9sp crankset on 10sp set-up?

felix.london
felix.london Posts: 4,067
edited March 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
I'm sure this would have been covered before. So apologies.

Can you use a 9-speed crankset i.e. the SLX double/bash with a 10-speed drivetrain i.e. rear mech, cassette & chain ?

Thanks.
"Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8

Comments

• warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    Yes. Some people say the front shifting isn't as smooth, some people notice no difference.
  • JohnnyAllez
    JohnnyAllez Posts: 785
    Yes, mine works fine, 9 speed SLX crankset, 9 speed XT front mech, 10 speed XT shifters, XT rear mech, cassette and chain. Shifting is spot-on :)
    Jens says "Shut up legs !! "

Specialized S-Works SaxoBank SL4 Tarmac Di2
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    Yes, mine works fine, 9 speed SLX crankset, 9 speed XT front mech, 10 speed XT shifters, XT rear mech, cassette and chain. Shifting is spot-on :)

Perfect! Cheers.
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • jarno
    jarno Posts: 4
    The chainrings on the 10 speed setup are slightly narrower to accommodate the narrower chain.
    I reckon it would work, wont shift as good and the chain will wear out quicker.

Adding a 10spd middle ring would help a lot I think.
  • JohnnyAllez
    JohnnyAllez Posts: 785
    9 speed and 10 speed chains - the difference is in the chain outer sideplates, 10 speed chains have thinner sideplates, the pitch and width of the teeth on chainsets are the same.
    Jens says "Shut up legs !! "

Specialized S-Works SaxoBank SL4 Tarmac Di2
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    jarno wrote:
    The chainrings on the 10 speed setup are slightly narrower to accommodate the narrower chain.
    I reckon it would work, wont shift as good and the chain will wear out quicker.

Adding a 10spd middle ring would help a lot I think.

As stated, no reason for the chainring to be narrower as the internal width of 9 and 10 speed are the same, 'reckon' and 'I think' are no substiute for research and facts.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.