how many of you use strava?

ianbar
ianbar Posts: 1,354
edited March 2012 in Road beginners
i have just had my first proper look at the site, i normally use map my ride and the garmin site but at first glance i love the look of it! especially the climb leader boards. does everyone else use it? i have been looking at how i can upload all my training off the other sites i use to strava if possible so anyone who can help with that would be good too.i have a mac. cheers
enigma esprit
cannondale caad8 tiagra 2012

Comments

• ianbar
    got my training i have on my farming downloaded, unfortunately the site seems to be having trouble running so can't explore as much as i would like right now :-(
    enigma esprit
  • pipipi
    pipipi Posts: 332
    There have been a few posts on strava recently, so there should be plenty of people beginning to use it.

I previously used runkeeper which was good for total ride. But I LOVE the way strava lets you look at segments of your total ride. Very addictive!
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,662
    I'm perfectly happy with my Mark Cavendish/Bradey Wiggins delusion thank you very much...

;)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • ianbar
    it looks ace very happy to see i was 9th up a local climb lol as i say can't get on right now so can't explore properly, will try and download iPhone app at work and play around more then!
    enigma esprit
  • cwm
    cwm Posts: 177
    i started using strava a couple of weeks ago after i bought a holux gps,
    its nice to see how slow i really am :roll:
    but theres always a smile under my grimmace :)
    link in sig. below
    now sharing my plods on
    http://www.strava.com/athletes/cwm
  • Me as well. I'm actually KOM on 2 segments mainly because no one else has actually ridden up them! All good fun though. But I take the power and calorie calculations with a pinch of salt...
  • Another fan here although yet to start challenging some of those segments!
  • t5nel
    t5nel Posts: 365
    Yep been using for a month or two. For me the differentiator is the segment creation, compariosn with other riders and the power estimates.

Plus I am KOM on the segment nearest my house (OK so it is not a busy segment but I don't tell everyone that!)

Tim
    My bikes
    MTB - 1997 Kona Kula
    Hybrid - Kona Dew Deluxe
    Road - 2011 Ribble Gran Fondo, Omega Matrix Ultegra
  • nickel
    nickel Posts: 476
    Loving strava, been trying to collect all the KOMs for the hills round my town in Somerset as no one seems to ride all that much round here and they're ripe for the taking :P The segment feature is very addictive though! Quick question, does anyone notice a discrepency between the average speed displayed by your garmin at the end of a ride and when you upload it to strava? For some reason once uploaded all my rides are 0.2mph slower than what was showing on my garmin at the end of the ride, not a major issue just a bit annoying.
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    Yes, and for the commute too. There's a whole, growing thread on it in Commuting Chat. The disappointing thing is that there are 3 of the fastest guys in my club who use it and who've owned pretty much every Strava segment I ride :(
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Rob - sounds like you need to take off your dress, cancel your pedicure, grow yourself a handbar moustache and harden the F up. We were all on stabilisers once.....
  • Nickel wrote:
    Loving strava, been trying to collect all the KOMs for the hills round my town in Somerset as no one seems to ride all that much round here and they're ripe for the taking :P The segment feature is very addictive though! Quick question, does anyone notice a discrepency between the average speed displayed by your garmin at the end of a ride and when you upload it to strava? For some reason once uploaded all my rides are 0.2mph slower than what was showing on my garmin at the end of the ride, not a major issue just a bit annoying.
    Strava counts your stopped time along with your moving time which is why it seems slower than your garmin, just one of a number of annoying things that occurs on it, it has got a good forum where you can discuss problems though, so this will probably get fixed in the future, top speeds are usually a bit down compared with garmin readings as well.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,662
    Well that's fair enough! Otherwise one could sprint 100m, rest for 5 mins then repeat over the whole segment, it would nt be fair otherwise!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • I use it daily and find it much better than other apps such as Mapmyride. Power consumption is much lower as well as the ability to set segments and compare yourself to other cyclists over the same route. The fact it does allow for stationary time (even if it may not be 100% accurate) is an added bonus over the likes of MMR or Endomondo
    Allez Triple (hairy with mudguards) - FCN 4
    Ribble Gran Fondo
  • Apologies - double post
    Allez Triple (hairy with mudguards) - FCN 4
    Ribble Gran Fondo
  • Logged on for the first time yesterday having seen this thread. The leaderboard could get a bit addictive. Bang goes my resolution to stop being a slave to the computer :(

Anyone use the premium? Can't see much point TBH

Martin
  • It's absolutely brilliant. Addictive, satisfying, easy to use and fun. Love it
    Canyon AL Ultimate 9.0
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    coriordan wrote:
    Rob - sounds like you need to take off your dress, cancel your pedicure, grow yourself a handbar moustache and harden the F up. We were all on stabilisers once.....
    :D
    When you get my scalp, I'll listen to your noise. Until then, that's all it is :twisted:

See you on Strava.
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • Using it and loving it. Though taking a dislike to that guy who is KOM on all my local segments.
  • pneumatic
    pneumatic Posts: 1,989
    edited February 2012
    Used it once, last Friday, to try it out. Seriously thinking about never using it again.

