Rasberry Pi - anyone getting one?

mudcow007
mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
edited April 2013 in Commuting chat
for all you fellow nerds out there...

The Rasberry Pi

i just want see what i can get running on it, without not having much ram etc i will probably end up using cli but no biggy

fingers crossed i can run Ubuntu on it, failing that i will try Linux "puppy"
Keeping it classy since '83

Comments

• dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Yeah, will probably get one. It'll probably sit in a drawer but I'd like to think I'll do something more useful
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    dhope wrote:
    Yeah, will probably get one. It'll probably sit in a drawer but I'd like to think I'll do something more useful
    Same here. I used to enjoy programming my Commodore 64 but never got past using BASIC. Could be good to learn a new skill/hobby on.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    Yup. Got one on pre-order thingy from Farnell.

Will have to fit it round my busy social calendar.....

*church bells*
    *tumbleweed*
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    im tempted to use one to connect to my NAS in the lounge as the TV in there is not connected in anyway to the network whereas the TV in my room is connected via my PS3
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,766
    I don't understand a lot of the above posts. For that reason I think I should get hold of one for the kids. Boy is 13 and quite bright so should manage to learn something if I can get him enthused about it. The hard part is getting him to be enthusiastic about anything.
    My daughter is 10 and has no interest in that sort of thing, but it would be nice if she could do something.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    I've ordered one in the hope my kids will be interested and because I want to support this great initiative
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Yep, ordered one the other day. I think it's near the end of April before they expect to be shipping them though.

Should be able to do some cool stuff within ...
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    Think about getting one to connect to TV in lounge to do stuff PS3 cannot, like provide a decent web browser. However, what I really want is to be able to access premiershiprugby.tv which requires flash. I don't think the raspberry pi does that yet. Ice cream sandwich might be the solution though does that go with raspberry pi?
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • ex-pat scot
    ex-pat scot Posts: 939
    Fancy one to get 10 yo boy enthused and diverted from mindless flash games he defaults to...
    Commute: Langster -Singlecross - Brompton S2-LX

Road: 95 Trek 5500 -Look 695 Aerolight eTap - Boardman TTe eTap

Offroad: Pace RC200 - Dawes Kickback 2 tandem - Tricross - Boardman CXR9.8 - Ridley x-fire
  • davis
    Sketchley wrote:
    Think about getting one to connect to TV in lounge to do stuff PS3 cannot, like provide a decent web browser. However, what I really want is to be able to access premiershiprugby.tv which requires flash. I don't think the raspberry pi does that yet. Ice cream sandwich might be the solution though does that go with raspberry pi?

I would think you'd have more luck with the default Linux install for Flash. ICS won't run on the Pi.

The Pi has got more than enough horsepower for playing the video, so it might well work; this looks it does play Flash video, but does that website have an HTML 5 video version?
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    im going to get one, but will wait until you can get a case for them and they run XBMC i think
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    maybe very cool, not really sure what i'd use it for?

I do have a few computers.... I found a old and rather ill mac mini behind the TV the other week I'd forgotten about...

So I do have a number of them dotted around the house, doing various things (mail servers and what not)
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Sketchley wrote:
    Ice cream sandwich might be the solution though does that go with raspberry pi?
    Mmmmmmm. Pie. Drool................ :wink:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • sketchley
    davis wrote:
    Sketchley wrote:

I would think you'd have more luck with the default Linux install for Flash. ICS won't run on the Pi.

The Pi has got more than enough horsepower for playing the video, so it might well work; this looks it does play Flash video, but does that website have an HTML 5 video version?

No they have there own hacked flash player that includes some custom security. Need specific version of flash or higher but not compatible with PS3. No luck finding an iPad2 solution either. Been on at them to port it to HTML5 but they've stopped responding to my e-mail now. Last time I looked there was no flash player support for the Raspberry Pi but that was about 3 months ago.
    --
    Chris

• OMG Unbuntu was going on about it as a potential ubuntu machine... I'm getting annoyed with ubuntu, must admit. 11.04 is ok to use but 11.10 is bloaty and kills my netbook, plus you can't customise away the horrible orangeyness and big fonts... This weekend is going to involve the windows 8 beta and a USB stick..!
  • Mr Sworld
    Mr Sworld Posts: 703
    I'm getting annoyed with ubuntu, must admit. 11.04 is ok to use but 11.10 is bloaty and kills my netbook, plus you can't customise away the horrible orangeyness and big fonts... This weekend is going to involve the windows 8 beta and a USB stick..!

Try the LXDE desktop?

http://www.howtogeek.com/107368/how-to-install-the-lightweight-lxde-desktop-on-ubuntu/
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    Yep, I ordered one last week. Should be with me some time in April (unless this problem with the network jacks pushes supply back).
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • corshamjim
    corshamjim Posts: 234
    I'm on the RS waiting list to order one. I'm going to have another go at making a web server to connect to my cheap wireless weather station, and will see if it's up to running motion so I can rig up a simple security camera type thing. Maybe set it up to do a time-lapse film of the garden and all sorts of simple stuff like that which are only really possible with a low power cheap computer that can be left on all the time without worrying too much about the bills or the planet.
  • email from Farnell today - mine arrives by end of June :):)

so many ideas.... so little time...
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    W/c 21 May for mine 8)
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • davis
    w/c 7th May :)
  • Mr Sworld
    BBC news said it came with XBMC on the SD card. Is this true?
  • Mr Sworld
    Sorry, just realised they probably had a review model. I guess you won't get any 'extras' like an SD card...

Doh... :-(
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    w/c 21 May for me. One of my colleagues is w/c 7th May. Someone in BBC Learning has one already. The git.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • Mr Sworld wrote:
    Sorry, just realised they probably had a review model. I guess you won't get any 'extras' like an SD card...

Doh... :-(
    You can buy a 2Gb SD card preloaded... but downloading Debian or whatever your prefered flavour is, and prepping a card isn't so hard; Since I have a few SD cards lying around I couldn't see the need to buy.

They are doing bundles with mouse/keyboard/Power Supply/SD card/USB Wifi Dongle and HDMI Cable but I reckon I have all of those in the spares box...
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:
  • sketchley
    Does it play flash?
    --
    Chris

• EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Over a year on from the OP, does anyone have one?
    What do you use it for and would you recommend it to others?

I still don't have one, I still want one, and I still have no idea what I would do with it if I did buy one.

I've seen some interesting things like a time shifted Radio 4 player which will play Radio 4 at the correct time for your timezone (e.g. the 6 o'clock GMT news will be on at 6 o'clock local time) and remote controlled cars controlled with an Xbox controller. Wifi radios seem quite common too.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!