work mates taking the mick

SUPERSUTT
SUPERSUTT Posts: 292
edited March 2012 in MTB general
is it just me or does every one who cycles to work have the micky takern out of them for the riding gear we wear . theres a guy i work with whos going on 18 or 19stone in weight and must be 40+ waist jeans allways saying how much of a geek i look in my riding gear. but all i ever say to him is i might look silly to you in my riding gear now but i look fantastic in a suit or trouses and a shirt and even better in shorts on a beach. he has no come back to that. so whatdo you say to the idiot who trys to belittle you at work and is it allways the fat blokes who comment on what we wear
falling off doesn't hurt....its the landing that hurts

FS Giant Trance X3 (2013)
FS Specialized Camber 2011 (2011)=(stolen)
HT Merlin Malt one (sold)

Comments

• bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    SUPERSUTT wrote:
    is it just me or does every one who cycles to work have the micky takern out of them for the riding gear we wear . theres a guy i work with whos going on 18 or 19stone in weight and must be 40+ waist jeans allways saying how much of a geek i look in my riding gear. but all i ever say to him is i might look silly to you in my riding gear now but i look fantastic in a suit or trouses and a shirt and even better in shorts on a beach. he has no come back to that. so whatdo you say to the idiot who trys to belittle you at work and is it allways the fat blokes who comment on what we wear
    Well normally i only have 3 and a bit miles to commute in so i wear jeans and whatever t shirt/ jacket im wearing that day (uni not work so no dress code ofc) but if i had to ride a long way to work i'd wear whatever i wanted, at the end of the day "fatty" is going to die at the age of 45 whilst us healthy people will live and be fit way past then, so the jokes on them. no words are even needed towards them really, they know full well of their poor living situation!
  • Torres
    Torres Posts: 1,266
    I tend to agree with whoever's taking the mick; no one can make riding gear look cool...
    What We Achieve In Life, Echoes In Eternity
  • DCR00
    DCR00 Posts: 2,160
    there are some instances where i care what people think

this is not one of them
  • RevellRider
    RevellRider Posts: 1,794
    Surprisingly, we all wear it at work so no one takes the mickey
  • Stu Coops
    Stu Coops Posts: 426
    The reality of it is the fat arse is probably jealous that unlike you he hasn't sen his knob for 10yrs but it too lazy to do anything about it so easier to try to make you feel uncomfortable, grow a pair and get in his face and ask him is this just envy fatboy :lol: :shock:
    Zesty 514 Scott Scale 20 GT Expert HalfwayupMTB
  • panzer8
    panzer8 Posts: 36
    "Fuck off you parade float" would work.
  • concorde
    concorde Posts: 1,008
    Lycra on show is extremely ghay though.
  • Concorde wrote:
    Lycra on show is extremely ghay though.
    You seem to be obsessed with gayness, despite spelling it the welsh way, I'm thinking dale winton and H from steps are you role models and you have Will Young, George Michael and Elton John on your iPod and you are so far in the closet, you're in Narnia.... ;0)
  • delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    ^^^^ as long as he does'nt start hanging around in toilets,, all will be fine.. :wink::lol:

oh and work mates what are those or should that be work what is that..
  • smack148
    smack148 Posts: 37
    to misquote Churchill, you can get changed, he'll still be fat.
  • daverice
    daverice Posts: 9
    Feckemall. If you feel cool, you are cool. Go where you want to go, do what you want to do. If you want to do forward rolls to work wearing a burka and a kilt, then do it! Be confident, ya fanny!
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    edited March 2012
    You seem to be obsessed with gayness, despite spelling it the welsh way, I'm thinking dale winton and H from steps are you role models and you have Will Young, George Michael and Elton John on your iPod and you are so far in the closet, you're in Narnia.... ;0)

:lol:
  • StorckSpeed
    StorckSpeed Posts: 291
    The bike sheds at our office is very good and secure, it's located at the back of the office block. You have to come in through the back door of the office and then straight into the shower. (Almost as if we should be ashamed). Well you wouldn't want a sweaty, mucky biker cluttering the vestibule. So you don't really see anyone except other bike riders.
    Strangely of course all the smokers are presented pride of place at the front of the office to welcome all visitors/customers to the office.
    There's warp speed - then there's Storck Speed
  • No-one takes the mick here - but i do wear baggies, so it's not as bad.
    The only comments that get made are; "Have you just ridden through a farmers field?" and "You're treading mud through the office - take your shoes off!"
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    Any of the previous suggestions, or. . .
    "I wear it because I'm proud to still have a waist"

Or . . .
    "I wear sporting attire. You are sporting a tyre."