Reason: there was a whore of a Westerly behind me on the first 10km segment of my usual ride (which also used to be my regular commute so I am very familiar with its bends and contours) and, according to Strava, I did it at a speed I almost certainly have never managed before and equally certainly will never ever manage again. In fact, according to the website, I was exactly twice as fast as the only other guy to ride the segment. :shock:

So, utterly without shame, I shall quit whilst I am ahead. 8)

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations
    Eddingtons: 80 (Metric); 60 (Imperial)

• dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,974
    I love Strava but the only downside I'm finding is that I'm not always riding a very balanced ride. I went out today and did just over 50 miles. There were a few segments I'd ridden before (without knowing it until I'd uploaded the previous ride) which I was going to be going over today. Really I should have just ridden them at a sensible pace but I just had to "have a go" and ended up bettering my times... think I suffered for a bit near the end of the ride though.
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • bus_ter
    bus_ter Posts: 337
    Segments are fun, but are hugely flawed as a way of measuring yourself against others.

If I was in a fast group with a 20mph wind behind me I would bet money that I could smash Bradley Wiggins' (for example) time doing the same segment on his own with a 20mph wind in his face. Doesn't mean I'm a faster rider!
  • I love it and now use it as my main training log. You can't complain at the detail you get for free! It's arguably better than the Garmin site and they are funded by GPS sales.

One thing I have noticed in recent weeks is the increase in popularity, loads of new names are appearing on the local leaderboards with people retrospectively loading times, not necessarily a bad thing as you get a more realistic picture of where you sit in the grand scheme of things, but demoralising at the same time when you were once in 7th place out of fifteen to move to 60th out of 120 - I suppose mid table is always mid table :(

I have noticed a few sportive organisers quoting that they are using strava for riders to compare their times post event which is a good idea in principle but unfortunately falls down if there is a blocked road on the day and riders end up taking differing routes to navigate back on course.

Ultimately anything that encourages you to put down the hammer on the climbs can only be a good thing :wink:
  • agg25
    agg25 Posts: 619
    Just discovered this myself too, sounds like the next big thing, loving all the little challenges now to be found on all the local trails. Just adds a bit more fun and motivation to push yourself a bit harder.
  • Lots of us using Strava in our club.
    It's free, very addictive and is a great way of getting everyone to ride just that little bit harder than they otherwise might have done.
  • ianbar
    didn't think id get such a big response! i bettered a couple of my segments yesterday but still bottom of the pile! :-( but it gives me something to aim at. loving it...might have to have browse on it now!!
    enigma esprit
  • I think Strava might overtake Wiggle in the "it's their fault" stakes.

Yesterday I planned my route home from work, not by distance, not by effort, but by Strava segment. I noticed that someone from our club had created a flat segment just a couple of miles from work, 1.5 miles long, between two roundabouts on a fast section of road. I'd (unknowingly) ridden it before, averaging just over 20mph. Being the over-competitive swine that I am, I went out to have a crack at the title...

I went out far too fast - I was blowing 30 seconds in and should seriously have known better. I remember hitting 30mph for a few, brief, seconds before being overwhelmed by lack of oxygen and a desire to hurl. I finished the segment at a more sedate pace. I managed to move myself up to 3rd, 1 second off 2nd place. The irony being that the other people probably set their times 50-some miles into a ride, whereas I did mine fresh and with intent. The rest of my ride home was significantly slower though!
    Twitter: @FunkyMrMagic
  • I'm on it and loving it - but having looked at my local segments, I now have a 'strava nemesis' who seems to be top of every leaderboard going and is obviously laughing at my lack of prowess...
  • peejay78
    peejay78 Posts: 3,378
    strava shows more clearly than anything else that there is always a bigger gorilla. in and around bristol we have danny axford, james dobbin, tom southam, and a few pro mountain bikers who have hit up quite a few of the segments.

then there's always the day when someone smashes it with a 25mph tailwind.

the best benefit i find is for my own training as a mile logger, because i don't tend to do it otherwise.

anyway, i've bagged a few segments on my winter hack, so am optimistic that if i get the posh bike out and actually have a proper dig i might be able to bag a few more.