Forum home Mountain biking forum MTB workshop & tech

9sp crankset on 10sp set-up?

felix.londonfelix.london Posts: 4,067
edited March 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
I'm sure this would have been covered before. So apologies.

Can you use a 9-speed crankset i.e. the SLX double/bash with a 10-speed drivetrain i.e. rear mech, cassette & chain ?

Thanks.
"Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8

• warpcowwarpcow Posts: 1,448
    Yes. Some people say the front shifting isn't as smooth, some people notice no difference.
  • JohnnyAllezJohnnyAllez Posts: 785
    Yes, mine works fine, 9 speed SLX crankset, 9 speed XT front mech, 10 speed XT shifters, XT rear mech, cassette and chain. Shifting is spot-on :)
    Jens says "Shut up legs !! "

Specialized S-Works SaxoBank SL4 Tarmac Di2
  • felix.londonfelix.london Posts: 4,067
    Yes, mine works fine, 9 speed SLX crankset, 9 speed XT front mech, 10 speed XT shifters, XT rear mech, cassette and chain. Shifting is spot-on :)

Perfect! Cheers.
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • jarnojarno Posts: 4
    The chainrings on the 10 speed setup are slightly narrower to accommodate the narrower chain.
    I reckon it would work, wont shift as good and the chain will wear out quicker.

Adding a 10spd middle ring would help a lot I think.
  • JohnnyAllezJohnnyAllez Posts: 785
    9 speed and 10 speed chains - the difference is in the chain outer sideplates, 10 speed chains have thinner sideplates, the pitch and width of the teeth on chainsets are the same.
    Jens says "Shut up legs !! "

Specialized S-Works SaxoBank SL4 Tarmac Di2
  • The RookieThe Rookie Posts: 27,804
    jarno wrote:
    The chainrings on the 10 speed setup are slightly narrower to accommodate the narrower chain.
    I reckon it would work, wont shift as good and the chain will wear out quicker.

Adding a 10spd middle ring would help a lot I think.

As stated, no reason for the chainring to be narrower as the internal width of 9 and 10 speed are the same, 'reckon' and 'I think' are no substiute for research and facts.

Simon
    Current steed - Whyte T129, 2013 frame, mongrel Revelations, Giant dropper, Stans S1 wheelset. 12, Magura Trail Sport brakes, 1x11. 12.8Kg