Strava Newbie

2»

Comments

• jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    TheFD wrote:
    Is there a way to report or get a ridiculous time removed?

Near me there is a section I ride regularly and it has the KOM speed as 47mph on a 4.6% grade. All the others are sensible times and avg speeds - just one idiot with a avg speed which is faster than the 40mph speed limit.

Bikes don't have speed limits on the vast majority of roads (Royal parks being the obvious exception, although few of the strava segments in them are actually under the speed limit) so maybe it was legit :)

There's FLAG RIDE option if you go to the ride for the effort and then you can remove it.
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    TheFD wrote:

Near me there is a section I ride regularly and it has the KOM speed as 47mph on a 4.6% grade. All the others are sensible times and avg speeds - just one idiot with a avg speed which is faster than the 40mph speed limit.

yeah there is, i've never done it before but there should be something on the segment page for reporting.
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    TheFD wrote:

He posts on here as Sundlun_Supporter, PM him and get him to remove his rides.
  • thefd
    thefd Posts: 1,021
    ShutUpLegs wrote:
    He posts on here as Sundlun_Supporter, PM him and get him to remove his rides.
    Ahhh leave SS alone - I find him quite amusing!!
    2017 - Caadx
    2016 - Cervelo R3
    2013 - R872
    2010 - Spesh Tarmac
  • springtide9
    springtide9 Posts: 1,731
    TheFD wrote:

yeah there is, i've never done it before but there should be something on the segment page for reporting.

Flagging a False KOM/QOM
    https://strava.zendesk.com/entries/2095 ... se-kom-qom

Sometimes, Strava users will leave their GPS on while driving in a car, or a motorcycle, or the GPS will cut out and give the user a faster time than humanly possible. Users are ultimately responsible for their own data, and there is a Cropping tool to edit your data and crop out portions that you don't want. But, if you come across bad data on Segment Leaderboards, here's how to fix it:

Flag an Activity:
    We have a mechanism for reporting and removing false KOMs/QOMs. From the offending activity details page, you can "Flag" the data to remove all the offending times from all the Segment Leaderboards. Effectively, the data remains on the site, and the segments remain on the Activity page, but all the segment results are prohibited from showing up in the Segment results.

To Flag an activity, make sure you navigate to the activity details page. From the Segment page, click on the date of the offending ride in the Segment Leaderboard results to link to the activity page. Then click "Back to Ride/Run" to access the "Actions" menu. From the Actions menu in the right sidebar, select "Flag Ride/Run". After stating your description, Submit the flag and the results will instantly be removed from all Segments.

The Flagged ride will not be resolved until the data is fixed and cleared of all data that is false to the Activity Type.

Unflag an Activity:
    If you think your activity may be flagged, contact Support and we will be happy to help you resolve a flag.
    Simon
  • daysofspeed
    daysofspeed Posts: 105
    Do you get segments and such from a Garmin upload?

Love Strava but the iPhone battery and potential phone charges for usage is a concern!*

*possible it uses zero data, I can't suss that out!
  • springtide9
    springtide9 Posts: 1,731
    Do you get segments and such from a Garmin upload?
    Love Strava but the iPhone battery and potential phone charges for usage is a concern!*
    *possible it uses zero data, I can't suss that out!

You get segments from any kind of GPS data (so yes, Garmin devices give you segments)

http://app.strava.com/upload/select
    Works for single .gpx, .tcx, and .fit files 25MB or smaller. Large files may take some time to process.
    To upload multiple files from your computer...
    For multiple files, or files larger than 25MB, send an email to upload@strava.com with your file(s) attached. It may take some time to process. Your activities will appear on your My Activity page when they have been uploaded and processed.

