New(entry level) forks required

2»

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I would go for the Recons simply because parts are readily available, they are fairly simple to service, and there are enough experts who can sort them out - Locotuning, Mojo, TFT, if needed.
    Never ridden Epicons so can't help there. I have Recons and they do everything I want with no hassles.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    For anyone whose interested, I emailed farnham yesterday and got this reply today:

Edit: thats to do with the suntour epicon RLD

Hi Adam

Yes this is a 1 1/8' steerer, our picture is wrong, sorry for the confusion. My supplier who sell us the forks also do all the spares and seals, so there should be no problem getting hold of spares. These forks have 80-120mm travel so there a good amount of adjustment. Lastly remote is included but a shock pump is not, but these are easy to get hold of.
    Thanks
    Rob
    http://www.farnhamcycles.co.uk

I'm trying to decide between the exact same forks as the OP so I'm keeping a close eye here.
  • GAZAMAN77
    GAZAMAN77 Posts: 44
    Update.
    I decided to buy the recon gold tk airs.
    After the recommendations from this thread and some extra advice from sonic I decided to just go ahead with the purchase.
    To be honest I was swaying towards the recons after noticing on Farnhams cycles website that the epicons had gone up.

I'll report back with my verdinct when Ive got them on and given them a blast.

Thanks folks
    Gaz
  • mattyg2004
    mattyg2004 Posts: 196
    After checking out my mates forks. Then I'm sure a couple of water filled balloons would be better than your original ones.

I'm sure you'll be chuffed with em.
  • GAZAMAN77
    mattyg2004 wrote:
    After checking out my mates forks. Then I'm sure a couple of water filled balloons would be better than your original ones.

I'm sure you'll be chuffed with em.
    Cheers mate
    I've put them on this evening so I'm gonna get out tomorrow morning (weather permitting) to try them out.
    I'll post back with my findings :D

Gaz
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    GAZAMAN77 wrote:
    I've put them on this evening so I'm gonna get out tomorrow morning (weather permitting) to try them out.

Gaz
    i'm pretty sure they won't melt if its raining :D
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • GAZAMAN77
    chez_m356 wrote:
    GAZAMAN77 wrote:

Gaz
    i'm pretty sure they won't melt if its raining :D
    :lol:
    Yeah but I might :mrgreen:
    Does anybody have a USER manual or a link to one?
    I got a manual that sowed the fitting but not actually how to use them etc.
    The sram site is a bloody nightmare.
    Cheers
    Gaz
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Dead easy to use ;-)

Set the sag: inflate until the fork drops 25% of the travel when stood on the bike.

Set the rebound: you want them to return fast enough for the next hit, but not too fast as to fire back and lose control, or two slow that they pack down.

Lock: when you feel the need!

That's it! Ride them! They take a while to bes in. If you are not using full travel, or they feel a bit too firm, try 30% sag. Or if you are bottoming too much, try 20%. Tweak rebound.
  • GAZAMAN77
    :D
    Been out today (cut short by a 2inch nail that decided to have good stabbing at my tube) and from what ive experienced so far,im extremely happy. Its like a new bike.......and apparently they need to bed in so may even surprise me even more.
    i no longer feel every single pebble i ride over and it feels so much smoother.
    i aint tried changing anything yet but will have a play about tomorrow.
    not only have i learned today that i should carry a spare tube, i have also realised that for the last year or so,i may as well have been riding rigid.
    very happy.
  • concorde
    concorde Posts: 1,008
    :-) I really should get some forks that work, the difference sounds amazing.

I was the only one carrying a spare tube out today and one of the lads made a right tit of himself in the carpark, went off a curb, landed front wheel sideways, straight off and a pinch flat so lucky I had it, and even more lucky none of us punctured on the way round. Whites Level over Afan isn't the smoothest so was lucky really.