So I've Just Seen 'In Bruges'...

2»

Comments

• APIII
    APIII Posts: 2,010
    TheStone wrote:
    Great movie.

Really nice town, if a little quiet.
    Gent is more lively. Most underrated city in Europe.

All easy to get to, ferry or eurostar, and usually a cheap weekend (relative to other places in the UK or Europe)
    +1
    Bruges is nice but Gent is a lot more fun I reckon. Saying that I'm off to Bruges again for Flanders this year
  • DrKJM
    DrKJM Posts: 271
    afx237vi wrote:
    DrKJM wrote:
    In Bruges is, as many have said, a fantastic film and whilst I've never been to Bruges the film did make me think it was worth a visit. To hijack the thread a little, I watched Into the Wild last night - a Sean Penn directed film based on a true story the book about which was written by the climber Jon Krakauer. This was the best film i've seen in a very long time and whilst it's not at all similar to In Bruges I'd say that if you like different, edgy maybe, films then it's well worth a look. Are there any other films you'd recommend that maybe would appeal to the same audience?

Have you seen the Herzog documentary Grizzly Man? Covers the same sort of territory as Into the Wild.
    Have it on DVD. Richard Thompson, who did the soundtrack, is my all time guitar hero. I was out hillwalking with friends today and we had a discussion about this. Both the protagonists seem to have beem damaged individuals but their stories are inspiring.
  • great film and a great place.

im from hull and cycle to brugge a lot.
    p and o ferries do a mini cruise to zebrugge so i take the bike and head off to brugge (about 10k)

have a look at http://www.bobs-bikes.co.uk/news/index_3.html there is some pics and stuff on it from my journeys out.

at the minute its £79 for two people midweek!
  • "YOU'RE A FUCKING INANIMATE OBJECT" has become a popular insult between me and my mates, as well as "one gay beer for my gay friend" every time someone asks for a ridiculous beer to be bought for them (happens rarely, but we'd say it in the bar I worked at after people would ask for Stella in a "non-gay glass", in earshot).
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • DrKJM wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:
    DrKJM wrote:
    In Bruges is, as many have said, a fantastic film and whilst I've never been to Bruges the film did make me think it was worth a visit. To hijack the thread a little, I watched Into the Wild last night - a Sean Penn directed film based on a true story the book about which was written by the climber Jon Krakauer. This was the best film i've seen in a very long time and whilst it's not at all similar to In Bruges I'd say that if you like different, edgy maybe, films then it's well worth a look. Are there any other films you'd recommend that maybe would appeal to the same audience?

Have you seen the Herzog documentary Grizzly Man? Covers the same sort of territory as Into the Wild.
    Have it on DVD. Richard Thompson, who did the soundtrack, is my all time guitar hero. I was out hillwalking with friends today and we had a discussion about this. Both the protagonists seem to have beem damaged individuals but their stories are inspiring.

I must admit Into the Wild disappointed me a fair bit when I saw it in the cinema. Maybe I need to watch it again.
  • not seen the film, but love the place, prefer it to ghent, perfect place to go for a coffee ride on a non race day when over there
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    DrKJM wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:
    DrKJM wrote:

...Both the protagonists seem to have beem damaged individuals...
    They certainly were by the end... :-(
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    daviesee wrote:
    Superb film!
    Must have got a lot of cooperation from the city - it plays out as a very good tourist promotion.
    It is a very pretty city as you will well know having seen the film but what is not so obvious is how small and compact it all is. Very easy to see it all just by strolling around. A boat trip round the canals is recommended but go early to get on the first trips and avoid the mahoosive queues.
    The downside is that you have already seen it all - mostly.
    What you will get by visiting is the relaxed chilled out ambiance. Beer induced? :wink:

