What £450 AM wheelset?

2»

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The ti freehub - they are the bestest! ;-)
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    just because i have a set and their pretty :)
    but 200g heavier than what your after.
    Blingy
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • VWsurfbum wrote:
    just because i have a set and their pretty :)
    but 200g heavier than what your after.
    Blingy

Get out!
  • mrmonkfinger
    mrmonkfinger Posts: 1,452
    Still can't choose between them or the XTRs though :lol: Something about those XTRs I just really like.

I have some top end Novatec hubs. They're really nice. Piece of p*ss to service and came with IKO bearings. So I'd go for the Superstars seeing as they're rebadged Novatecs.

Are Superstars selling the "anti-bite" freehub yet? Its a copy of the American Classics thing where they stick a steel key into the freehub to stop cassettes digging into the freehub body.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    (not easy to change to 10mm as the bearings need to be replaced and new axle). Adds about 5 grams.

Piece of wee wee to swap Trizoid 135x12mm hubs to 10mm axle. The replacement axle is £14 and you need a cone spanner to take off freehub, circlip pliers, a rubber mallet to knock the axle and brake side bearing out and a 22 mm socket to knock new bearing in. Took me 10 mins on my new wheels. Love the zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz noise from the freehub I found it wasnt noisy like a Hope but sounded fast better than lollipop sticks taped to the frame anytime. :lol::lol:
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Are Superstars selling the "anti-bite" freehub yet? Its a copy of the American Classics thing where they stick a steel key into the freehub to stop cassettes digging into the freehub body.

Ooh, I hadn't heard they're doing that- big step forward when it comes, good stuff (might even force Hope's hand)
    Uncompromising extremist
  • mrmonkfinger
    mrmonkfinger Posts: 1,452
    http://www.bdopcycling.com/Wheels-Parts ... ABGFREEHUB

These guys are stateside but I assume any Novatec agent would be able to get them.

It would be nice to see Hope doing one as standard - plain alloy just doesn't really cut it for Shimano pattern freehubs. £50 for a titanium body is a tiny bit painful after you've already laid down the best part of £200.
  • Pretty much decided on the superstar wheelset now. Planning to put the order in tomorrow.

Before I pull the trigger though. One more question.

Putting a Trizoid hub on the rear costs £60 more than Switch Evo in the same configuration.
    Anyone care to tell me why? Is it just that Trizoid has faster engagement?
    They seem to be almost the same weight, with Trizoid coming in about 20g heavier.
  • stubs
    I have the Trizoid hub and I have to admit it was a pure tarty decision to go for it :oops: It does engage fast only been able to do one ride which got cut short because the ground leapt up and bashed my ribs in. Its pretty much instaneous, feels good and it makes a lovely buzzing noise.

The bearings are big japanese ESO brand so hopefully will last. The bearing on the brake side is held in with a circlip and only needs a tap on the axle to remove. The freehub bearing is a bushing and will be dead easy to replace just remove freehub which is held in place by a nut on the axle and the bush will drop out. Took me less than 10 mins to remove axle caps remove freehub knock out 12mm axle and brake side bearing and knock in replacement 10mm axle and new bearing and reassemble.

Only problem I found was I went for red and the colour is a bit lighter than my Switch front hub but a good coat of carp and no one will notice.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • I'm actually going for red myself.

Reckon I'll splash out the extra and go for the trizoid. May as well. It's still £50 cheaper than the XTRs lol
  • Right.

Cheers for all the advice everyone. In the end i went for:

Superstar Custom Wheelset Generator - Pair of Wheels -
    - Rim: Stans Arch EX Disc Black
    - Nipples: Red Alloy SAPIM SILS
    - Hub Type Rear: Red Trizoid DH 135mm/12mm Thru (with convertor to 142mm/12mm)
    - Hub Type Front: Switch EVO Front Hub - Red
    - Spokes: CX Ray Black SAPIM Spokes

Will update with regards to weight etc once they arrive. Hoping for about 1,650g
  • stubs
    Very nice, I got the red nipples as well thought they might be too much but they look good.