Cavendish - How long can a sprinter stay on top?

13»

Comments

• Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,399
    Great link to the analysis of the finish.
    Still think Cav should have been able to win though!
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    I still think Cav is favourite for Paris. He seems to arrive largely unaffected by the mountains in the final week - even though he looks to be blowing a gasket when riding up them. I doubt he'll win by 2 bike lengths though.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    Has anyone mentioned Cav's sore buttock? Apparently he has a sore left buttock. Not sure if that's affecting performance, looks like the Big Man Marcel just got the better of him, but I thought you all should know about his hurty bum.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • wombly_knees
    wombly_knees Posts: 657
    Has already been mentioned once, he has ridden a full Giro, at least as full as this year's Giro was, while none of the others challenging in the sprint stages did. Surely that counts for something. That said, I don't think he'll win five or six sprint stages in future Tours. He'll win 9 next year now that I've said it.
  • Cavendish is no longer on top. Yesterdays race proved that and so did last years Tour.

Cavs had his day.
  • Has already been mentioned once, he has ridden a full Giro, at least as full as this year's Giro was, while none of the others challenging in the sprint stages did. Surely that counts for something. That said, I don't think he'll win five or six sprint stages in future Tours. He'll win 9 next year now that I've said it.

You say all that, but its just making excuses. For every excuse about the Giro I can throw in a reason why hes meant to be so fast that ive heard a dozen times ie:

He has an awareness that means he is quicker than other sprinters
    He knows what wheel to follow
    Once hes gone, hes gone
    He has a second kick that no one can match...

blah blah blah..all b*sh*t made up while he was on top. When youre on top you can make up any cr*p you like about why you are on top as people can't dispute it, but i have never seen this so called magic "2nd kick", where was it yesterday then? Kittel not only got on his wheel, he not only had his 2nd kick, he also went past and beat him for speed.

Time to take the rose-tinted specs off and on that subject, time for Cav to stop putting his specs on after the race and trying to make us all believe hes intelligent and well spoken all of a sudden. Pull the other one.
  • Paulie W
    Paulie W Posts: 1,492
    It's possible that Cav is not quite at the top of his game but he looks to me to still have the beating of Griepel in a straight sprint so I suspect it is just about Kittel being faster right now - it'll be interesting to see how Cav reacts to this immediately (as in today's stage - does he try to go from the front as yesterday or does he try something different?) and in the longer term.
  • wombly_knees
    Has already been mentioned once, he has ridden a full Giro, at least as full as this year's Giro was, while none of the others challenging in the sprint stages did. Surely that counts for something. That said, I don't think he'll win five or six sprint stages in future Tours. He'll win 9 next year now that I've said it.

You say all that, but its just making excuses. For every excuse about the Giro I can throw in a reason why hes meant to be so fast that ive heard a dozen times ie:

Once hes gone, hes gone

blah blah blah..all b*sh*t made up while he was on top. When youre on top you can make up any cr*p you like about why you are on top as people can't dispute it, but i have never seen this so called magic "2nd kick", where was it yesterday then? Kittel not only got on his wheel, he not only had his 2nd kick, he also went past and beat him for speed.

Time to take the rose-tinted specs off and on that subject, time for Cav to stop putting his specs on after the race and trying to make us all believe hes intelligent and well spoken all of a sudden. Pull the other one.
    I'm not making excuses, neither do I want to see Cav bossing every sprint as that's boring as batshit, heck I'm not even a fan. But I do know that fatigue is a factor that has an effect on all that you've posted above. Maybe the tinted spectacles work both ways...
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    61.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    23.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Coriander
    Coriander Posts: 1,326
    I very much like that OPQS has resurrected the casquette.
  • Squaggles
    Squaggles Posts: 875
    Cavendish is no longer on top. Yesterdays race proved that and so did last years Tour.

Cavs had his day.

:lol:
    The UCI are Clowns and Fools
  • jamie1012
    jamie1012 Posts: 171
    Coriander wrote:
    I very much like that OPQS has resurrected the casquette.
    This.
  • resaRider
    resaRider Posts: 109
    Squaggles wrote:
    Cavendish is no longer on top. Yesterdays race proved that and so did last years Tour.

Cavs had his day.

:lol:

hahahahahahahahahaha :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
    silly boy
  • Le Commentateur
    Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099
    Kind of answered the question this afternoon eh?
  • Crankbrother
    Crankbrother Posts: 1,695
    23.jpg

I'm 50/50 on Cav but if any one of us looked that cool we'd die bike-happy ...
  • Daz555
    It would appear he can stay on top for at least one more day.
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    edited July 2013

Once hes gone, hes gone

I'm not making excuses, neither do I want to see Cav bossing every sprint as that's boring as batshit, heck I'm not even a fan. But I do know that fatigue is a factor that has an effect on all that you've posted above. Maybe the tinted spectacles work both ways...

Pretty sure he's taking the p'iss here, mate :D

At least - I hope so. I'm a bit uneasy lately in here calling out jokes and stuff. Tempers run high at the moment!
  • Walter White
    Walter White Posts: 238

Cavs had his day.

So naive, he always proves people wrong who blurt that out.
  • wombly_knees
    ThomThom wrote:

Once hes gone, hes gone

Pretty sure he's taking the p'iss here, mate :D

At least - I hope so. I'm a bit uneasy lately in here calling out jokes and stuff. Tempers run high at the moment!
    Kin ell, and there I thought it was Cav who was taking the p!ss.... Not really worried either way, mind.
  • Did anyone else think he looked rather unexceptional in the intermediate yesterday? :P
    1968, human content on bitumen.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    61.jpg

More importantly what is that man doing to that post? :shock:
    Correlation is not causation.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    Did anyone else think he looked rather unexceptional in the intermediate yesterday? :P

I think the intermediate sprint neuters his real skills of positioning and decision making and just becomes a test of speed and power. Greipel is going to prevail nine times out of ten under those conditions.

Cavendish with 43 has more GT stage wins than any other currently active rider and is tied for fourth on the overall list. For comparison the nearest active rider is Thor with 14 wins.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • I wonder if Rio Olympics may be a motivation for him. Maybe back on the track?
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,562
    Did anyone else think he looked rather unexceptional in the intermediate yesterday? :P

I think the intermediate sprint neuters his real skills of positioning and decision making and just becomes a test of speed and power. Greipel is going to prevail nine times out of ten under those conditions.

I don't think Cavendish tries very hard in the intermediate sprints which is very sensible - mostly it will only result in a one point swing. All the more reason to do away with them completely.
  • Daz555
    I wonder if Rio Olympics may be a motivation for him. Maybe back on the track?
    He'd probably have to quit road for 2015 and 2016 season though. Would he be prepared to do that? He'd not get picked otherwise - GB track squad is immense.

Try and get in the team pursuit squad? Omnium? This Madison is coming back for Rio so we could see Wiggo and Cav have a last hurrah.