Moving to Manchester, advice wanted!

rokkala
rokkala Posts: 649
edited March 2012 in The bottom bracket
Hello, I'm moving to Manchester in about a month for work and wanted to get an idea of what areas I should be looking at/avoiding.

My work will be pretty much bang in the middle of the city centre, but I want to live somewhere where I can ride out the door and be in good cycling country in not too much time.

No kids to think of, just the girlfriend. Don't want to have to commute by car, so good rail/metro links would be essential and a nice area in general.

Not mega-minted, probably looking at renting a 2-bedroom flat or house to begin with. Any thoughts please? Thanks :D

Comments

• napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Best bet is on the outskirts such as Hazel Grove to the South East or even Poynton. Easy access to the peak district and/or cheshire lanes and good travel links. Getting closer to the city centre means higher crime rates/anti social behaviour etc and further to ride.
    Or somewhere like Hale/Altrincham.
    Most of the other areas are pretty bad for crime rates etc, although its probably my skewed perspective as I actually know exactly what's going on!

However, I (and many others I work with) travel further afield living in the cheshire countryside and would rather have the commute. I live in Holmes Chapel, it's ace! Definitely worth travelling for...
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • also buy a gun. :) :P
    Coveryourcar.co.uk RT Tester
    north west of england.
  • OffTheBackAdam
    OffTheBackAdam Posts: 1,869
    Don't!
    Or is that advice too late?
    Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.
  • Somewhere in the south would be where i'd go, Didsbury village is a lovely area with great transport links to the city centre. Easy access to some lovely Cheshire countryside, some nice rides around Wilmslow and Alderley Edge. The Heatons are nice too though proper yuppie towns.
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    Don't!
    Or is that advice too late?

+1
  • rokkala
    I'm coming from Glasgow, so Mancs not exactly a scary proposition...

So is the consensus that it has to be somewhere south of the city to meet my criteria then? Prestwich and Bury etc to the North still dodgy for crime rates/nice areas?
  • Yossie
    Yossie Posts: 2,600
    Its not the scariness - its not - its just a dump. Spent 3 years there a while ago, nipped back as I flew into there and its still a dump.

Sorry.

Agree with Nap - live outside, commute in.
  • napoleond
    edited March 2012
    Somewhere in the south would be where i'd go, Didsbury village is a lovely area with great transport links to the city centre. Easy access to some lovely Cheshire countryside, some nice rides around Wilmslow and Alderley Edge. The Heatons are nice too though proper yuppie towns.

Didsbury has one of the highest burglary rates in the city. Heaton moor is very nice but has burglary probs too.
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    Is Didsbury still student central? Lots of young kids with their poorly-protected rooms stuffed with shiny electronics - ideal for the local scallys.

I was raised in N. Manchester - near Bury. The moors have a bleak beauty but the towns are, by and large, depressing sh!t holes. Heywood, Rochdale, Middleton, Bury. Just don't do it.

+1 for Hazel Grove, or anywhere along the rail link to Buxton, if you don't mind being a bit further out. New Mills is on the edge of the Peak District. I seem to remember that Wilmslow/Alderley Edge were OK.

Steve
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    You're gonna get crime wherever but its not like Dodge city here, the south is definitely more cycling centric than the north. But theres as many nice areas & good rides on the outskirts of Oldham , Ashton, Rochdale Bolton etc as Stockport & Didsbury. If you don't mind the distance, you could live on the south end of the Ribble valley area
  • DrKJM
    DrKJM Posts: 271
    It's been a while since I've been there for more than a visit but my Mum and sister still live south of the city. Woodsmoor/Great Moor/Davenport/Bramhall are all good in terms of access to the countryside and are close to the rail link into Manchester. Offerton maybe worth a look although I have no idea what it's like now in terms of crime etc. Marple has a rail link and is slap in the middle of God's country.
  • KulaBen
    KulaBen Posts: 220
    Stick to the south of the city, and the border with cheshire and the peaks and you're golden. Sadly as a result house prices there are some of the highest in the north of England. This is balanced slightly by insurance rates being very high in the north of the city! Bring a brolly and fit mudgaurds. Welcome!
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    I live in Nth. Mcr (Bury). Some fantastic cycling around here but it's up and down. Cragg Vale not far away and the roads out to Halifax and Huddersfield via Rochdale/Oldham and Preston via Bolton/Blackburn will test the best riders. Depends on your budget. Bromley Cross nr.Bolton was recently voted one of the most desirable places to live . South Manchester is OK if you want a Stockport or Wythenshawe postcode :wink:
    I an put my bike in the car and be in the Peak District (Glossop) in 30 mins from where I live. I'm not keen on Cheshire. Some lovely areas but crazy prices and crap drivers imo (Blackburn has some of the worst driving as well)
    M.Rushton
  • CYCLESPORT1
    CYCLESPORT1 Posts: 471
    Alderley Edge, like its neighbour Wilmslow, is famous for its affluence and expensive houses. It has a selection of expensive designer shops and cafe/restaurants that attract people living the true "Cheshire lifestyle", such as the numerous Premiership footballers, WAGs, actors and multi-millionaire North-West business people that live in and around the Wilmslow area. It is one of the most expensive and sought-after places to live in the UK outside of central London, and the base for CYCLESPORT INTERNATIONAL :D
  • rokkala
    Thanks all.

