitou spares though, or perhaps it was TF tuned that stopped distributing them?

Dunno about that Cube, if it was me, Id get summat with rigids forks since it doesnt sound like you'll really need suspension for the riding you are describing.
  • supersonic
    danm004 wrote:
    Alternative here?

Cube Attention (2010) - roughly 340 POUNDS.
    http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie ... TQ:DE:1123

Translation of description:
    You are bidding on:

1 CUBE Attention mountain bike!

The mountain bike is used but in top condition!

Tires as good as new!

Frame is suitable for a height of 1.80 to 1.85 m.

Disc brakes, lockable suspension fork, Shimano circuit

Original price: 999 €

Since it is a private purchase warranty of any kind is excluded!

Have fun bidding!

Worth a pop at 350?

Not for me. Really poor forks, will be several pounds heavier than the Stumpy. Has disc brakes, but I'd only buy if you want to upgrade the fork straight away and plan to use the bike over harder, muddier terrain.
  • danm004
    Thanks mate. Arghhhh. This is difficult finding a bike when you don't really know what you're searching for :p
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I'll sell you a bike. One carefull elderly lady owner. Only used it for church on Sunday. Special price for you only. You know you can trust me Guv.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • supersonic
    It seems you are after a lightweight hardtail with short travel forks. 2nd hand is hard to advise as is so many out there, so can be pot luck finding them.
  • danm004
    500 quid? :D
  • danm004
    supersonic wrote:
    It seems you are after a lightweight hardtail with short travel forks. 2nd hand is hard to advise as is so many out there, so can be pot luck finding them.
    Yep yep. I don't know.. pfft. very difficult. Thanks anyways for the help, greatly appreciated mate.