Leg Stubble...

KentPuncheur
KentPuncheur Posts: 246
edited April 2012 in The bottom bracket
Hi All,
Rather embarassing admission here... :oops:
Having been into cycling for just under a year now, and having joined a club and started doing sportives and will start to race this year, I decided to begin to look the part and get rid of the masses of leg hair I (now use to) have.
Bottling using a razor I used Veet for me, and after 15 minutes of applying the lotion, waiting, scraping it off and then showering, I was hair free from top of thigh to foot. My legs felt, and looked great, and I found the skin tight lycra during a sportive the next day more comfortable.
However...
It is now 5/6 days on from the leg hair incident, and my legs are extremely irritable. The leg stubble is driving me mad...I'm constantly fighting off the urge to scratch my legs. Lycra feels more uncomforable than ever. I was planning to use Veet/shave before a race or sportive, but I don't think I can go through this irritation that often. Have I unwittingly made a mistake whereby I now have to shave every 2/3 days to stop this stubble irritation or does everyone else go through this by shaving intermitently during the year?
What a fool I am!! :roll:
2011 Trek Madone 3.1c
2012 Ribble 7005 Winter Trainer

Dolor transit, gloria aeterna est.

Comments

• Redhog14
    Redhog14 Posts: 1,377
    Oh dear Oh Dear..its a slippery road...
  • Oh dear Oh Dear..its a slippery road...

And an itchy one!
    2011 Trek Madone 3.1c

• Monkeypump
    Monkeypump Posts: 1,528
    Redhog14 wrote:
    Oh dear Oh Dear..its a slippery road...

Especially with too much post-shave lotion...
  • I gave up doing me legs for precisely this reason, would itch and irritate all bloomin' day.
    "That's it! You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college! " - Homer
  • secretsqizz
    secretsqizz Posts: 424
    Give 'em a number 1 and bleach treatment 1 step further.
    My pen won't write on the screen
  • nweststeyn
    nweststeyn Posts: 1,574
    MTFU?
  • random man
    random man Posts: 1,518
    I was planning on shaving my legs this year, but now I've got a good reason not to :)
  • jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    OP, can you please email the instructions to my wife. Thanks
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • Yossie
    Yossie Posts: 2,600
    Right (adopt metrosexual voice)

Its because your legs aren't used to it and are also drying out - Veet, then for the next couple of days exfoliate using your burd's loofah or a rough sponge to rpevent ingrowing hairs and skin irritation. Then slap loads of her body lotion on (Palmer's Cocoa Butter is good for this as its cheap, smells like holidays in the sun and is thick so will also help prevent the wind burn that is helping cause this).

Le voila - smooth soft silky legs with no irritation evermore.

Right, I'm off to blow something up in manly fashion .Booooom.
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,807
    ^this

It also helps if you sing 'Sweet Transvestite' while shaving the guns.
  • Redhog14
    Redhog14 Posts: 1,377
    I am afraid i just could never bring myself to shave my legs...the fact is that they resemble a ginger rainforest canopy and I stopped shaving my face as i felt that was unnatural..
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    Mrs T just shouted out from the other room "WTFU" :D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • trekker12
    trekker12 Posts: 99
    team47b wrote:

Do you always have conversations in 'text speak'?
    2007 Trek 1.2
    2014 Genesis Equilibrium 20
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Hi All,
    Rather embarassing admission here... :oops:
    Having been into cycling for just under a year now, and having joined a club and started doing sportives and will start to race this year, I decided to begin to look the part and get rid of the masses of leg hair I (now use to) have.
    Bottling using a razor I used Veet for me, and after 15 minutes of applying the lotion, waiting, scraping it off and then showering, I was hair free from top of thigh to foot. My legs felt, and looked great, and I found the skin tight lycra during a sportive the next day more comfortable.
    However...
    It is now 5/6 days on from the leg hair incident, and my legs are extremely irritable. The leg stubble is driving me mad...I'm constantly fighting off the urge to scratch my legs. Lycra feels more uncomforable than ever. I was planning to use Veet/shave before a race or sportive, but I don't think I can go through this irritation that often. Have I unwittingly made a mistake whereby I now have to shave every 2/3 days to stop this stubble irritation or does everyone else go through this by shaving intermitently during the year?
    What a fool I am!! :roll:

I live in Rainham and have been shaving my legs for years.

