Strava Newbie

amc
amc Posts: 315
edited May 2012 in Road beginners
As usual i'm a bit slow to pick up things but last night I downloaded Strava.com to my iphone but i couldn't see there or on the website an idiot proof guide to using it. Sorry if this posted elsewhere but i couldn't find on a search either - just some blistering times.
Once downloaded and turned on, how I will know when someone else's segment start or stops? Also if i wanted to start a segment on an iphone, will i have to manually start it on the iphone (ie when i'm stopped or just rolling, ie going slow).
I'm just hoping to use it for a bit of fun on my commute to start off - those leader boards looked a bit scary to me.
Thanks
amc

Comments

• charliew87
    charliew87 Posts: 371
    Segments only really come into play on the website. On your phone, just record the route and press upload when you've finished the ride. Then online you can see all the segments you've been through, create new ones and enjoy all the other features. On your phone you can only see segments of completed rides.

After one commute you will see where all the segments are and know where to put the hammer down the next time!
    Canyon AL Ultimate 9.0
  • kim10
    kim10 Posts: 186
    As above - very easy to navigate through the features but go for a couple of rides first so you got some data to look at.
    Most of the features are via the website. Be careful though the segments and the urge to better yourself or get a KOM is addictive :wink:
  • ianbar
    ianbar Posts: 1,354
    agree with the other posts, you need to get some rides loaded up up so you have some data to work from then using the site will take care of itself.
    enigma esprit
    cannondale caad8 tiagra 2012
  • madden2011
    madden2011 Posts: 142
    Used Strava on my last 4 rides. Got my first KOM today on segment I set last week. Although its only me and another guy still gives a little sense of achievement
  • amc
    Ok thanks guys. I used it in my commute on Saturday and now understand what you are saying.
    I can see how it can be addictive - I came 10th on a tiny stretch with my fixed and broken hand (and no it wasn't out of 11) and got a little trophy sig.
    But still cannot see how to create my own new segment. I did look on they website but too stupid to work it out.
    amc
  • Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    amc wrote:
    But still cannot see how to create my own new segment. I did look on they website but too stupid to work it out.
    When looking at your ride on the web site there is a big blue button "Create New Segment". Use the start and end drag bar or back/forward buttons to set the segment. Click Next then give your segment a name. That's it.

Strava help - Create a segment
  • I went out for a 50 mile ride today and it was the first time I have used strava.
    My bearings collapsed in my bottom bracket at 50 miles.I only had 4 miles to go until home so i rang home for a lift.
    You guessed it.. Due to my frustrations and mind boggling over my knackered bearings I put bike in car and headed home.When I got home I remembered the Strava and switched it off.
    I later had a look at my ride where I was 5th on one climb and 3rd on another and 6th on another.
    Then the last one in the car may I add was king of the hill at 46km!!! which is a genuine mistake!! :oops: :oops:
    Now how do remove my self as king of the hill?
    I do not want to become that bloke that cheats. So please please help.
  • slowondefy2
    slowondefy2 Posts: 348
    You're not the first to do this, don't worry. You can delete part of a ride.

Go to the page of your ride (from the main page click the map of the relevant ride and it'll take you to a page showing more details of the ride). There's a button called 'Actions' - you may need to scroll the page to the right to see it - the web page is too wide for my monitor, anyway. Click it and you should get a dropdown menu. Select 'crop ride', which should take you to a new page. There's a slider at the top where you can set the beginning and end points of the ride that you want to keep. Seeing as you only want to remove the last part, move the green slider all the way to the left, and the red slider to the point where you stopped. If you zoom the map in with the + buttons it's easier to accurately set the end point. Click 'Crop' and that should be that!
  • amc
    Got it - thanks.
    amc
  • amc
    Getting to grips with it now. Made a new segment last weeks and currently (and no doubt briefly) enjoying KoM status out of 75.
    Another numpty question though - is there an auto start/pause option like of many bike computers. By time i have turned it ap on, locked up, put lights on etc, it been a few minutes before i turn a pedal in anger???
    amc
  • Gizmodo
    amc wrote:
    Getting to grips with it now. Made a new segment last weeks and currently (and no doubt briefly) enjoying KoM status out of 75.
    Another numpty question though - is there an auto start/pause option like of many bike computers. By time i have turned it ap on, locked up, put lights on etc, it been a few minutes before i turn a pedal in anger???
    Strava lets you "crop" the ride. Whilst looking at a particular ride, to the right of the map are 2 buttons, "Edit Ride" and "Actions". Drop down the list of "Actions" and select "Crop Ride". Just like you did with the Segment, there are now controls above the map to move the start and end points, removing your 'fiddling' time.