Battery life is the main reason former "Mobile Phone" users get a dedicated GPS/fitness device (whether it's for Strava, RWGPS etc). The (expensive) Edge 800 quotes "typical 15 hrs" - with navigation enabled I got the 'battery warning' message after about 10 hrs... although not sure what level the battery level warning comes on at (20% maybe?). Still, 10 hrs with nav enabled is pretty good IMO.
    Simon
  • thefd
    Just put of interest how many people have upgraded Strava to the Premium? Is it worth it?
    2017 - Caadx
    2016 - Cervelo R3
    2013 - R872
    2010 - Spesh Tarmac
  • NeilMick
    NeilMick Posts: 98
    Remember to set your phone to Aeroplane mode with just the GPS on and you can get about 10 hours of ride out of a HTC Desire, newer phones with bigger batteries likely more! Just turn your data back on at the end of a ride and you can upload it.
  • Rigged
    Rigged Posts: 214
    With an iPhone, airplane (should say Aeroplane if you set the language to English(UK) :evil: ) mode will disable GPS. Instead, go to Settings > General > Network > and turn Cellular Data off. Turn off Wireless as well. This will greatly improve your battery life, and supposedly increase GPS accuracy, but will stop you from being able to download maps on the move so if you need to see that either allow the map to load first whilst you're still home and it will be stored in the cache, or download maps to offline mode if your GPS tracker of choice allows you to do so. This is what I've done with Runtastic Road Bike Pro. A roughly 250 mile square area around my home is a 105mb file and covers all the local rides I could wish to do.
  • monkeydan
    monkeydan Posts: 95
    Just bumping this up to see if anyone had any tips for getting a satellite connection for Strava through their phone? I'm using Android (HTC Desire).

I have started Strava up numerous times between 10-15 minutes before I'm due to leave but have a real issue with getting a GPS connection. Basically I haven't yet had a ride which has been logged properly and I'm getting kind of frustrated.

I've downloaded an app called GPS Status which is supposed to help, I finally managed to connect to a few satellites yesterday evening when I was messing about with it, then opened Strava which connected straight away. However when I tried to connect this morning, same thing again... waited 15 minutes, no connection, was going to be late to work so set off anyway. 7 miles later and it tells me that I have been stationary and there is no data to upload.

This may be a moot point as I've actually just ordered a Holux 245 GPS data logger but it will probably take a while to arrive and I'd like to get my problem sorted if possible anyway (I have massive issues with Google Maps as well, sometimes it can't even read my location).

PLEASE HELP!!!
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro
  • thefd
    monkeydan wrote:
    I have started Strava up numerous times between 10-15 minutes before I'm due to leave but have a real issue with getting a GPS connection. Basically I haven't yet had a ride which has been logged properly and I'm getting kind of frustrated.
    I can't say for Android but the iPhone is great. Connects straight away. Have you another app you could open and get a fix with first? Like google maps or Tomtom?
    2017 - Caadx
    2016 - Cervelo R3
    2013 - R872
    2010 - Spesh Tarmac
  • snoopsmydogg
    snoopsmydogg Posts: 1,110
    monkeydan wrote:
    Just bumping this up to see if anyone had any tips for getting a satellite connection for Strava through their phone? I'm using Android (HTC Desire).

I use a HTC wildfire and Strava but rarely have issues with connecting. Do you let strava find the signal before starting to record the route? I find if you let it locate the gps then press record it works a lot faster than recording while it finds the signal.

Saying that I was on a route the other day and lost signal for about 6 miles but the rest of it recorded ok.
  • monkeydan
    monkeydan Posts: 95
    TheFD wrote:
    I can't say for Android but the iPhone is great. Connects straight away. Have you another app you could open and get a fix with first? Like google maps or Tomtom?

Well, this is the issue... I seem to have problems across multiple apps with getting a fix. Even with Google Maps it can take several minutes (or more) before I connect. Sometimes I give up as I leave it for upwards of 10 minutes and it never connects.
    I use a HTC wildfire and Strava but rarely have issues with connecting. Do you let strava find the signal before starting to record the route? I find if you let it locate the gps then press record it works a lot faster than recording while it finds the signal.

Saying that I was on a route the other day and lost signal for about 6 miles but the rest of it recorded ok.

I try and let Strava connect but like I said, I left it for 15 minutes this morning while I was getting ready to leave for work and it didn't connect so I just pressed record when I left on the off chance that it would pick up a signal en route. My commute took 29 minutes and it said I was stationary. I can't sit around forever waiting for it! I left my phone on my desk at work this morning to see whether I could get a connection and even after half an hour it was still searching.

A couple of my mates have joined and I am really frustrated that I can't race them - this is important dagnabbit!
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro