Sick Priorities

spen666
spen666 Posts: 17,709
edited February 2012 in Commuting chat
Charlotte Church gets £600,000 Max Clifford £1m etc for having someone listen to their phone calls

Soldiers losing limbs fighting for their country or victims of road accidents suffering similar injuries will be lucky to get £100,000 in compensation

My thoughts on it are as the title of this post says and are expanded on in my blog. http://www.spen666.wordpress.com

Its a sick sense of priorities we have in this country.
Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666

Comments

• EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Ah, but Charlotte Church won't be able to enter the Paralympics, will she? So she's not a gold medal prospect and thus, a potential national hero. The money is to compensate her for that.

You're right. I was just making a (sick) joke. Some things (such as compensation amounts) just make no sense to me.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Spen, this is one thing that if you made an e-campaign or a Government HoC e-petition I would wholeheartedly support.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Finally.
    A state of the Nation thread that everyone may agree on.

Blindingly obvious and bleeding annoying! :evil:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    Soldiers losing limbs fighting for their country or victims of road accidents suffering similar injuries will be lucky to get £100,000 in compensation

One aspect of the Help for Heroes thing that gets up my nose is how the politicians have jumped on the back of the charity's fantastic work. The charity wouldnt need to exist if the government looked after its injured troops properly. Same with the Royal British Legion.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,362
    What have the two figures got to do with each other other than the word compensation? Not comparing apples with apples. The Church case was an out of court settlement with News International, and it was only £300,000 damages - presumably the rest being towards legal costs. The amount of money will be largely based on commercial priorities - the cost to NI of a full court case (it was reported that they were using a team of 25 lawyers for the Church case) and the associated negative publicity would presumably cost NI far more. This is quite different from injury compensation; if you were comparing military injury to, say, an injury sustained in a tube accident, then you might be on to something.

Furthermore, in the Church case, the party paying the compensation is a large multinational - the claim needs to 'hurt' in order for it to have some deterrent effect. What are you suggesting with military compensation? That a team of lawyers be sent to Afghanistan to recover the costs from the Taliban insurgent who made the IED. As the government is footing the bill, the amount of compensation is necessarily limited.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Nah, RJS, they're totally the same. BROKEN BRITAIN.
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    Exactly one is paid for by a multinational corporation, the other comes out of your taxes. Its apples and pears.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Spen, this is one thing that if you made an e-campaign or a Government HoC e-petition I would wholeheartedly support.

+100000000000
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    mudcow007 wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

+100000000000

What would the campaign be for?
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    mudcow007 wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

+100000000000

What would the campaign be for?

Basically it would be a facebook page to make the government more aware of the sickerer priorities in the UK
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    dhope wrote:

Basically it would be a facebook page to make the government more aware of the sickerer priorities in the UK

This has just induced a coffee-nose-keyboard incident!!!

I must say that I am on the apples and oranges side of this - there is no meaningful campaign/petition that can be made on this, as there is no valid comparison.......
  • daviesee
    daviesee wrote:
    Finally.
    A state of the Nation thread that everyone may agree on.

Guess I was wrong :roll:
    spen666 wrote:
    Charlotte Church gets £600,000 Max Clifford £1m etc for having someone listen to their phone calls
    Okay, it may be apples and oranges but how hurt have these people been? Diddums. Crazy.
    If you want to hurt the multinational - fine them and put the money to charity.
    For the handicapped possibly?
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Spam?
  • rick_chasey
    NOTW didn't have to pay her that much anyway.

It was an out of court settlement. May have been much less had it gone through court.

NOTW probably figured the damage having the case being dragged through court was bigger than £600,000....
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    daviesee wrote:
    Okay, it may be apples and oranges but how hurt have these people been? Diddums. Crazy.
    And the McCanns? Or do we assume that the McCanns were hurt by the phone tapping but CC wasn't? What's the measure of celebrity?
    Another 'state of the nation' moan is this assumption that because someone is rich or famous then it's okay to dismiss sleights against them with crys of "Oh, poor little rich boy/girl, can they not afford to buy their nth Ferrari this year?". In CC's case she's a celebrity because she sings well and has done since she was too young to understand what a celebrity is. Then she met a famous boy but it didn't work out. Tabloid fodder by circumstance but "aw diddums?", really?

