Commuting distance mileage landmarks

msmancunia
msmancunia Posts: 1,415
edited March 2012 in Commuting chat
Has anyone ever done anything to celebrate passing commuting landmarks, like mileage? I completed my first 1,000 commuting miles this morning since moving back to Manchester late-ish last year.

I celebrated with a full English in the staff restaurant this morning (v good) and and am ending the day with a deep tissue massage (not so nice...).
Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity

Comments

• mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    ahh well done, what is your daily commute - mileage wise?

i like the way mileage adds up without really noticing it

i did 3,000 last year but i want to beat that this year
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    I kinda thought about it when I passed 20,000 commuting miles (since 2009) last month. Couldn't think of anything interesting enough, though.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    I've got the around the world landmark coming up for my bike, might treat it to some new parts... then again I don't generally need an excuse for that!
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,770
    I've not really taken much heed of mileage until this year. I'd like to get to 3,000 miles for the year. Don't know what I'd do to celebrate. Tell the wife I suppose, she' ll just give me a slightly quizzical look in return. I'd say she thinks I'm insane. But in truth, she knows it as fact.
  • aeon
    aeon Posts: 167
    edited March 2012
    you must be very disciplined msmancunia. 'oh, it was a bit windy this morning' is usually enough for me to justify a (second) breakfast.

as for mileage... i think i'm going to set up a rhyming slang reward system based on real world distances. so when i do the equivalent of london > john o'groats i will treat myself to a nice bag of oats. i am eagerly awaiting hitting the london > D'arbonfibre-Raisefraime landmark :)
    FCN 10 - Crosstrail
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    For each commuting mile completed, I do a double-fisted victory salute while riding in primary position.
  • mcj78
    mcj78 Posts: 634
    I wish i'd kept a proper track of my commuting miles, just for the self-satisfaction - I had a few thousand on it from last year then I accidentally reset the entire computer trying to change tyre circumference :? I now know however i've done ~500 miles on my current tyres without a flat! Wooooo! *touches wood*
    Moda Issimo
    Genesis Volare 853
    Charge Filter Apex
  • Gussio
    mcj78 wrote:
    I wish i'd kept a proper track of my commuting miles, just for the self-satisfaction - I had a few thousand on it from last year then I accidentally reset the entire computer trying to change tyre circumference :? I now know however i've done ~500 miles on my current tyres without a flat! Wooooo! *touches wood*

Look into the Silly Commuter Stats thread......
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    My celebration involves standing up with both arms aloft and fists clenched in the style of the Black Power salute, whenever I hit a big number like target for the month, or 1000 mile multiples, or when passing a learner driver.

mcj78 - see link, below. Go there, and join the throng. You too can fight for 54th place.
  • mcj78
    CiB wrote:
    My celebration involves standing up with both arms aloft and fists clenched in the style of the Black Power salute, whenever I hit a big number like target for the month, or 1000 mile multiples, or when passing a learner driver.

mcj78 - see link, below. Go there, and join the throng. You too can fight for 54th place.

Jesus - 1000 miles in January, effort :shock:

Might look into joining that, anything to keep the momentum going!
    Moda Issimo
    Genesis Volare 853
    Charge Filter Apex
  • msmancunia
    msmancunia Posts: 1,415
    aeon wrote:
    you must be very disciplined msmancunia. 'oh, it was a bit windy this morning' is usually enough for me to justify a (second) breakfast.

as for mileage... i think i'm going to set up a rhyming slang reward system based on real world distances. so when i do the equivalent of london > john o'groats i will treat myself to a nice bag of oats. i am eagerly awaiting hitting the london > D'arbonfibre-Raisefraime landmark :)

Not that disciplined - commute is 25 miles round trip so there have been a few days when I've had that "oh it was a bit windy this morning" moments! Plus, I'm now feeling shamed by some of the round the world stats on here now :oops:
    Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity
  • veronese68
    Sorry, should have said congrats on reaching 1,000. That's good going considering it's been through the dullest part of the year. Weather gets better and mileage goes up now.
  • aeon
    aeon Posts: 167
    yes, congrats! i've got a 32 mile round trip, so i'm hovering around 550 a month. i think that's enough to justify all kinds of gluttony, then i see the unremitting healthiness of some high-mileage people's diets!

