Moving to Manchester, advice wanted!

2»

Comments

• ilm_zero7
    ilm_zero7 Posts: 2,213
    DONT!
    http://veloviewer.com/SigImage.php?a=3370a&r=3&c=5&u=M&g=p&f=abcdefghij&z=a.png
    Wiliers: Cento Uno/Superleggera R and Zero 7. Bianchi Infinito CV and Oltre XR2
  • de_sisti
    de_sisti Posts: 1,283
    I was brought up in Manchester, living in Moss Side (400m from MCFC, even though I'm a United supporter)
    and Cheetham Hill. If you're intending to move to the north of the city, I would say Prestwich. However,
    if was moving back I'd stay in the south. Timperley, Altrincham, Sale, Sale Moor, Heaton Moor. On the
    outskirts of South Manchester are Bowden, Hale Barns and Chedle Hulme. These will be very expensive.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    mudcow007 wrote:
    NapoleonD wrote:
    It was probably Widnes ;)

dont people who live in Widnes grow gills behind their ears?
    Pokerface wrote:
    Somewhere around Hale or Altricnham isn't a bad shout. Tram link into the city centre and loads of places to ride. Not a 'bad' place to live either.

Hale?! as in by Speke in Liverpool?

i woudlnt live there if you paid me an bought me a house, its where all the scallywags (who have money) go to live to get away from the squats in Speke

No Hale, as in Hale. Right beside Altrincham. It's a very wealthy little village for the most part. No where near Liverpool.
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    De Sisti wrote:
    I was brought up in Manchester, living in Moss Side (400m from MCFC, even though I'm a United supporter)
    and Cheetham Hill. If you're intending to move to the north of the city, I would say Prestwich. However,
    if was moving back I'd stay in the south. Timperley, Altrincham, Sale, Sale Moor, Heaton Moor. On the
    outskirts of South Manchester are Bowden, Hale Barns
    and CheAdle Hulme. These will be very expensive.

and the rest, those are footballer land.

Macc's not bad. as for the rest: watch and learn http://youtu.be/x4Y5l8kv78s :wink:
  • rokkala
    rokkala Posts: 649
    Thanks for the feedback.

What's your thoughts on Chorlton as well?
  • KulaBen
    KulaBen Posts: 220
    Chorlton- full of trendy folk who buy organic veg, wear birkenstocks, spend 400k on a 3 bed house and pretend they're not next door to Moss Side. Jokes aside it's very nice, particularly around the green, but there is a definite 'type'.
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    Rokkala wrote:
    Thanks for the feedback.

What's your thoughts on Chorlton as well?

theres 2: 'cum-Hardy' is much nicer than 'on Medlock' (grotty cheap bit very close into the city centre, Apollo music venue & back end of Mcr Uni) assuming you're after C-c-H, quite urban, yuppified, more commuterville than student town a stones throw from the city centre via Moss Side and easy enough to get down to Sale Altringham etc.Not immediately accessible to the nice countryside & not somewhere I'd immediately think of if I was looking for quick access to good quiet road training rides but I'm not well up on the south side.

did someone miss a trick not having a Chorlton and the Wheelies cycling club or have I missed it
  • sheffsimon
    sheffsimon Posts: 1,282
    Pokerface wrote:
    mudcow007 wrote:
    NapoleonD wrote:
    It was probably Widnes ;)

dont people who live in Widnes grow gills behind their ears?
    Pokerface wrote:
    Somewhere around Hale or Altricnham isn't a bad shout. Tram link into the city centre and loads of places to ride. Not a 'bad' place to live either.

Hale?! as in by Speke in Liverpool?

i woudlnt live there if you paid me an bought me a house, its where all the scallywags (who have money) go to live to get away from the squats in Speke

No Hale, as in Hale. Right beside Altrincham. It's a very wealthy little village for the most part. No where near Liverpool.

Can vouch for the expensiveness (is that a word???) of Hale, do lots of work at Manc Apt, and often stay in Hale Barns. Had some v.expensive nights out.....nice place though..