Somewhere south of the city it is then, narrows it down a bit at least.

Are there any weeknight hard/race-type group training rides to the south of Manchester that anyone knows of?
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    You could try the Wheelers:

http://www.manchesterwheelers.co.uk/

Steve
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs
  • napoleond
    Rokkala wrote:
    Thanks all.

Somewhere south of the city it is then, narrows it down a bit at least.

Are there any weeknight hard/race-type group training rides to the south of Manchester that anyone knows of?

Macclesfield Wheelers Thursday night chaingang, also on a Thursday there's training at Ashton circuit.
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • Yossie
    Bear in mind though that Macclesfield is the biggest shyyythole this side of Helmand. Its shocking rubbish. Really, really rubbish. Avoid at all costs.
  • napoleond
    But the chaingang is in the Cheshire countryside. And if you think Macc is bad try Stockport, Ashton, Oldham, Rochdale, Bury, Bolton, Wigan, stretford, Wythenshawe and all the areas in between ;)
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    Yossie wrote:
    Bear in mind though that Macclesfield is the biggest shyyythole this side of Helmand. Its shocking rubbish. Really, really rubbish. Avoid at all costs.

there's good and bad everywhere. Seems like you only notice the bad. Out of interest, where do you live?
    More problems but still living....
  • CYCLESPORT1
    CYCLESPORT1 Posts: 471
    Macclesfield is fine - you don't have to live at 1a opp. bus station view :!:
    Yossie wrote:
  • Yossie
    Wigan, Warrington, Widnes - I'd forgotten about them. I once spent a weekend in Warrington. Now that's a real dump. An ex lived around there as well: that was reason enough to bin her. She was lovely but I couldn't face having to go there and see her.

Avoid dumps like Alsager and anything Stoke on Trent related as well. Alsager is up there is the top 10 shyyyt holes of this world - hell holes populated by inbreds. So bad they even closed down the polyversity there. Hellish, hellish dump. Awful. Nothing there and people proud of it.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Somewhere around Hale or Altricnham isn't a bad shout. Tram link into the city centre and loads of places to ride. Not a 'bad' place to live either.
  • kev77
    kev77 Posts: 433
    Yossie wrote:
    Wigan, Warrington, Widnes - I'd forgotten about them. I once spent a weekend in Warrington. Now that's a real dump. An ex lived around there as well: that was reason enough to bin her. She was lovely but I couldn't face having to go there and see her.

Avoid dumps like Alsager and anything Stoke on Trent related as well. Alsager is up there is the top 10 shyyyt holes of this world - hell holes populated by inbreds. So bad they even closed down the polyversity there. Hellish, hellish dump. Awful. Nothing there and people proud of it.

Parts of Warrington are bad, but not that bad.

I am born and bred Warrington and i love the place, there are nice suburbs of Warrington which leaves me to ask where was this girl from? :shock:
  • Yossie
    Not sure, but her actual street was quite nice, she was seriously lovely, her parents were really, really nice but the whole town was freakin' awful. Warrington, Wigan, St Helens, all that way. I think it may even have been the outskirts of Bolton - I know it sounds awful, but its all the same to me really.

Wherever, it was shyyyt. Awful. Couldn't wait to get out of there.

Did I mention that it wasn't her, it was me?
  • napoleond
    It was probably Widnes ;)
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • kev77
    kev77 Posts: 433
    Yossie - where are you from?

enlighten us
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    NapoleonD wrote:

dont people who live in Widnes grow gills behind their ears?
    Pokerface wrote:
    Somewhere around Hale or Altricnham isn't a bad shout. Tram link into the city centre and loads of places to ride. Not a 'bad' place to live either.

Hale?! as in by Speke in Liverpool?

i woudlnt live there if you paid me an bought me a house, its where all the scallywags (who have money) go to live to get away from the squats in Speke
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • Yossie
    NapoleonD wrote:

Bizzarely enough, on one trip to Warrington I went with a couple of really good mates from Bootle - rough as Bootle lads.

We got in the cab and one of them turned around and said (in broad Bootle) "what's that f-ing stink?"

The cab driver stopped the cab, turned around and said, in pur Warrington: "That's fooookin' Widnes that is."

Needless to say we chortled quite loudly.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Can you keep an eye out for my MTB? Nicked from Loughborough and turned up in Manchester in pieces on Ebay a week later.