Long Travel Full Sus

2»

Comments

• oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    Comes down to the rider really so making the topic a moot point. I know there's stuff I hit on my 160mm enduro that I wouldn't have done on my old 100mm FSR xc.
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    There's pretty much nothing in the uk I wouldn't ride on a hardtail but would on the blur. Id rather ride my blur though, all the time, without exception.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    What has "need" got to do with anything?

This is Jesse Wigman:

050_1.jpg

In this pic, he'd just raced that bike to 7th overall in the No Fuss Endurance Downhill race at Fort William. That meant 12 descents of the world cup route in 6 hours, with all but one taking under 7 minutes.

So no, you don't need a long travel full suss or even a full suss. But you might choose one, because you like it.

I love my long travel full suss... It's incredibly capable yet not boring on simpler trails. Sure, it's harder work than my 24lb hardtail but it's still absolutely fine for XC use. (I raced it that day, though not as well as Jesse did!) Some bigger bikes make a lot of compromises, to be fair- my SX Trail was horrible at anything that wasn't gravity assisted- but modern bikes are fantastic, there's no reason you can't get a 6 inch bouncer that's a great allrounder.

Then again, I've ridden most of the trails at innerleithen on my rigid carrera (I draw the line at the matador drops and the roadgap though!) and I know a guy who used to race SDAs on a rigid. It's all good.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Mojo_666
    Mojo_666 Posts: 860
    Northwind wrote:
    What has "need" got to do with anything?

This ^^ when people are banging on about what you "need" just tell them in all confidence to go do one, cos you will probably find that 95% of what they own they do not "need"
  • Rushmore
    Rushmore Posts: 674
    I've just had this issue with wanting a full susser.. I went for a 120 in the end... As the 140 weights put me off somewhat... But then I will be using this for some Xc racing on the bumpy courses.. But will also be racing enduros on it aswell...
    Always remember.... Wherever you go, there you are.

Ghost AMR 7500 2012
    De Rosa R838