New(entry level) forks required

GAZAMAN77
GAZAMAN77 Posts: 44
edited March 2012 in MTB buying advice
After having my bike for a while now, I think its time for a slight upgrade.
Now, my bike is only a Giant talon 2.5 so nothing special.
Since having the bike I have been haunted by the bike radar review which basically slated the forks. So I've wanted to upgrade for some time.
The current forks are Suntour XCM V2 100mm.
I cant really spend a lot so was hoping to spend £150 max and so was thinking of the rock shox recon silver tk.
Would these improve the ride any or would it be a pointless upgrade? This may seem odd but I honestly dont know if the current forks are any good or not....This is the first bike Ive had in 15 years and so cant compare them with anything. I dont have any major probs with the forks but if I replace these with the recons, would I notice a difference?
I mainly ride local trails with varied terrain (small drop offs now and again) Nothing to hardcore.

Many thanks
Gaz

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The Recon is a good fork, but this is better:

http://www.farnhamcycles.co.uk/Shop/p/4 ... -wh-120mm/

If you can't stretch that far, there is this:

http://www.farnhamcycles.co.uk/Shop/p/4 ... -bk-120mm/

Both are air sprung, oil damped and have plenty of adjustment.
  • GAZAMAN77
    Thanks for the quick repy mate.
    Would have gone with the raidon as it looks like its got decent reviews but the V brake mounts are a big turn off for me.
    I might have a word with the gaffer to see if I could go for the other ones. Ive seen the recons for £109 but what normally happens when Im looking for something is, I always see one which is better " but only 20 quid more" and I end up doing this a few times and spending a fortune......but the missus is wise to this now so I have to be realistic :D
  • mattyg2004
    mattyg2004 Posts: 196
    If it helps a mate of mine has just killed his suntour forks and is looking at replacement until he gets his new bike. I guess If ya quick he'll take your old forks if the price is right
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    supersonic wrote:

does that pic show a tapered steerer, or is it just the site showing the wrong one? i have the recons on my hardrock, they are good forks, but the epicon is better, you wouldn't be sorry with either, my advice, listen to "sonic"
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • GAZAMAN77
    mattyg2004 wrote:
    If it helps a mate of mine has just killed his suntour forks and is looking at replacement until he gets his new bike. I guess If ya quick he'll take your old forks if the price is right
    Ok sound! If you tell him to send me a PM then maybe we could sort something.
    Thanks for that!
  • supersonic
    chez_m356 wrote:
    supersonic wrote:

does that pic show a tapered steerer, or is it just the site showing the wrong one? i have the recons on my hardrock, they are good forks, but the epicon is better, you wouldn't be sorry with either, my advice, listen to "sonic"

The pic is of a taper, well spotted! But the description says othewise: definitely one to phone up about.
  • Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    How does the Suntour Epicon RLD compare to the RockShox Gold TK solo air?

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/FORSRECGLDA ... th_poplock

(I think the description is wrong as the website states motion control yet its TK? RL is motion control)
  • supersonic
    Is very close. It is not motion control as you rightly say, but TK which is an on/off lockout. The Epicon is lighter - in terms of adjustment they are about the same.

I'd say the Recon would be the most reliable, and the internals can be updated to MoCo.
  • GAZAMAN77
    Gonna have to try and upgrade as cheap as possibe really as have loads of stuff coming up so gotta watch the pennies!!!
    The recon silver tks are at an attractive £109 with free p+p at the minute which is tempting
    Do you think its a worthwhile upgrade??
    Cheers
    Gaz
  • tarbot18
    tarbot18 Posts: 531
    I have the raidon s on my bike which are great forks but for the £40 extra id go for the epicon about a pound lighter.
    The family that rides together stays together !

Boardman Comp 29er 2013

Whyte T129s 2014 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12965414&p=18823801&hilit=whyte+t129s#p18823801

Road Scott speedster s50 2011
  • supersonic
    GAZAMAN77 wrote:
    Gonna have to try and upgrade as cheap as possibe really as have loads of stuff coming up so gotta watch the pennies!!!
    The recon silver tks are at an attractive £109 with free p+p at the minute which is tempting
    Cheers
    Gaz

Any of the forks will be worthwhile.
  • chez_m356
    GAZAMAN77 wrote:
    Cheers
    Gaz
    simple answer, Yes
  • GAZAMAN77
    supersonic wrote:
    GAZAMAN77 wrote:
    Cheers
    Gaz

Thanks sonic
    Just wanted to be sure they would make a noticable difference.
    With them only being £109 I was questioning if the difference would be worthwhile.
    As you can see from the following link,the stock forks havent got a very good reputation....
    http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... -10-35418/

Thanks again
    Gaz
  • GAZAMAN77
    chez_m356 wrote:
    GAZAMAN77 wrote:
    Cheers
    Gaz
    simple answer, Yes

Cheers chez
    Are yours coil or solo air?

