Sick Priorities

13»

Comments

• Surprised that no one has mentioned that soldiers choose to join up.

But also worth considering that many who 'choose' to do so come from deprived areas, have limited education and as a consequence little in the way of employment opportunities. There is also the element of tradition; often new generations of a family follow their parent's 'trade' - again true in certain segments of society. It's why places like Glasgow and Liverpool have long been fertile recruiting grounds for the Infantry, for example.

Agree but to a degree the 'benefit culture' sees people no longer have to make the choice of army or starve to death in a carboard box under the railway arches and, tradition or not, the dangers of millitary conflict are well known and have been for a very long time.
    An awful lot of these guys were primary school age when Iraq & Afghanistan kicked off, they've been seeing soldiers coming home in bits or boxes for years and have still made the choice (for whatever reasons) to sign the papers and take their chances. All the more heroic in my book cos I know I wouldn't, but it is informed consent. Assumedly nowadays one of the questions any half bright kid would ask is 'what happens if....'

phone hacking is unwarranted and unlawful intrusion into someones life - no consent sought or granted, the law is there (as you've often argued in the past Spen) and sets its own tarriffs, if the civil law on a realtively trivial invasion of personal space (Milly Dowler's deleted messages aside) is so lax that it makes sense to a company to voluntarily divvy up over half a million quid to an upset family in Wales, then fundamentally it is the law that is at fault not the culture of celebrity.

Also as other have said, the CC and Dowlers and uncle tom cobley celeb and all payouts are in effect private transactions between individuals and organisations responsible only to their shareholders, they have nothing to do with court and nothing to do with the government and its responsibility to us as taxpayers.

Its obscene, but no more so than Spen's beloved NUFC players being paid as much every single week in a week as 3 or more nurses get in a year. different organisations have different levels of spending power, simple economics and nothing to do with fairness or moral justice.

If you want to stop Celebs getting stupid payouts from news Int'l, organise a global boycott of their services and products, cancel your sky subscription, strangle Murdoch's cashflow until he owns a bankrupt company with no assets to willingly agree to pay 6 and 7 figure hush money sums.
    Anyone with a buy into the News Int'l/Sky empire and anyone that seeks to minimise their tax bill is just a little bit guilty for this sick disparity. (I feel like I should be yelling 'Freedom for Tooting' now)
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,336
    I'd be more concerned about a similar comparision on sentences for different crimes.

How would the £600k have been calculated?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    I'd be more concerned about a similar comparision on sentences for different crimes.

I heard, (can't remember where) it was £300k legal fees, and the rest into her pocket to keep her and them out of court.
  • I'd be more concerned about a similar comparision on sentences for different crimes.

I heard, (can't remember where) it was £300k legal fees, and the rest into her pocket to keep her and them out of court.

I think, 300K to fees, 150K to her, 150K to her parents.
  • Give some credit to your daughter's bf. He probably knows call of duty is not really like the real thing!
    You'd be surprised at how inappropriately enthusiastic some of the lads joining the RAF Regiment are about "going overseas"......
    "Get a bicycle. You won't regret it if you live"
    Mark Twain
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    You'd be surprised at how inappropriately enthusiastic some of the lads joining the RAF Regiment are about "going overseas"......

Agreed Rock Apes shouldn't get hard ons about going to Cyprus - its just embaressing - That's what you mean yes?

Wanting to go should surely be a good thing when sending men to war - or would you prefer unenthusiastic soldiery?
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?