Even better, buy a proper bike computer with GPS (such as a Garmin, Bryton or Holux) and upload the data from that. No fiddling time.
  • amc
    Great - thanks.
    amc
  • Hi

I have just downloaded the ap and I am looking forward to using it for the first time this weekend

I have a couple of questions that I can't seem to find answers to on the Strava website

1) I want to set a time on someone elses segment. Do you just turn strava on, cycle to the start and complete the segement? or do you have to click start new ride and then do the segment etc....

2) Some of the segments I want to try are quite long, one in particular is 30KM. how do you know you are taking the correct route around the segment? E.g/ can you come out of strava and use google maps to help you follow the correct route?

thanks
  • Gizmodo
    1) I want to set a time on someone elses segment. Do you just turn strava on, cycle to the start and complete the segement? or do you have to click start new ride and then do the segment etc....

2) Some of the segments I want to try are quite long, one in particular is 30KM. how do you know you are taking the correct route around the segment? E.g/ can you come out of strava and use google maps to help you follow the correct route?
    1) The former, start your Strava app, start riding, if you cycle a segment (whether on purpose or by accident) then when you get home and upload your data, your time on the segment will be calculated automatically by their web site.

2) I don't use the Strava phone app, so I can't answer that one. If the Strava app continues to record GPS data in the background whilst you mess around with your phone, then yes. Go and buy a proper GPS bike computer and leave your phone to answering calls. :D
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    Hi

I have just downloaded the ap and I am looking forward to using it for the first time this weekend

I have a couple of questions that I can't seem to find answers to on the Strava website

thanks

Open the app, then press the big red recording button to start the GPS tracking.

You can do this at the start of the ride if you want the whole ride to be tracked -> or just for a segment if your phone has a dodgy battery or something -> but you have to press the big red button or it doesn't record.

after the ride just pause the recording and press 'finish ride' -> it should upload to the website automatically.
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120

Yes. It will run in the background unless you pause/ stop it. I am talking iPhone here though.

PP
  • nick_1978
    nick_1978 Posts: 34
    Does anyone use anything else in parallel with Strava?
    I am currently using Google Tracks to track all my training rides, but the competitive part of me wants to try and record some good times on Strava. Can the two run alongside each other and record the data ok?
    Be good to hear if then can, or if anyone else uses 2 apps.
    Ta.
  • slowondefy2
    slowondefy2 Posts: 348
    I use MotionX on iPhone to record my rides, then import the data as a .GPX file into Strava. I don't really like the Strava iPhone app.
  • Gizmo_
    Gizmo_ Posts: 558
    I've got Endomondo, MapMyRide, MotionX and Strava on my iPhone, have been experimenting with them.

Endomondo is used by quite a few of my friends and is nice and simple, and I like the competitive part of Strava.

MapMyRide is a bit graphics-heavy, MotionX seems to lose the GPS quite often.

