how many of you use strava?

2»

Comments

• Only loaded up one ride so far, sadly am addicted already. At least it will get me off bloody Facebook. Am looking forward to having a go at Long Mountain tomorrow to see where I'll end up in the standings. No doubt I will be severely disappointed!
  • lochindaal
    lochindaal Posts: 475
    Just signed up and found I am 11th on the Arthurs Seat climb in Edinburgh. Now I need to get out and have another go for a top 10 place :D
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Just signed up and uploaded a ride for yesterday from a recce of the Spring Fling and got a KOM!

I created a new segment for a particular climb
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • I have a few KOM's like that!
    Twitter: @FunkyMrMagic
  • I have a few KOM's like that!

Me too. Or rather I did, because after a couple of hours, it picks up previous efforts over the new segment and adds them in. Very short lived glory. In my case at least.
  • Trickyh
    Trickyh Posts: 50
    Had a mail from Ride with GPS http://ridewithgps.com this morning to say that they are also adding segments to their s/w...

Looks like they're all getting in on it :D
  • Yoe
    Yoe Posts: 14
    I was using Runkeeper to, but I love Strava now. It's auto-pause thing is brilliant and rankings are awesome.

I'm currently adding segments to my hometown as not enough users around here yet. The only thing I don't like it the GPS went a bit off when I went inside and forgot to turn it off and there website doesn't let me edit out anything in the middle of the ride
  • Mike39496
    Mike39496 Posts: 414
    Had a guy ride exactly the same segment as me yesterday and I beat him on it (he did a 50 miler, I did 10 :wink: ).

Mind you i've never done a 10 miler before.
  • carl_p
    carl_p Posts: 989
    A few pages devoted to it in this week's Cycling Weekly.
    Specialized Venge S Works
    Cannondale Synapse
    Enigma Etape
    Genesis Flyer Single Speed

Turn the corner, rub my eyes and hope the world will last...
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    Carl_P wrote:
    A few pages devoted to it in this week's Cycling Weekly.

Anything about the 180km Sportive Jackie from Somerset completed in 12 hours?
  • griffsters
    griffsters Posts: 490
    Its great but reminds me of how slow i am! I noticed that Ride with GPS have now also started their own segments feature - reminds me of a saying, let me think..something about a barn door and horse bolting.
  • Garryboy
    Garryboy Posts: 344
    Yes, use it and love it.

My 30 mile loop has two segments first is a climb second is a fast section.

Got my best time ever this morning on the climb (although still 5th overall)!

Tried to be smart on the fast section by going up the road a bit so I would get a 'flying' start. Stupidly stopped the timer on my garmin and forgot to restart - didnt notice till 3 miles into the segment! Serves me right I guess!

Anything that keeps you motivated has got to be a good thing right?
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    someone should make a bikeradar road section group/club?

then we can all secretly judge each other based on KOM rankings.
  • Does anyone know what conditions are required to classify a hill as 4,3,2,1,hc?? ie is the length irrelevant( i realise i'm fuelling double entendre replies!) or is it based on the average gradient? I've ridden some(small) hills that I think are tough but are not categorised and others that are easier but class 4.
    Cheers.
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    Started using it on 1st Jan, which seemed like a good time. Very good in my opinion. I really just want to log my total time and see how my averages compare etc to keep a check on progress. However, when you know a local climb has a segment you just can't help yourself!

I have quite sadly taken a mental note of the KoM average speed on a climb before venturing out and it has been quite a motivation when I hit the climb! Bagged several so far, but I doubt I will last as it grows in popularity. It is great to have a pro lower down the ratings on a climb....I don't admit to myself that he was just pootling on a training ride keeping his heart rate low whilst my balls out effort put me 20 seconds in front of him! :D oh yes, I could have been......

I currently use it with my iPhone, which is fine on shorter rides, but when I did the club reliability 100 miler a few weeks ago (which ended up as 110miles due to works/ ice) my battery ran flat after 105 miles.....the ride was however saved up to that point and loaded up once I plugged the charger in back home, bit frustrating non the less. That was a 6:59 moving time from fully charged, so for longer rides I either need to drop the group :wink: or get a dedicated gps like an -800.

PP
  • Garryboy
    Garryboy Posts: 344
    Does anyone know what conditions are required to classify a hill as 4,3,2,1,hc?? ie is the length irrelevant( i realise i'm fuelling double entendre replies!) or is it based on the average gradient? I've ridden some(small) hills that I think are tough but are not categorised and others that are easier but class 4.
    Cheers.

https://strava.zendesk.com/entries/2042 ... -for-rides
  • Mike67
    Mike67 Posts: 585
    Does anyone know what conditions are required to classify a hill as 4,3,2,1,hc?? ie is the length irrelevant( i realise i'm fuelling double entendre replies!) or is it based on the average gradient? I've ridden some(small) hills that I think are tough but are not categorised and others that are easier but class 4.
    Cheers.

I've posted this elsewhere but copied here from the Strava site:
    "If your elevation gain between two measurements is more than 3% we will flag a start of a climb. The climb will continue as long as your average grade is greater then 3%.

So, the basic criteria for a climb is avg grade of 3% or more.
    For Categorized climbs 1-4:

% Grade multiplied by distance in meters > 8000 to be at least a cat 4 climb. So, for a 4% avg grade climb, it has to be 2km at least to be categorized.

Cat 3 = 16000, 2 = 3200, 1 = 64000, HC > 80000"

I think cat 2 should be 32000. You can of course create your own segments/climbs that fall outside the above criteria.

As for KOMs. I'm currently ahead of probably the fastest (TT) rider in our club on one climb. Not fooling myself though as his heartrate was at least 40BPM below mine and he did it 2 years ago (pre Strava I guess). Feels good though :D
    Mike B

Cannondale CAAD9
    Kinesis Pro 5 cross bike
    Lots of bits
  • Thanks for the replies. Didn't see that on the Strava site :oops:
  • anto164
    anto164 Posts: 3,500
    I use it, and i tend to ignore the segment side of things.

It's actually a really really good training log, easier to navigate than the Garmin website, and totals things up which is nice.
  • I've started using it recently and find it's a good motivator for challenging some of the guys I know for segments along our usual weekend routes.

I find it sometimes gives strange readings on meters climbed overall.

My main site for logging data is Garmin, but love strava for the social element with mates.

PS. I compared a climb I did recently with Taylor Phinney - I best not give up the day job! :oops:
  • I use it now more than garmin connect, I've got a few decent Kom's but I dont bother chasing any.
    Not as good as garmin connect for checking TT data, but Its interesting to see the segments on the bigger TT courses
    Made a segment of yesterdays club TT (Im in 1st place! and the only one on it :( ) lol
    10 mile TT pb - 20:56 R10/17
    25 - 53:07 R25/7
    Now using strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/155152