So I've Just Seen 'In Bruges'...

LeicesterLad
LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
edited October 2012 in The bottom bracket
..I thought, due to the TV adverts at the time, and the posters made to accompany them, that it was going to be utter shite...

How wrong i was. If you havn't seen it, see it! It's not as you would expect.

Anyway, obviously now i want to plan a trip to Bruges, so this thread is really a 'has anybody been and is it worth a visit'?' thread.

Fire away...

Comments

• Cracking film, seen it many times, still never been to Bruges, will visit the alcoves though.
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    Great film! If you get the DVD there's a short documentary about Bruges (also an hilarious compilation made up soley of the swearing)

Not been.

Girlfriend says she would go, I said the OP looks a bit dubious! :D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    Haven't seen the film yet, but have heard it's good.
    Went to Bruge a few years ago, drank far too much silly Belgian beer, redecorated the bathroom of an underground bar and haven't been back. Fantastic weekend !!!!! :lol:

Great place and the beer is fantastic, the trick is to try not to have the same one twice. Just be careful, what you think is a couple of small beers in the afternoon can leave you a dribbling mess !!!!
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • xscreamsuk wrote:
    Cracking film, seen it many times, still never been to Bruges, will visit the alcoves though.

:lol: You mean the nooks and crannies?
  • xscreamsuk wrote:
    Cracking film, seen it many times, still never been to Bruges, will visit the alcoves though.

:lol: You mean the nooks and crannies?

Exactly!
  • Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    Four years, quite quick for a film to reach Leicester.

It's been mentioned a lot on here as a favourite film. Can't believe some of you haven't seen it.
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • Aggieboy :lol: fair play, i won't deny it, although I'm a deffinate film buff (Proper films and independants, none of this die hard 4 sh*t.)

The Bell tower scene when 'Luke Kelly - Raglan Road' is playing is one of the best pieces of cinema/soundtracking I have seen in a very long time...
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    Wait till you see Star Wars, it'll blow your mind.
  • Wait till you see Star Wars, it'll blow your mind.

Star What? :|
  • tim_wand
    tim_wand Posts: 2,552
    Great film and place, just about the only place Mrs W finds culturally stimulating enough and I enjoy on the lash
    (Prague as well, although the culture bits been hijacked)

If you liked the film I d recommend "The Gaurd" as well and coincidentally enough the West Coast of Ireland around Galway for similiar reasons
  • MattC59
    Aggieboy :lol: fair play, i won't deny it, although I'm a deffinate film buff (Proper films and independants, none of this die hard 4 sh*t.)

The Bell tower scene when 'Luke Kelly - Raglan Road' is playing is one of the best pieces of cinema/soundtracking I have seen in a very long time...

How very dare you !!!!!
  • MattC59 wrote:
    Aggieboy :lol: fair play, i won't deny it, although I'm a deffinate film buff (Proper films and independants, none of this die hard 4 sh*t.)

How very dare you !!!!!

Die Hard wasn't bad...
  • MattC59
    MattC59 wrote:

How very dare you !!!!!

Die Hard wasn't bad...

Actually, I've just seen that you wrote '4', I'll take that back :lol:
    (But not about the first one !!!)
  • MattC59 wrote:
    MattC59 wrote:

How very dare you !!!!!

Die Hard wasn't bad...

Actually, I've just seen that you wrote '4', I'll take that back :lol:
    (But not about the first one !!!)

Die hard 4 only came into my head because my boss was banging on about how good it was today, and to think that i work for this douche... :|
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    I couldn't stand Colin Farrell before I saw In Bruges. Thought he was great in it, a cracking film. Bruges is well worth a visit, the wife and I both love it. She likes the chocolate and I love the beers, especially the Kriek, lovely stuff. I'd give the Chocolate Museum a miss though. Zzzzzzzzz, half an hour of your life you'll never get back!
  • MattC59
    I probably shouldn't be commenting, as I'm a bit of a fan of sh*te 'B' movies. In fact, worse than that, I'm a sucker for rubbish like 'Sharktopus' :lol:
  • I couldn't stand Colin Farrell before I saw In Bruges. Thought he was great in it, a cracking film. Bruges is well worth a visit, the wife and I both love it. She likes the chocolate and I love the beers, especially the Kriek, lovely stuff. I'd give the Chocolate Museum a miss though. Zzzzzzzzz, half an hour of your life you'll never get back!