One of my favourite long weekend destinations. :P
    Surprisingly enough, I would recommend that you take a bike! Brugge is one of our favourite family destinations, it's handy for the ferry at Zeebrugge and (the big revelation to us) was surprisingly child-friendly, inasmuch as our kids, aged 8 & 6 the first time we went, actually enjoyed doing the whole city break thing. (not the beer obviously, they had to wait for the next trip, aged 10 & 8, before they got any of that ;-))
    Eating out in Damme (quaint village a few miles along the canal) and racing a thunderstorm back to the campsite, the whole family drafting me at 20+mph along the cycle path, has become family legend.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    bompington wrote:
    Surprisingly enough, I would recommend that you take a bike!
    Quite.
    I was there for a romantic anniversary weekend though so bike rides were out of the question. :wink:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,163
    Lovely city but unfortunately we only had a few hours on Saturday evening and some more on Sunday morning to appreciate it and have been meaning to go back for the last 10 years! I've only seen parts of the film and need to watch it in full.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    It's like being in a fairytale.
  • Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    It's like being in a fairytale.

Could you just confirm whether you're referring to Bruges or inside your head.
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • Bruges is awesome- caught the start of Flanders there last year.

If anyone ever goes, go to Cambrinus just off the main square- the beer menu is as thick as a bible.
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    Went there on the eurostar a couple of years ago. Great place for a weekend. It's good for a beery trip but it's just as decent if you've got a family to take.

Cycle hire there is cheap and it's really handy to nip around on a bike.
  • your right, it's a great film! Have also been to Bruge about a month ago. A lovely City, well worth a 2 day visit!!!
  • neilo23
    neilo23 Posts: 783
    I was really, really disappointed with the film (am I allowed to say that?). I'm a bit of a film buff and was expecting to enjoy it but thought it was crap. Having read all of these comments about how great it is I may just dust off the dvd and give it a second chance... The city looked pretty, though. I almost have a bad conscience for admitting I didn't like it. I feel that I will be thrown to the lions....
  • daviesee
    neilo23 wrote:
    I was really, really disappointed with the film (am I allowed to say that?). I'm a bit of a film buff and was expecting to enjoy it but thought it was crap. Having read all of these comments about how great it is I may just dust off the dvd and give it a second chance... The city looked pretty, though. I almost have a bad conscience for admitting I didn't like it. I feel that I will be thrown to the lions....
    Too high expectations and false perceptions?
    You will possibly enjoy it more second time around going in with low expectations.

Maybe that's why most of us enjoyed it, I had low expectations.

Same applied to Kick-Ass. Not what I expected. At all!
  • neilo23
    neilo23 Posts: 783
    I'll give it another go, definitely. I did have a bit of a personal problem with Colin Farrell at the time...

And Kick Ass was great, far exceeding my expectations.
  • neilo23 wrote:

What? There was a fat guy trying to chase him, it doesn't get any better than that!

Might consider going for 5 days in the summer if I can find a cheap hotel on the outskirts (travelodge/ibis type place), The ferries to Oostende and Zebrugge seem hellishly expensive so I assume Dover-Calais and a drive up the coast is the cheapest way of doing it.
  • daviesee
    Might consider going for 5 days in the summer if I can find a cheap hotel on the outskirts (travelodge/ibis type place), The ferries to Oostende and Zebrugge seem hellishly expensive so I assume Dover-Calais and a drive up the coast is the cheapest way of doing it.
    Foot passenger to Zebrugge?
    You don't need a car.
  • gog555
    gog555 Posts: 63
    Anyone got tips for which bats to visit?
  • eede
    eede Posts: 58
    gog555 wrote:
    Anyone got tips for which bats to visit?

Assume you mean bars, so ’t Brugs Beertje at Kemelstraat 5
    Brugge, Belgium 8000 is worth a start. Big menu of beers.
    Friend of Herne Hill Velodrome: http://www.hernehillvelodrome.com/friends/
  • daviesee wrote:
    You don't need a car.

We've got a baby so we need to lug around travel cots and other stuff, also we'd like to visit a few other places possibly even Amsterdam at a stretch.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    daviesee wrote:
    You don't need a car.

We've got a baby so we need to lug around travel cots and other stuff, also we'd like to visit a few other places possibly even Amsterdam at a stretch.

Ooo where else were you planning to go?
  • ElLawro
    ElLawro Posts: 59
    Top film, great city:--))