Gaz
  • supersonic
    GAZAMAN77 wrote:
    supersonic wrote:
    GAZAMAN77 wrote:
    Cheers
    Gaz

Thanks sonic
    With them only being £109 I was questioning if the difference would be worthwhile.
    As you can see from the following link,the stock forks havent got a very good reputation....

Thanks again
    Gaz

Let me put it more succinctly - the forks you have are bloody shite!
  • GAZAMAN77
    supersonic wrote:
    GAZAMAN77 wrote:
    supersonic wrote:
    GAZAMAN77 wrote:
    Cheers
    Gaz

Thanks sonic

Thanks again
    Gaz

lol Thanks mate....Thats all I needed to hear!!!!
  • chez_m356
    supersonic wrote:
    GAZAMAN77 wrote:

Thanks again
    Gaz

:shock: are MODS allowed to swear :lol:
  • GAZAMAN77
    I think considering the fact that i subjected him to something so horrific then yes!!!
  • Go for it. The suntour "forks" on my Talon 2 died and Giant kindly told my LBS to give me the equivalent rrp for them as a replacement. I got Rockshox Toras instead. I can now fly over terrain which was previously get off and push time with the original forks.
  • chez_m356
    GAZAMAN77 wrote:
    Cheers chez
    Are yours coil or solo air?

Gaz
    mine are coil, had them about 18 months, and they have taken quite a lot of abuse and still going strong, and im 100kg
  • concorde
    concorde Posts: 1,008
    Will all three forks here be plusher than the shit Suntour XCT V2 on mine! I only get about to inches of travel out of them ever! Want something to make me shake less!
  • chez_m356
    Concorde wrote:
    Will all three forks here be plusher than the shoot Suntour XCT V2 on mine! I only get about to inches of travel out of them ever! Want something to make me shake less!
    yes, out of interest, what are you riding, is it a vulcan ?
  • concorde
    concorde Posts: 1,008
    chez_m356 wrote:
    Concorde wrote:
    Will all three forks here be plusher than the shoot Suntour XCT V2 on mine! I only get about to inches of travel out of them ever! Want something to make me shake less!
    yes, out of interest, what are you riding, is it a vulcan ?

Thanks, yes it is.
  • GAZAMAN77
    Update..
    Ive convinced the other half to let me stretch a little further so can now widen my choice.
    A friend of a friend is selling some used,minty mint 2010 Rock shox Reba SL.
    Or there are the ones suggested by Sonic OR I could get some brand new Recon gold TK solo air.
    Above is my short list but I'm struggling to make a decision.
    Any body have any experience on the above?
    I have my finger on the trigger and wanna get some ordered.

Gaz
  • mattwood
    mattwood Posts: 148
    I am about to pull the trigger on the Epicons that 'sonic suggested so wuld also be interested to hear feedback about them.
  • mattyg2004
    mattyg2004 Posts: 196
    Reba sl come standard on my bike. Once set up they are really good (for what I do,Trial centres)

They have an issue with the lockout not returning BUT is normally repaired under warranty, especially as the problem was in the manufacturing so WAS present at sale. BUT not sure on the 2nd hand issue.
  • chez_m356
    GAZAMAN77 wrote:
    Update..
    Ive convinced the other half to let me stretch a little further so can now widen my choice.
    A friend of a friend is selling some used,minty mint 2010 Rock shox Reba SL.
    Or there are the ones suggested by Sonic OR I could get some brand new Recon gold TK solo air.
    Above is my short list but I'm struggling to make a decision.
    Any body have any experience on the above?
    I have my finger on the trigger and wanna get some ordered.

Gaz
    you need to make sure that the steerer on the reba's is long enough to fit your frame, if it is, then basically they are arguably one of the best forks you could put on your bike, i'm sure "sonic" would agree
  • GAZAMAN77
    Gutted...The Reba steerer tube wasnt long enough so thats now not an option.
    The remaining two in the short list are...
    Recon gold solo air
    Suntour Epicons (which I really like the look of)
    Would they both easily fit on my bike Giant talon 2.5?

Really need to order these asap so any help appreciated.

Gaz
  • supersonic
    They come with full length, 260mm steerers - so you need t cut to size and add a star nut.

Do check with the retailer that the Epicon is a straight steerer, not tapered, should you wish to take that fork.
  • GAZAMAN77
    Thanks mate

Yeah I've called them and the image on the website is wrong ant the tube is actually straight,not tapered.
    Would you go for the epicons over the Recons?