Rasberry Pi - anyone getting one?

2»

Comments

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,766
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Over a year on from the OP, does anyone have one?
    What do you use it for and would you recommend it to others?
    Saw this thread on Cakestop earlier.
    Extreme geek content, NSFM*.

* NSFM = not safe for Mrs. If she catches you watching that she'll think even less of you.
  • Mr Sworld
    Mr Sworld Posts: 703
    I've been very tempted for a while to get one. However work would like a 'cheap computer to stream stuff over the fibre'

Guess what they are getting?

^_^
  • Horns
    Horns Posts: 10
    I've been using one for a while now to stream videos to a second TV, using XBMC. Does the job nicely.
  • Got one for the boy at Christmas. He's been doing some Python on it. Next step is thinking about getting some sort of controller board and playing with wires and the like. Possibly building a robot army and taking over the world.
  • Mr Sworld
    Mr Sworld Posts: 703
    >>>>>>>>>>> Skynet thread....
  • M-A-S
    M-A-S Posts: 87
    Got my Raspberry Pi last week, which I wanted to use as an HTPC for http://www.plexapp.com/. I've got Plex installed on my iMac, and it streams everything brilliantly to my iPhone and iPad, and to the PS3 via dlna, which is ok, but a bit flaky and not as pretty, also I wanted everything to work with one ir remote.

I wanted a mac mini, but that's a bit pricey an optio,n so was looking at cheap PC's then I heard about http://rasplex.com/ which looked exciting and worth a punt. All in it was £52 for the pi, hdmi to vga cable, ir remote, and power lead, I already had an SD card and thought I'd hold off on a case for now.

Rasplex was very easy to install, but its still beta software, and as such the menus can at times be a tiny bit slow, but nothing too bad. I'm still waiting for the remote to arrive but in the mean time I'm using the Plex ios app.

Extra bonus, Plex sets itself up as an airplay receiver, meaning itunes and ios devices can directly stream content to it, worked surprisingly well!
  • MisterMuncher
    MisterMuncher Posts: 1,302
    Visiting my (automation engineer) brother at the weekend. He's set up a Pi as a controller for an array of (60) temperature sensors and heating valves in his new house. His heating can now be set by temperature, by time and by room. From the living room telly.

As it was generating a real time clock anyway, it's also generating pulses that are stepped up appropriately to run a hundred-year old Synchronome impulse clock above the kitchen range. For a while, this was fed back via a camera to the Pi and compared to the NIST time so it was always accurate, but apparently this was just too geeky.
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    I understand how the Pi could make a good media client, but how are people controlling them? Say I wanted to set one up as a DLNA client driving a TV - would I need to control it from a phone?
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • Drfabulous0
    Drfabulous0 Posts: 1,539
    I use one of these, I have had it running XBMC and when I can be bothered will have a go at minecraft. A robotics project is also quite likely.
  • M-A-S
    M-A-S Posts: 87
    TGOTB wrote:
    I understand how the Pi could make a good media client, but how are people controlling them? Say I wanted to set one up as a DLNA client driving a TV - would I need to control it from a phone?

I'm planning on using this http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004B9FPIS/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 which is basically a remote pretending to be a keyboard, (I'll program my Harmony remote to use it though) others have used Windows media center remotes with usb IR sensors successfully. A built in IR sensor is a very cheap option too, although it seemed a complex one!