Or . . .
    "Bet you wish they made it in your size"
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    bloke at work has the p1ss ripped out of him relentlessly for commuting by bike it's all the hi-vis stuff that gives people ammunition. but he takes it all in his stride. you need broad shoulders these days people are too quick to criticise others to compensate for their own insecurities

psychology lesson over :)
  • EH_Rob
    EH_Rob Posts: 1,134
    peewee.jpg

Just wear that instead of lycra and hi vis, then the joke will very much be on him. x
  • El Zomba
    El Zomba Posts: 164
    you have Will Young, George Michael and Elton John on your iPod

Nothing wrong with that. 'All-time Love' is a beautiful song, ya pleb.

One of my work colleagues is a hardcore Roadie, and likes to drop the line 'you should get a proper bike' at least once a week. The standard reply is somethng along the lines of 'shouldn't you be shaving your legs or something?' and putting an MBUK sticker somewhere on his bike frame when he's due for a race.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    El Zomba wrote:
    putting an MBUK sticker somewhere on his bike frame when he's due for a race.
    That actually is quite funny! :lol:

It is stramge how people assume that if you wear lyrca then other people (only gay men, not the secretary) will be checking you out. It's almost as if the people saying it would find it hard not to stare, and they're projecting that onto everybody else..... :wink:

I agree with what most of the other people have said. F*ck 'em. I occasionaly wear uncovered lycra. I know I look a bit silly, but I don't care. The fatty will look even sillier when he's struggling for breath after walking up a flight of stairs. Plus, the ladies love a fit man :wink: I swear to god, when I told my brother's girlfriend how far I ride most days she looked me straight in the eye and said "wow, your stamina must be amaaaazing" :shock:
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Surely 'mates' is a very loose term here? They sound more like work tossers!

I used to walk to my desk (only 30 people or so in the office) in all my kit (lycra, no hi-vis, ever). I tend to lightly poke fun at myself, I'm happy knowing that I'm fitter than everyone else there, and to be honest it never went any further than someone saying I looked like Spiderman, or a wasp, kit depending!

Now have a basement bike store, with showers down there too, so never interact with anyone whilst in my kit other than other cyclists, so no one's ever said anything.

To be honest I really couldn't give a rat's arse even if they did point and laugh :-)
  • t0pc4t
    t0pc4t Posts: 947
    nope can't say that I get any stick from people who I work with. I tend not to wear Lycra anymore though
    Whether you're a king or a little street sweeper, sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper.

Cube Curve 2009
    Giant Anthem X4

FCN=6
  • I work in an office of around 1000 people. I proudly walk in, sit at my desk, make sure my team is doing nothing they shouldn't etc, then I check my emails etc......

All the while sitting there sweating and smelly as I have just completed a 10 mile commute. Do I care, nope. Once I am ready I go have my shower.

I once had a director I was chatting with about me cycling etc say......"to be fair, no-one can complain about your cycle attire when half the muppets in this place don't know what business attire is and look like they were dressed by a blind Gok Wan" - made me chuckle.
    Modded 2010 Spesh Pitch Comp
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12839087
    Rockrider 8.1 - Now transformed to bmy commuting singlespeed!
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    Who cares what he thinks, just punch him in the belly.
  • miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    I get an entirely different response should any of my (male) work colleagues see me lycra'd up in bike wear - although I assure you it's equally unwanted :shock: :roll: :lol:
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc
  • SUPERSUTT wrote:

I would print off either of the two pics below and show it to him next time he mentions how geeky you look, informing him, 'this is how you would look'.

419776838_0156160682.jpg

spandex.jpg
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    No one gives me any grief, but thats likely because I may just fire them if they did.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • dhobiwallah
    dhobiwallah Posts: 272
    That last picture is hideous - white socks and sandals :shock:
  • ToeKnee
    ToeKnee Posts: 376
    That last picture is hideous - ...
    More hideous surely?
    ... - white socks and sandals :shock:
    That's I.T. professionals for you.;-)
    Seneca wrote:
    It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare; it is because we do not dare that they are difficult.
    Specialized TriCross Sport+Ultegra+Rack&Bag+Guards+Exposure Lights - FCN 7
    Track:Condor 653, MTB:GT Zaskar, Road & TT:Condors.
  • bellys
    bellys Posts: 456
    Yep I get it all the time only off the thick and fat lads. I don't care what they think. One bloke all ways used to take the piss until I told him his wife likes me to slip her some Lycra c@@k. some reason he stopped then I found out she left him for his mate 2 weeks before I did smile.
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    bellys wrote:
    I told him his wife likes me to slip her some Lycra c@@k. some reason he stopped then I found out she left him for his mate 2 weeks before I did smile.
    hahahahahaha love it