That sounds wrong but its the truth. Nice hot bath and soap them up, shave off with lady type specific razor and moisturise (especially use the moisturiser with some self tan in it :wink: ) and repeat evrey 3 or 4 days through summer. Job done. :)
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    trekker12 wrote:
    team47b wrote:

Do you always have conversations in 'text speak'?

WTF, Been together for 26 years, so yes, text speak is all we can manage : :roll:

Can't put what she actually said!

Actually I can!

Mulher a foder!
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • rodgers73
    rodgers73 Posts: 2,626
    Get them waxed instead of shaving - much better.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Good God.

My Ghey Radar just blew up.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • nweststeyn wrote:
    MTFU?

You have a point...
    2011 Trek Madone 3.1c

• Yossie wrote:
    Right (adopt metrosexual voice)

Its because your legs aren't used to it and are also drying out - Veet, then for the next couple of days exfoliate using your burd's loofah or a rough sponge to rpevent ingrowing hairs and skin irritation. Then slap loads of her body lotion on (Palmer's Cocoa Butter is good for this as its cheap, smells like holidays in the sun and is thick so will also help prevent the wind burn that is helping cause this).

Le voila - smooth soft silky legs with no irritation evermore.

Right, I'm off to blow something up in manly fashion .Booooom.

Advice heeded, and irritation suppressed, thanks! Minus the Cocoa Butter though, that was a bit much, went for normal moisturiser in the end. To compensate I've been DIY-ing (is that a viable verb?) to up the testosterone this weekend!
    2011 Trek Madone 3.1c

• I live in Rainham and have been shaving my legs for years.

Are you a member of any of the local clubs? Wigmore or Medway Velo by any chance?
    2011 Trek Madone 3.1c

• rc856
    rc856 Posts: 1,144
    Was thinking about waxing but the missus says you have to get that done quite regularly to start with?
    Cost of having that done compared to shaving!?..Mmmmm

With shaving, my issue a few days later is red spots on the inside of my thighs. Seems to be the most sensitive place.
  • seataltea
    seataltea Posts: 594
    Atrixo works fine at reducing itching.
    'nulla tenaci invia est via'
    FCN4
    Boardman HT Pro fully X0'd
    CUBE Peleton 2012
    Genesis Aether 20 all season commuter
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667

I live in Rainham and have been shaving my legs for years.

Are you a member of any of the local clubs? Wigmore or Medway Velo by any chance?

Medway Velo, although do know a few lads from Wigmore CC as well.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Nair from Poundland, cheap as chips. Apply and use one of those green scourer sponges to remove when the time is up. No itchy legs but I did miss a bit.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    nweststeyn wrote:
    MTFU?

?

• I live in Rainham and have been shaving my legs for years.

Medway Velo, although do know a few lads from Wigmore CC as well.

I've recently joined Wigmore and have started ride outs with Velo aswell on Saturdays (sportives permitting) to get the miles in. Have you been out much this year?
    2011 Trek Madone 3.1c

• Yossie
    Yossie Posts: 2,600
    RC856 wrote:
    Was thinking about waxing but the missus says you have to get that done quite regularly to start with?
    Cost of having that done compared to shaving!?..Mmmmm

With shaving, my issue a few days later is red spots on the inside of my thighs. Seems to be the most sensitive place.

Nah - I wax (well, get someone to wax me) - once every six weeks: first few times it stings a bit but after that its no worries.

Cheaper than shaving, less time between treatments, and, as per posts passim, if you get one of those mobile beautician burds to do it, bung her an extra fiver or a bag of chips for afterwards and she may bash you off as well/get her norks out while doing it.

Top of thighs will come up because the skin is softest there and never really exposed - exfoliate and moisturise. Also check the direction in which you are shaving.
  • jim55
    jim55 Posts: 93
    Iv got to say and this is a serious question , why do some riders shave their legs or remove hair/ immac whatever
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    t.m.h.n.e.t Posts: 2,265
    jim55 wrote:
    Iv got to say and this is a serious question , why do some riders shave their legs or remove hair/ immac whatever
    Feels good
    Easier to have massages
    Easier to deal with road rash
    Easier if you're pulling wetsuits on/off all the time
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    jim55 wrote:

Makes your muscles look bigger!