Any tips on running for a fat lad?

Dan Ingram
Dan Ingram Posts: 79
Bit of an odd question for a cycling forum I know.

I started riding my bike last spring with the aim of getting fit and losing weight (started at 114kg). I was riding 60-80 km in the evenings during the week and then a 70-100km ride on a Sunday. Average speed is now up to 25 kmh. I got down to 103kg just before Christmas but then the weight loss has levelled off since then. Probably down to eating to much over Christmas and doing less miles due to the weather.

I thought I'd try running a couple of nights a week while I'm not riding my bike and I'm on the field walking the dog anyway. The idea was it would help improve my fitness faster and help with the weight loss ready for the better weather. I haven't run any sort of distance since cross country (which I was terrible at) in school 15 years ago.

I'm really struggling to run at all. I can run for a couple of minutes then I feel completely wrecked so walk for a couple of minutes then I can run again for another couple of minutes. I can do that a few times and then I just feel terrible. I find it very difficult to relax my upper body, probably because I'm tensing to stop my gut wobbling about :lol:

Am I expecting to much? I was sort of thinking I'd be able to do a couple of laps of the field and not feel to bad because I've upped my fitness on the bike. Is it worth carrying on as I am and hoping for some improvement or should I just give it up as a bad job and stick to the bike :lol: ?
2011 Specialized Camber Pro
2012 Specialized Roubaix Elite

Comments

• t.m.h.n.e.t
    t.m.h.n.e.t Posts: 2,265
    Its worth persevering,running and cycling use different primary muscle groups so bike fitness doesnt directly become runfit.

Just take it easy and increase distance slowly
  • Zoomer37
    Zoomer37 Posts: 725
    Can't you just use that time to get on the bike instead?

Better to keep topping up your cycling fitness and work harder on the nutrition side of things.
  • I can't get out on the bike every night. Its much easier to nip out for 30 mins for a run while I'm out walking the dog anyway. I'd love to be able to get out on the bike for an hour every night but its just not possible.
  • cyco2
    cyco2 Posts: 593
    Running for you is a not a good idea because of your size. Better to get in to a good walking habit and build up the hours doing that. The dog would love it. You really need to work at a weight loss diet as well because that would work more quickly than exercise would. Then as you lose weight you will enjoy the exercise more. Good luck.
    ...................................................................................................

If you want to be a strong rider you have to do strong things.
    However if you train like a cart horse you'll race like one.
  • The dog gets a walk every night and a good walk at the weekend. I've changed my diet massively over the last 12 months which has definitely helped. What I find the most difficult is eating enough to not feel completely crap on the bike but not eating so much that I'm putting more in than I'm burning off.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Check out the forums on runners world.
    Run walk is a great way to start off and you can even use it to race a sub 3 marathon do it can be pretty efficient.
    Consistency is the key.
    Good luck !
  • Carry on as you have been! Walk briskly to warm up then run/walk. Dn't worry about how fast you jog/run. Good jogging shoes. Listen to your body - especially joints/knees. Reckon on it taking a few weeks to be able run 20 minutes without a break, then if you want you can increase distance/time - but by then it should be cycling weather again! Good luck
  • Ok thanks for that. I'll carry on as I am. I'm just going to do it a couple of nights a week and see how I get on :)
  • OwenB
    OwenB Posts: 606
    I've followed this program to get me running and it'll fit into your timescales, I'm 19 stone and did this plan at a heavier weight too so it's doable. I'd suggest getting your gait analysed in a running shop and get some shoes appropriate for your gait/weight or you could pick up niggly injuries that'll affect your running and your cycling.

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/racing/six-week-beginner-5k-schedule/67.html
  • Search for 'Couch to 5K Plans' or 'C25K' on the internet

It is a nine week plan which takes you from no running ability up to 5k, in a gentle, structured fashion, hopefully minimising any risk of injury
  • Excellent thanks for those. I'll take a look :)