My first big ride!

BruunLoss
BruunLoss Posts: 103
Well with the support of various people on here and my determination, I decided to do my first big ride. Below is basically my blog entry and I have some pix of locations along the way on my site.

NEW DISTANCE RECORD!
Saturday 4.30am, I got up and prepared for the long journey. Camera's charged, tripod on my back, bike serviced the day before. Today I pass through 3 counties on a serious cycle and mental challenge for myself. The road to Drogheda in County Louth. 35 mins by car on the Motorway, 45mins by express train and a hell of a long time on the bike. You see, I had to take secondary roads, with no idea of the right path and cycle around big estuaries.

I planned to take some photos along the way and see if this helps with my battle against a severe anxiety disorder. So before I left, popped 2 tranquilizers into my mouth. Within 2 mins of leaving I noticed it started to drizzle. But no, it was not going to stop me, I had my mind set and people supporting me whom I didn't want to let down. Wind was also blowing me head on for the first 5 miles which took a lot of out of considering I was just up. Took my first caffeine gel to help with this. Cycled to Swords Village to use the facilities there as I know most places in small rural towns don't open till at least 8am and its only 5.15 now! First stop was Rush Harbour, it would have been a beautiful scene but tide was out and a glorious sunrise was not happening. From there I cycled onto Skerries harbor, someone put a hill in my way too, damn them! he he. Got there, not much better for pix, but still lovely view.

After that I cycled to Balbriggan and got some more water in a local garage, when the staff heard I was cycling from Baldoyle to Drogheda they were shocked. Inside I thought, me too, but hey, this is cool, I'm going to do it! They cycle from Balbriggan to Drogheda was a tougher stretch but luckily just outside Drogheda I found a roadside diner and had a big breakfast. From there I went to the train station asking when the next train was heading back to Dublin and it was just leaving. Managed to get onto it but realized my distance covered was just 35 miles and not the 60 I hoped.

Well I already broke 41.25 miles before so after 3 stops, I got off the train and began to cycle back home again. Good decision,mmmm.... yeah, but I had those hills again with half the energy I had earlier! But by now, my friends on Twitter were tweeting encouragement so I went for it. Stopped in Swords village for a pint and recharge my phone, otherwise my cycle meter app would lose all the information from the trip, then from Swords back to Baldoyle and a pint and some chips/fries in my local pub before hitting the house to shower. In the end, I hit 100.93 Kilometres! Very happy with that [he says as he types the next day with sore legs!]

http://www.renebruun.com/section589104.html

Comments

• t.m.h.n.e.t
    t.m.h.n.e.t Posts: 2,265
    Were you at a Mother Hubbards? Greasy spoon breakfast,2 pints and chips is probably contradictory to your goals. Very quick way to undo the 100k you just did.

But well done :)
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Got to agree with TMHNET Rene, fantastic work doing the ride but nutrition wise you're undoing all the work.
    My ride yesterday, none stop, I had no breakfast then after an hour I had 1 banana, then had another banana 45 mins later then had a couple of gels further into the ride. I had 750 ml water and 750ml CNP Prohydrate.
    When I got home I had some raisins and some CNP Pro Recover.
    2 hrs later I had my tea- pasta with tuna and tomato. Also kept drinking plenty water (and this morning).

It is nice to have a reward but just one little one then have a big when when you achieve your next weight goal (such as a breakfast or the chips).

It's not just calories per se that's important but the quality of those calories. You aren't getting anything like the full benefit of your training if you aren't making the right food choices.

I know this sounds like a bit of a lecture but I know how important this all is to you. Keep going. And see Barry!!
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • BruunLoss
    Well yesterday was more about the journey and mental attitude to see if I could do it... The breakfast was a bonus! After all if you can't have a fry every few weeks.... well... were is the fun in that ;o)

PS: Mother Hubbards is South West Dublin, past it once but not been. [Yet]
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    well done that is brilliant - wherever you find your head at, concentrating on completing a goal like a 100k is really healthy way to help you deal with it. Isnt it amazing that all those worries disppear when you find yourself battling into a head wind, haha.

And yes its great to give yourself a bonus and a reward but like the others have said if you start to eat for your next ride rather just for that day you will reap the benefits and that 100k will soon become a 100 miles. well done though, with all the pettiness around cycling its nice to hear stories of people just setting and having fun*

*this is teh cyclist definition of fun with sore butt, sore legs and that sneaking desire that 'yes, maybe i should go full carbon' hehe
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • cyco2
    cyco2 Posts: 593
    Not so much of a ride, more of a binge. :D
    ...................................................................................................

If you want to be a strong rider you have to do strong things.
    However if you train like a cart horse you'll race like one.
  • BruunLoss
    Long way to go for a nice breakfast ;)
  • cyco2
    cyco2 Posts: 593
    I have never had a full breakfast let alone during a ride. Maybe, I'll do it your way one day but in the meantime I'll stick to the Meusli. :D
    ...................................................................................................

If you want to be a strong rider you have to do strong things.
    However if you train like a cart horse you'll race like one.
  • nweststeyn
    nweststeyn Posts: 1,574
    Better to have a full breakfast with a 100km ride than a full breakfast and a morning on the sofa!