If only it were all so simple.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,362
    dhope wrote:
    daviesee wrote:
    And the McCanns? Or do we assume that the McCanns were hurt by the phone tapping but CC wasn't? What's the measure of celebrity?
    Another 'state of the nation' moan is this assumption that because someone is rich or famous then it's okay to dismiss sleights against them with crys of "Oh, poor little rich boy/girl, can they not afford to buy their nth Ferrari this year?". In CC's case she's a celebrity because she sings well and has done since she was too young to understand what a celebrity is. Then she met a famous boy but it didn't work out. Tabloid fodder by circumstance but "aw diddums?", really?

And in CC's case, a large part of their claim against NI was the intrusion into her parents' lives.

BTW, are all spen's blog posts going to be trailed on BR?
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • daviesee
    dhope wrote:
    daviesee wrote:

Illegal phone tapping, false allegations, slurs and defamation of character. All should be punished.
    Hurt feelings. Diddums.
    Hey. It's my opinion but it's only an opinion.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Yep, wasn't it due to the dragging up of her mother's medical history, use of it to bully her into revealing info about CC etc?

I fyou join the army you expect to be sent to fight. If you're sent to fight a war you expect people to try to fight back, therefore being blown up is an expected occupational hazard for a frontline soldier.

Being harrassed, having your relative's confidential medical history used against you and being illegally spied on and 'hacked' is not an expected occupational hazard for someone who's good at singing.

I suspect spen knows all this already and is just trying to start one of those threads where everyone argues with everyone, including themselves :wink:
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • notsoblue
    I think the real crime here is that soldiers are being paid LESS than most of us here! They're FIGHTING for our COUNTRY! When was the last time any of us was shot at?! What kind of sick sick nation do we live in that pays good honest brave soldiers who put their lives on the line for the crown less than some civil servant sat at a desk all day?

I'm glad someone (spen666) has had the guts to bring this taboo subject to everyone's attention.

BROKEN BRITAIN.

Can you talk about how high footballer's salaries are next, Spen?
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    That is soooooooo true NSB. They are fighting for us and they are heroes.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    notsoblue wrote:
    I think the real crime here is that soldiers are being paid LESS than most of us here! They're FIGHTING for our COUNTRY! When was the last time any of us was shot at?! What kind of sick sick nation do we live in that pays good honest brave soldiers who put their lives on the line for the crown less than some civil servant sat at a desk all day?

I'm glad someone (spen666) has had the guts to bring this taboo subject to everyone's attention.

BROKEN BRITAIN.

No, it should be lawyers I think... after all 1/2 CC's payout was costs...
  • notsoblue
    lyk dis if u cri evry time
  • notsoblue
    bompington wrote:
    notsoblue wrote:

BROKEN BRITAIN.

No, it should be lawyers I think... after all 1/2 CC's payout was costs...
    And *then* the footballers right?
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    Yes, makin' mock o' uniforms that guard you while you sleep
    Is cheaper than them uniforms, an' they're starvation cheap;

They go where they are sent.
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • bails87
    notsoblue wrote:
    lyk dis if u cri evry time
    SPORT ARE TROUPES!
    MTB/CX

• daviesee
    bails87 wrote:
    Being harrassed, having your relative's confidential medical history used against you and being illegally spied on and 'hacked' is not an expected occupational hazard for someone who's good at singing.
    And you are missing the point.
    All of the above are illegal and should be punished.
    Compensation for hurt feelings is a linked but seperate issue. :roll:
  • rick_chasey
    daviesee wrote:
    bails87 wrote:

Eh?

They settled out of court.
  • notsoblue
    daviesee wrote:
    bails87 wrote:

Eh?

They settled out of court.
    Sounds like someone doesn't support our troops...

ಠ_ಠ
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    The point Spen is making is this.

(1) Person A has their privacy invaded is hurt (emotionally).

(2) Person B has their life physically limited/ruined temporarily or permanently and suffers hurt (emotional and physical).

(3) Person A is a celebrity and brings with them publcity and is paid £600,000 (one would argue that the amount paid out was down for publicity reasons on News Corps part, it looks good, they are saying sorry).

(4) Person B is not a celebrity but while is, without question, the far worse off victim is paid £100,000.

The point is the disparity in what we consider justice and recompense for those that have suffered. Yes Charlotte Chruch and her family have suffered. £600k worth of suffering? Compared to £100k for a person who will likely suffer for the rest of their life?

The point falls down because Milly Dowler family were said to have been offered a £2mil settlement.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • bails87
    News Int chose to pay that much. They didn't have to. They weren't ordered to by a court.

I trust everyone who thinks that CC didn't deserve the money will be forefeiting a portion of their wages to make sure they never earn more than an 18 year old squaddie?
    MTB/CX