I'd give my right hand to be ambi-dextrous
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    Holy Moly!

thats rather tasty.....
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    why did they not put the brake on the front of the fork?
    it would have eliminated possible wheel issues with lightweight Ti carbon Qrs.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,362
    nicklouse wrote:
    Because it wouldn't be as pretty - looks trump practicality.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    Moist
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    nicklouse wrote:

Are these the same "issues" mentioned here http://www.ne.jp/asahi/julesandjames/ho ... index.html keen to understand more about that.
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • bonkstrong
    bonkstrong Posts: 120
    5 replies and nobody has menioned the use of DA on an Italian bike?? I'm not angry, I'm just very disappointed...
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,770
    I'm off to buy a lottery ticket.
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    nicklouse wrote:

Surely it makes more sense for the calliper to push against the fork leg than pull away from it?
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Aidy wrote:
    nicklouse wrote:

Surely it makes more sense for the calliper to push against the fork leg than pull away from it?
    But the caliper acts as a pivot, pushing the axle down.....out of the dropouts.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    Sketchley wrote:
    nicklouse wrote:

Are these the same "issues" mentioned here http://www.ne.jp/asahi/julesandjames/ho ... index.html keen to understand more about that.

I remember that, isn't that where the term for lawyers lips comes from on forks now to stop that happening? or is that a different case?

As for DA being on an Italian bike, does it really matter that much???? or is it pure snobbery!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    bails87 wrote:
    Aidy wrote:
    nicklouse wrote:

Spot the MTBers.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Of course I totally love this. Road bike with disc brakes and Di2: where have I seen that before? :wink: Glad they are catching up.

Someone with have to explain the issue with the caliper positioning - I though all disc brakes were position there...
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    edited March 2012
    Wrongness.
  • bails87
    Yep, I'm sure that's where 'lawyer lips' come from.

Not a problem on my MTB with a 20mm Maxle (through axle), but if you were to use an undertightened QR then it may cause a problem.
    MTB/CX

• sketchley
    Of course I totally love this. Road bike with disc brakes and Di2: where have I seen that before? :wink: Glad they are catching up.

Someone with have to explain the issue with the caliper positioning - I though all disc brakes were position there...

Simply put road vibration *may* cause a QR skewer to come slightly loose (disk brake or not), normally this isn't a problem as downward pressure on the axle from your weight stops the wheel coming out. But a disc brakes acts as pivot so that when you apply the brake downward pressure is applied to the axle. Combine these two effect can cause catastrophic failure (i.e. wheel comes out). There are solutions to the problem including mounting the disk brake so it applies upwards pressure. There maybe other technical solution I'd ask Volagi if you are concerned, but recommend a frequent check to make sure QR is tight.
    --
    Chris

• meanredspider
    bails87 wrote:

To push them out of the dropouts, the caliper would have to be at (or even below, as the dropouts face forward) the horizontal line of the QR. In the position the brake is in, the reaction at the QR will be broadly backwards - and pretty much exactly the same as a conventional caliper on a road bike.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • sketchley
    More here, doesn't look like Lawyer lips are enough in themselves...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dropout_%2 ... awyer_lips
    --
    Chris

• Darn your quick posting was just going to post pics, but why no mudguard mounts they missed a trick there
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    I'm gonna be shouted at for this... but I'm not keen. I've never been a huge fan of Colnagos.

I prefer meanredspider's Volagi. So there.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • bails87
    MRS:
    Normal rim brakes are above and in front of the axle, so braking pushes the axle up and bacwkards. Into the dropout.

A disc caliper is behind and above the axle, so the axle is pushed down and backwards when braking. Backwards is good, now that dropouts slope forwards, but down is bad. MAybe that's also why forks now have angled, rther than 'straight down' dropouts?
    MTB/CX

• Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    Spot the MTBers.

Yes, and?
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    davis wrote:
    I'm gonna be shouted at for this... but I'm not keen. I've never been a huge fan of Colnagos.

I'm kinda with you here. I love the paintwork on most of them, but remain unconvinced that lugged is better than say Monocoque.
  • meanredspider
    I'd love to see the force analysis that suggests that this is much (if any) worse than conventional brakes. For starters, the load transfer under exactly this braking (especially on a road bike) is straight down through the fork (hence why it's so easy to lock a rear tyre). If this issue was real, the problem would be far more prevailent on MTBs where the offset of the caliper is extended by the shocks and the loads are much higher (bigger tyre contact patch)
  • bails87
    davis wrote:

I'm kinda with you here. I love the paintwork on most of them, but remain unconvinced that lugged is better than say Monocoque.
    Hadn't noticed that. I was distracted by the horrible grey!
    MTB/CX

• sketchley
    I'd love to see the force analysis that suggests that this is much (if any) worse than conventional brakes. For starters, the load transfer under exactly this braking (especially on a road bike) is straight down through the fork (hence why it's so easy to lock a rear tyre). If this issue was real, the problem would be far more prevailent on MTBs where the offset of the caliper is extended by the shocks and the loads are much higher (bigger tyre contact patch)

Look in the first link I posted, it goes in to some detail... I'd been interested it what Volagi say about it....
    --
    Chris

• Yeah I still prefer the Volagi, but this is a good indicator of what is on its way. For Colnago to release a disc C59 can only be a matter of time for the other brands to follow suit, and then I would guess we are not far from UCI approving them.

I would would have a little bet that Specilaized will have a 2013 Roubaix with Discs and Guards with simialr paint job to the Volagi...
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    I'd have it, great bike, and discs do have serious advantages, but a monocoque or tube-to-tube frame would look better.
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • meanredspider
    bails87 wrote:
    MRS:
    Normal rim brakes are above and in front of the axle, so braking pushes the axle up and bacwkards. Into the dropout.

A disc caliper is behind and above the axle, so the axle is pushed down and backwards when braking. Backwards is good, now that dropouts slope forwards, but down is bad. MAybe that's also why forks now have angled, rther than 'straight down' dropouts?

We're talking degrees - less if you consider TT bikes with brakes behind the fork. MTB set-ups are FAR worse - was just looking at the set-up on my Cube Reaction - pretty much perfectly designed to create this problem - yet I don't hear of hundreds of Cube riders losing front wheels - despite hydraulic brakes, bigger discs, fatter tyres etc.

I have absolutely no concern about this - it's a non-issue
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,362
    bails87 wrote:
    MRS:

Just had a look at my bike and the calipers are not in front of the axle. If you take a line from the axle parallel to the steerer it passes through the centre of the brake pads - the reaction under braking will make the axle swing backwards and slightly down along an arc centred on the pads (assuming the calipers are rigid enough.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition