'Near misses' - do you tell your other half?

2»

Comments

• chuffa
    chuffa Posts: 25
    I dont bother saying owt anymore,i have near misses everyday so am tired of mentioning it,although i do find it a good way of getting rid of my stress at the end of the day shouting abuse at the lousy drivers.
  • if I do yes, but it's very rare for me.
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    Repetition my friend, repetition.

I can tell the same story a million times to different people.

"yes, you are definitely their preferred candidate at this stage...."
  • PBo
    No, she only finds out about only the ones that leave marks or make me need picking up from A&E.

Why, does she examine your chamois?
  • Mrs WBW would be very interested in any accident I might be involved in. She has often stated that she would be the first to write for an ambulance. Immediately after checking my life insurance policy.
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • write for an ambulance
    Not too worried about prompt arrival then?
  • JoeNobody wrote:
    write for an ambulance
    Not too worried about prompt arrival then?

I have a confession. I stole the line from Frank Carson
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    No, she only finds out about only the ones that leave marks or make me need picking up from A&E.

same here
  • pete54
    pete54 Posts: 488
    My partner commutes about three times as far as me by bike every day, so it's more likely to be her telling me about an incident on the way to or from work. She got me into cycling in the first place. I assume that the other contributers to this thread all have non-cycling partners?
  • since spending two days in hopital after coming second in a fight with a VW camper many years ago,I only discuss the nice stuff that happens - watching a heron feeding on the canal etc. - Recently had to think hard about explaining why I had to buy a new jacket within a month of the last one - she thinks its vanity, truth is sliding along and ripping sleeve after been clipped by a car
    FCN = 9 (Tourer) 8 (Mountain Bike)
  • cambs
    cambs Posts: 235
    I agree with the majority here, it's best not to go into details, they'll only worry.

I hesitate to post anything on here too in case some newbies are put off by the number of incidents reported.
  • pete54 wrote:
    My partner commutes about three times as far as me by bike every day, so it's more likely to be her telling me about an incident on the way to or from work. She got me into cycling in the first place. I assume that the other contributers to this thread all have non-cycling partners?

my wife has been commuting to work, for 20 odd years, but it's not a hobby for her. she's never been knocked off etc,

her talent is to do things like not realise one of the park barriers was down and late night only realise as the bar, goes over her arms.

So she grabs hold of the bar, bike rolls forward, and she spin over the bar....

ie silly stuff.
  • PBo

her talent is to do things like not realise one of the park barriers was down and late night only realise as the bar, goes over her arms.

So she grabs hold of the bar, bike rolls forward, and she spin over the bar....

Great trick! Does she land back on the saddle the other side?
  • na in a heap! trying to fend of calls of are you okay?....
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Incidents, then say nothing. Can't really hid stuff like bent bikes/person tough :shock:
  • I always tell my other half if the missus is near.

Oh.
  • No, she only gets annoyed...with me. Like it's my fault. Guess she's only concerned.
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    PBo wrote:

Why, does she examine your chamois?
    Think I need a new keyboard1!
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    Myself and Jake have an unspoken agreement. We don't tell each other about any near misses we have had (given he cycles twice a week through country lanes from Dartmouth to Plymouth, I suspect he's had a few!)

Actual accidents get reported to one another. So far I have had only one phone call from the Navy after he was hit by a car outside HMS Drake and had been taken to hospital. I will confess to laughing when I heard the car which hit him belonged to his First Lieutenant :lol:
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men