Fuel

Supergoose
Supergoose Posts: 1,089
I realise this has been done before but I was looking for some new ideas.

I've become really lazy when it comes to eating on the bike on longer rides. Apart from the usual energy foods can anyone tell me what they take with them for eats?

Cheers
Rock 'n' Roule

Comments

• Logs. Silverbirch for quick fixes or Cherry for longer rides.
  • SBezza
    SBezza Posts: 2,173
    Just breakfast type bars and the odd chocolate bar. Sometimes malt loaf or the like. Nothing special needed really, just something to help keep glycogen depletion at bay.

Also depends on how long though, shorter rides really don't need anything special, longer rides you might want to have higher calorific value snacks.
  • Herbsman
    Herbsman Posts: 2,029
    I never take enough. 2hrs I take 2 bananas, 3-4hrs 2 bananas and 1-2 flapjacks
    CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!
  • I've always found it really difficult to eat anything solid whilst out on a ride unless I stop so now I make my own energy gels consisting of milk, bananas, maltodextrin mixed in a blender to get a nice consistency.
    Optional extras I sometimes add:- Beta Alanine, Caffeine, Whey protein
  • At what point should you eat in a ride? I generally only ride for 75min to 100min and dont get hungry, I am starving when I get home though. I usually drink about 1.5L of water on the ride.
  • Herbsman
    Herbsman Posts: 2,029
    I eat about halfway through a ride if it's more than 60-90 mins. If it's more than two hours I eat whenever I'm hungry, which is about every hour.
    CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    At the moment I'm taking soreen and jaffa cakes or haribo and just Nunn in my water - that's for rides of 3 hours or so. For longer/more strenuous rides I tend to go with Clif bars and something like Torq mixed into the water.
  • cereal bars, fig rolls for shorter rides, for long ones banana, hot cross buns/jam sandwich on top of the bars
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,706
    Up to 2.5 hours just water. If I'm out for longer then a Tropical Wholefoods/Torq bar is my first choice, otherwise Snickers or a banana.

Cereal bars too cereal-y, and are the sugar makes them a bit sickly. Flapjacks sit a bit heavily if eaten while riding but great afterwards, preferably with a big mug of coffee.

If you're passing a decent cafe (and TBH the best rides usually do) then a nice piece of cake has got to be the best answer.
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • Kellogg's Elevenses are great - cheap, plenty of energy and tasty without being difficult to eat. I only have one if I'm doing more than 2 hours or so, and I sometimes take a baggie with jelly beans just in case.