all this exercise is still so new that i feel i've earned an extra beer with extra scratchings. it's the l'oreal effect.
    FCN 10 - Crosstrail
  • porlyworly
    porlyworly Posts: 441
    My commute is a pathetic 5 miles each way and only started cycling in November, according to strava I'm on 286 so far this year, if I can get anywhere near 2k miles in 2012 I'll be happy
    First love - Genesis Equilibrium 20
    Dirty - Forme Calver CX Sport
    Quickie - Scott CR1 SL HMX
    Notable ex's - Kinesis Crosslight, Specialized Tricross
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    PorlyWorly wrote:
    My commute is a pathetic 5 miles each way and only started cycling in November, according to strava I'm on 286 so far this year, if I can get anywhere near 2k miles in 2012 I'll be happy

you will soon get bored of only going 5 miles each way though

mine is only about 5 miles too but i generally go a different way home an end up doing 25 miles per day
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • willy b
    willy b Posts: 4,125
    mudcow007 wrote:
    PorlyWorly wrote:

you will soon get bored of only going 5 miles each way though

mine is only about 5 miles too but i generally go a different way home an end up doing 25 miles per day

Too true. My original commute was 6.5 miles each way. Whilst it was good for me getting used to commuting in traffic & London i soon didn't feel like it was even worth it. So upped it to 35 miles a day :lol:

My only Goal at the moment is 1,000 miles in a month. When i hit that i'll be a happy man :D Wont happen in March though :roll:
  • jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    Last year my 9,001 mile for 2011 arrived outside the Morpeth. This was coincidently (well after a couple of laps of the block) Boffins 2010 mileage + 1,000 so it was rather appropriate to stop at the Morpeth for a pint of winter warmer.
  • Gussio
    CiB wrote:

54th place is not up for grabs.
  • mcj78
    Gussio wrote:
    CiB wrote:

Right that's me signed up - do folks generally add miles weekly/monthly/whatever?

Sorry for the threadjack mcmancunia, if I was doing 25miles every day my full cooked breakfast consumption would be roughly on a 1:1 ratio with number of days cycled! :wink:
    Moda Issimo
    Genesis Volare 853
    Charge Filter Apex
  • CiB
    mcj78 wrote:
    Gussio wrote:
    CiB wrote:

Right that's me signed up - do folks generally add miles weekly/monthly/whatever?

Sorry for the threadjack mcmancunia, if I was doing 25miles every day my full cooked breakfast consumption would be roughly on a 1:1 ratio with number of days cycled! :wink:
    Whatever lights your candle but more often than not is better so that the table is up to date. Man Utd don't hold their results back and then suddenly jump from 54th to top. That's unsporting.

Gussio - 54th eh? That' spooky, me picking that as a random position in the table and then having a pop at you in the Metro helmets thread. Who'd have thunk it eh? :shock:
  • Gussio
    :lol: I'm not taking it personally
  • Gussio
    Anyway, I've dropped to 55th :?
  • veronese68
    Gussio wrote:
    Has mcj taken your 54th?
    No danger of me troubling those dizzy heights.
  • Gussio
    The Other Me is the cause of my untimely demise....
  • mcj78
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Gussio wrote:
    Has mcj taken your 54th?
    No danger of me troubling those dizzy heights.

Not guilty - after only 1 week of commuting entries totalling a magnificent 106.2 miles i've gone in at 108, it'll take me a while to catch anyone :lol: what's the "WTD" column on the board mean btw?

/threadjack
    Moda Issimo
    Genesis Volare 853
    Charge Filter Apex
  • mcj78
    Veronese68 wrote:
    wtd = week to date?

Ahaaaa - now it makes sense :oops:
    Moda Issimo
    Genesis Volare 853
    Charge Filter Apex
  • CiB
    Course it makes sense. Clunky interface, hard to fathom sign-up page, awkward Add New page... We don't want any halfwits on there.
    :wink:
  • mcj78
    CiB wrote:
    Course it makes sense. Clunky interface, hard to fathom sign-up page, awkward Add New page... We don't want any halfwits on there.

I had already sussed out if I sorted the table by WTD I jump to 39th place :wink:
    Moda Issimo
    Genesis Volare 853
    Charge Filter Apex
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    CiB wrote:

If I lose my password is the reset one written on a scroll hidden in a temple of doom 'chased by a boulder' style labyrinth?
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."