Diet and eating rate on rides.

willhub
willhub Posts: 821
I need some advice on a cheap but relatively healthy diet to help me loose weight.

I'm not fat as it is, but I figure I'd be a hell of alot faster if I could shift some more fat, I weigh about 75-80kg somewhere around that at the moment.

Is it possible to get away with a healthy diet off £20 a week?

Also, I notice some people eat a lot on club runs or in races, where as I seem to be hapilly able to cope off a single bite of a Mars Bar for a 80 miles, does this mean I have a slow metabolism or my body is more efficient or anything?

Thanks.

Comments

• Herbsman
    Herbsman Posts: 2,029
    Depends where you are in the world but here in the UK Brown rice, lentils and beans from the Indian Supermarket are cheap as are veg from the local outdoor market
    CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!
  • sturmey
    sturmey Posts: 964
    £20 a week for your food!? Would be possible if it was 1980's but you're going to need to spend more than that unless you plan on living off porridge.
    Come to think of it porridge everyday for breakfast incl milk would cost about £2 tops for the whole week.
    Then lunch- a brown bread sandwich with some tuna on it - cheap again.
    Main meal should cost about £2- £3 per night.
    You are gonna have to starve though if you fancy a few beers one night or your racing weapon needs a new set of SRM cranks.
  • willhub
    No, every time you pay tax, it's on some SRM cranks for me ;)
  • Herbsman
    Herbsman Posts: 2,029
    Proper racers don't drink beer; it interferes with recovery
    CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!
  • Zingzang
    Zingzang Posts: 196
    Willhub, you must have some interesting club runs over there in Iran. Do tell us more.
  • sturmey
    sturmey Posts: 964
    Ha ha yeah, bet he has to keep a look out for suicide bombers and bomb craters.

On no,hang on a minute. I'm thinking about commuting in Manchester again.
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    You should aim to consume 1g of carbs per 1kg of body weight per hour, so roughly 70g of carbs an hour. Either via drinks, bars or gels (or whatever).

A bite of Mars bar is nowhere near enough :shock:
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • willhub
    I've just got this myfitnesspal thing, and logged all the food I've ate today (it logs it from the actual products as they have a large database)

Turns out I've ate 918 calories so far, with a goal of 1570 per day (to loose the weight I want to), now I had 216 cal for breakfast (Oat So Simple), and 702 for dinner.

I then put in I burn 1086 kj (36 mile ride @ 18mph) That equates to 259 calories, now surely I've burnt off more than that? (Strava calculated the kj, Garmin counted it at 2,000 calories so wrong) What is the rough estimate I have probably burnt?

I thought it was 1086 calories, so I put that in and my net is -168, apparently I need to eat 1738 more, which means I may be under eating? But at the same time not loosing weight.

Even with 256 calories added I've got 908 remaining, and I'd have only ate about a further 600, so am I under eating?
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    t.m.h.n.e.t Posts: 2,265
    willhub wrote:
    I've just got this myfitnesspal thing, and logged all the food I've ate today (it logs it from the actual products as they have a large database)

Turns out I've ate 918 calories so far, with a goal of 1570 per day (to loose the weight I want to), now I had 216 cal for breakfast (Oat So Simple), and 702 for dinner.

I then put in I burn 1086 kj (36 mile ride @ 18mph) That equates to 259 calories, now surely I've burnt off more than that? (Strava calculated the kj, Garmin counted it at 2,000 calories so wrong) What is the rough estimate I have probably burnt?

I thought it was 1086 calories, so I put that in and my net is -168, apparently I need to eat 1738 more, which means I may be under eating? But at the same time not loosing weight.

Even with 256 calories added I've got 908 remaining, and I'd have only ate about a further 600, so am I under eating?
    I would say you absolutely are eating too little. 1570 is incredibly low

Generally start here http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/

Multiply that by your level
    Harris Benedict Formula
    To determine your total daily calorie needs, multiply your BMR by the appropriate activity factor, as follows:

If you are sedentary (little or no exercise) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.2
    If you are lightly active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.375
    If you are moderatetely active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.55
    If you are very active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days a week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.725
    If you are extra active (very hard exercise/sports & physical job or 2x training) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.9
    http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calcu ... weight.php

Take 500 off as a good starting point,this leaves most in the region of 1000cal deficit per day once you count for exercise too