weird wobbly legs on descents

neeb
neeb Posts: 4,467
Does anyone else get this sometimes? I can't work out if it's due to not eating enough, cold, adrenaline (I'm not a good descender..) or a combination of all three.

Let's say I've been pushing really hard up a long hill and go over the top into the descent. First corner, I'm trying to press on the outside pedal, but my leg feels like jelly with a sort of involuntary slight tremble. It's something to do with having to suddenly keep the muscles tensioned without moving them (i.e. switching from concentric to isometric). It can be pretty off-putting.

Comments

• thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    I'm not certain but could it be something to do with build up of lactic acid in your legs during the climb? I think it's best to keep your legs moving on the descent to help get rid of it.
  • Muffintop
    Muffintop Posts: 296
    neeb wrote:
    Does anyone else get this sometimes? I can't work out if it's due to not eating enough, cold, adrenaline (I'm not a good descender..) or a combination of all three.

Let's say I've been pushing really hard up a long hill and go over the top into the descent. First corner, I'm trying to press on the outside pedal, but my leg feels like jelly with a sort of involuntary slight tremble. It's something to do with having to suddenly keep the muscles tensioned without moving them (i.e. switching from concentric to isometric). It can be pretty off-putting.

Is your bike seat a wee bit high? Are you able to push down firmly on the pedal? Are your cleats too far forward on the ball of your foot and you're standing on your toes?

I get this a little, but I find still pedaling as I go down helps with the shake. Also I adjusted my seat (I'm talking a tiny wee bit down) helped as well. If you're tense going down the hill that could translate to your legs also, try holding your tongue between your front teeth - if you're tense you'll feel it.

Mx
    FCN: Brompton: 12, Tourer: 7, Racer: 4

http://www.60milestonod.blogspot.com
  • neeb
    No problems pushing down firmly on the pedals, although, yes, perhaps slightly lower would translate to a slightly flatter-footed push.

I'm going for the combination theory - lactic acid plus cold plus perhaps not being optimally topped up on carbs plus being slightly tense...
  • daxplusplus
    daxplusplus Posts: 631
    Sounds like "Elvis Leg" .. you can get in rock climbing too.
    Sometimes you're the hammer, sometimes you're the nail

strava profile
  • neeb
    Sounds like "Elvis Leg" .. you can get in rock climbing too.
    That'll be it...

Found a thread about it on a different forum..
    http://www.bikeforums.net/archive/index ... 29483.html

Sounds like electrolytes / carbs may be a an issue.
  • daxplusplus
    daxplusplus Posts: 631
    When I get it in rock climbing the key to stopping it once it's started is to try and relax the muscles in your leg .. push down with the heel a little rather than continue standing on your toes and ball of your foot.
    Sometimes you're the hammer, sometimes you're the nail

strava profile