From what i remember, Cadburys world was sh*t too. Agree about Farrell, he is one of the reasons i hadn't watched it. Read a quote from a reviewer saying something along the lines of 'if you ever wondered how Colin Farrell became famous, then watch in Bruges' which i'd say is about write, shame most of his stuff is complete shite, because from watching this he can obviously act...
  • MattC59 wrote:
    I probably shouldn't be commenting, as I'm a bit of a fan of sh*te 'B' movies. In fact, worse than that, I'm a sucker for rubbish like 'Sharktopus' :lol:

Nothing wrong with liking B movies in an 'i like sh*t B Movies' sort of way, but he likes them in a 'these B movies are genuinely the depth of my intelligence' kind of way.

If you like 'Sharktopus' then there is a company than makes EXTREMELY low budget remakes of other films, if you google 'Alien Versus Beast', 'Snakes On A Train' or 'Transmorfers' you will find them, well worth a watch just for sh*ts and giggles...
  • Wait till you see Star Wars, it'll blow your mind.

Still never seen it, not in a rush either.
  • MattC59
    xscreamsuk wrote:
    Wait till you see Star Wars, it'll blow your mind.

Still never seen it, not in a rush either.

Leave this place now.
  • gog555
    gog555 Posts: 63
    Off to Brugge next weekend! Looking forward to sampling some of the beers.
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 22,084
    gog555 wrote:
    Off to Brugge next weekend! Looking forward to sampling some of the beers.

you are going to have a blast then :)
  • tim wand wrote:
    If you liked the film I d recommend "The Gaurd" as well and coincidentally enough the West Coast of Ireland around Galway for similiar reasons

+1

Dominique McElligott from 'Hell on Wheels' is in it for a few scenes but oh what scenes they are ;-)
  • eede
    eede Posts: 58
    Bruge is only 100 odd K from Dunkirque. Ferry + bike is 15 squids each way from Dover, 2 hour crossing. Straight up the North Sea cycle route then along the Ostende Bruge canal. Suggest you take in Ghent and Ypres while your out that way.

One of Europes finest medieval cities.

Enjoy.
    Friend of Herne Hill Velodrome: http://www.hernehillvelodrome.com/friends/
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    Great movie.

Really nice town, if a little quiet.
    Gent is more lively. Most underrated city in Europe.

All easy to get to, ferry or eurostar, and usually a cheap weekend (relative to other places in the UK or Europe)
    exercise.png
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Superb film!
    Must have got a lot of cooperation from the city - it plays out as a very good tourist promotion.
    It is a very pretty city as you will well know having seen the film but what is not so obvious is how small and compact it all is. Very easy to see it all just by strolling around. A boat trip round the canals is recommended but go early to get on the first trips and avoid the mahoosive queues.
    The downside is that you have already seen it all - mostly.
    What you will get by visiting is the relaxed chilled out ambiance. Beer induced? :wink:

One of my favourite long weekend destinations. :P
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Seconding the recommendation of The Guard.

"He's from the FBI. He hasn't had this much fun since they burned all those kiddies at Waco..."
  • Top film and top city. The last time I went there was this one caf that had draught Tripel Karmeliet, the bestest Belgian strong blond methinks. Nectar of the gods. That alone is reason to go. In addition to the alcoves obviously.
  • DrKJM
    DrKJM Posts: 271
    In Bruges is, as many have said, a fantastic film and whilst I've never been to Bruges the film did make me think it was worth a visit. To hijack the thread a little, I watched Into the Wild last night - a Sean Penn directed film based on a true story the book about which was written by the climber Jon Krakauer. This was the best film i've seen in a very long time and whilst it's not at all similar to In Bruges I'd say that if you like different, edgy maybe, films then it's well worth a look. Are there any other films you'd recommend that maybe would appeal to the same audience?
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    DrKJM wrote:
    In Bruges is, as many have said, a fantastic film and whilst I've never been to Bruges the film did make me think it was worth a visit. To hijack the thread a little, I watched Into the Wild last night - a Sean Penn directed film based on a true story the book about which was written by the climber Jon Krakauer. This was the best film i've seen in a very long time and whilst it's not at all similar to In Bruges I'd say that if you like different, edgy maybe, films then it's well worth a look. Are there any other films you'd recommend that maybe would appeal to the same audience?

Have you seen the Herzog documentary Grizzly Man? Covers the same sort of territory as Into the Wild.