Does anyone know what the battery life is like on the Garmin cycle computers... that may be the answer?
    Scott Sportster P45 2008 | Cannondale CAAD8 Tiagra 2012
  • I've a Garmin Edge 800. Battery life is immense. I did the C2C over 3 days without charging it.
  • Gizmodo
    Gizmo_ wrote:
    Does anyone know what the battery life is like on the Garmin cycle computers... that may be the answer?
    I've seen figures like 18 hours quoted, it depends on which model. I've certainly used my Garmin 800 1 day for several hours, not charged it then used it with backlight for a 50 mile run. The backlight kills any device but generally you only need it in the dark. There was still battery life left in it by the way.
  • Gizmo_
    Gizmo_ Posts: 558
    Gizmodo wrote:
    Gizmo_ wrote:
    I've seen figures like 18 hours quoted, it depends on which model. I've certainly used my Garmin 800 1 day for several hours, not charged it then used it with backlight for a 50 mile run. The backlight kills any device but generally you only need it in the dark. There was still battery life left in it by the way.
    £270? Damn.
    Scott Sportster P45 2008 | Cannondale CAAD8 Tiagra 2012
  • gakko
    gakko Posts: 59
    You can get about 13hrs out of garming edge 200, battery charges quite quickly on this device too, whenever uploading to websites it charges whilst its plugged in so it keeps the battery topped up.
    Slowly but surely! :)
  • Rigged
    Rigged Posts: 214
    I use the Runkeeper app and then export to Strava. Obviously Strava has pretty unique capabilities on their website but their app is comparatively pants. Runkeeper on the other hand is great...and also free!
  • nick_1978
    I have been trying to find an equivalent app to androids my tracks, for my new iphone... there are some good suggestions in this forum.
    BUT ... what is really important for me is the auto pause function and it's ability to export the track as gpx.
    Do endomundo / runkeeper / strava have an auto pause function? ... what about exporting as a gpx file?

Any info would be great. Thanks in advance...
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    nick_1978 wrote:
    I have been trying to find an equivalent app to androids my tracks, for my new iphone... there are some good suggestions in this forum.
    BUT ... what is really important for me is the auto pause function and it's ability to export the track as gpx.
    Do endomundo / runkeeper / strava have an auto pause function? ... what about exporting as a gpx file?

With Strava the time keeps running on the app... but you get two times at the end of the ride.
    You're average speed will be calculated using moving time (listed as 'Time' on the website/stats)
    The total ride time inc. stationary time will be recorded as 'elapsed time'

Is that what you're wanting?
  • rob21
    rob21 Posts: 284
    I have the Garmin Edge 500 and upload to strava as well as Garmin connect :D

today's ride... http://app.strava.com/rides/6795468
  • gakko
    gakko Posts: 59
    You can export gpx to strava no problem, right top corner with orange 'upload activity' if it's multiple files or over 25Mb you can send it off to them and they will upload it for you.

On the other hand, is there an option to input average HR and max HR manually? I train with Edge 200 and a separate Polar HR monitor.
    Slowly but surely! :)
  • nick_1978
    nick_1978 wrote:

With Strava the time keeps running on the app... but you get two times at the end of the ride.
    You're average speed will be calculated using moving time (listed as 'Time' on the website/stats)
    The total ride time inc. stationary time will be recorded as 'elapsed time'

Is that what you're wanting?

I used the strava app on Sundays ride, and worked out what you have just said when i finished the ride! :)
    The strava app for the iphone seems to be smoother than the android version, that was all.
    As for the gpx files, well ideally i would like to keep them backed up on my laptop - ready for when the next best gps training tracker type thing appears in the future. Can you export from strava?
    No biggie if you can't.

Also, iPhone battery life - my battery was at 100% when I started my ride, 3hr 30mins and 57 miles later - 5 miles from home, the battery died. Obviously missing my last 5 miles, a bit annoying... it did record what I had completed though.
  • thefd
    thefd Posts: 1,021
    Is there a way to report or get a ridiculous time removed?

Near me there is a section I ride regularly and it has the KOM speed as 47mph on a 4.6% grade. All the others are sensible times and avg speeds - just one idiot with a avg speed which is faster than the 40mph speed limit.
    2017 - Caadx
    2016 - Cervelo R3
    2013 - R872
    2010 - Spesh Tarmac