folding versus beaded

2»

Comments

• bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    There's a difference between a typo and a fundamental misunderstanding of basic physics!
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • bails87 wrote:
    There's a difference between a typo and a fundamental misunderstanding of basic physics!

Yawn!....
  • El Zomba
    El Zomba Posts: 164
    bails87 wrote:

Yawn!....

And that, young padawan, is why you shall never learn.
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    From my understanding of wheels, and I'm sure you'll be quick to point out if I'm wrong, but lighter weight wheels are better as they are easier to get up to speed and maintain speed, otherwise why would they use alloy wheels on cars (Carbon wheels on some) or Magnesium wheels on motor bikes if they weren't 'better'...

And when I say 'better', I'm talking about performance benefits, not just aesthetically better...

Not sure whether it was Audi or BMW that were marketing lighter weight wheels as economically better but one of them was...

The way that I read the article, was that aerodynamics and lighter weight wheels benefited performance over heavier etc wheels... Unless it's just late, I'm tired and just want to see what I want to read

In mtbing lighter is not always better depending on aim you have,

For me lighter wheels tend to flex a bit more and therefor are more prone to being deflected on the trail where something beefier with a larger cross section to give a better tyre shape will maintain speed and direction better on a Dh. admitdly this will make them harder work to accelerate,

See it's pro's and cons.
  • El Zomba
    El Zomba Posts: 164
    From my understanding of wheels, and I'm sure you'll be quick to point out if I'm wrong, but lighter weight wheels are better as they are easier to get up to speed and maintain speed, otherwise why would they use alloy wheels on cars (Carbon wheels on some) or Magnesium wheels on motor bikes if they weren't 'better'...

And when I say 'better', I'm talking about performance benefits, not just aesthetically better...

Not sure whether it was Audi or BMW that were marketing lighter weight wheels as economically better but one of them was...

The way that I read the article, was that aerodynamics and lighter weight wheels benefited performance over heavier etc wheels... Unless it's just late, I'm tired and just want to see what I want to read

In mtbing lighter is not always better depending on aim you have,

For me lighter wheels tend to flex a bit more and therefor are more prone to being deflected on the trail where something beefier with a larger cross section to give a better tyre shape will maintain speed and direction better on a Dh. admitdly this will make them harder work to accelerate,

See it's pro's and cons.

Pretty much this. Lighter-built wheels are better for XC-style riding as the reduced weight enables faster acceleration and an easier climb. Plus you wouldn't expect to do an 8ft huck on them. Heavier, stronger wheels suit DH/Freeriding as they require strength to take the knocks over the rougher terrain and jumps. The weight penalty won't really come into effect as gravity assists acceleration, and will only be felt when some silly sausage tries to ride their Kona Stinky uphill for a change. This is not to say that designers aren't trying to find ways to make DH components lighter or XC components more durable. It definately isn't saying that 'heavy=strong', or 'lighter=better'; more that specific conditions require specific concessions.

Rolling resistance is entirely different, as it is the effect of surface friction on acceleration.
  • Interesting to see Nicolas Vouilloz running Mavic Crossmax SLR's for the Mega...
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Weight has nothing to do with the core argument, ROLLING resistance is to do with tread and carcass distortion and the amount of hysterisi in the system, adding weight does not affect rolling resistance in any way shape or form, try rolling down a hill on a bike from a standstill to about 15mph, add 20KG and the bike will accelerate at the same speed (only terminal velocity would be affected).....as the force (weight times gravity) will increase by the same amount as inertia (f=ma), if rolling resistance had changed it would accelerate slower.....

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.