Same old tyre thread

2»

Comments

• notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    bails87 wrote:
    notsoblue wrote:
    Gatorskins are pretty slippery. Had too offs from cornering too fast when it was damp.
    Hmmm...if it's not 'just me' then I might put some 4 seasons on the new wheels I'm going to build....

Nope, we're both spazzes...
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    +1 for GP4000s. Have had two visits in total in 2 years. Touch wood.
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    You gits I've just fitted my Gatorskins but am now panicking about riding as since my shoulder's still recovering from my last off and I really don't want to make it worse.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    +1 for GP4000s. Have had two visits in total in 2 years. Touch wood.

Yeah I've had those on my roadie. Wore them down to the point that the side wall is actually unravelling itself and I still haven't had a puncture. Not sure they can handle London though.
  • +1 for GP4000s. Have had two visits in total in 2 years. Touch wood.

Yeah I've had those on my roadie. Wore them down to the point that the side wall is actually unravelling itself and I still haven't had a puncture. Not sure they can handle London though.

In contrast, as soon as it got wet, I got 2 in a day and 4 in a week on my GP4000s (all glass & "flints"). Gators, on the other hand, I'll feel unlucky to get 2 in a year. I love the GP4000s's but they don't seem to love my particular commute.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Just replaced my Rubino Pros with another pair, the rear had developed a cut all the way through the casing and I punctured twice in a week. The front was fine but I bought a pimped up set with white stripes so I replaced them both to match.

I got 2500 miles out of this set, a little disappointed as I think I got closer to 4000 miles out of the previous pair. However the two punctures I had last week were the first in those 2500 miles so hard to complain. If this set don't last any longer I may look to change. But I think they are a great compromise between puncture protection and speed. I once had a set of Marathon Pluses, never punctured once but god they were heavy and slow.
    <a>road</a>
  • PorlyWorly wrote:
    :( Just ordered this at lunchtime lol http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/TYS ... lding_tyre

You may get on okay with them. I moved from some lightweight racing tyres and really noticed the difference. They were also a total pita to fit, broke three Park Tools levers fitting the pair to my (wide-rimmed) 105 wheels, and it's kinda fortunate they never punctured while out riding as I don't know how I'd have got them back on after replacing the tube. (Yes, I have seen all the videos, the strap trick etc) Ended up buying a tyre jack for use at home but never carried it with me. Perhaps they ease up?
    "Mummy Mummy, when will I grow up?"
    "Don't be silly son, you're a bloke, you'll never grow up"
  • PorlyWorly wrote:
    :( Just ordered this at lunchtime lol http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/TYS ... lding_tyre

You may get on okay with them. I moved from some lightweight racing tyres and really noticed the difference. They were also a total pita to fit, broke three Park Tools levers fitting the pair to my (wide-rimmed) 105 wheels, and it's kinda fortunate they never punctured while out riding as I don't know how I'd have got them back on after replacing the tube. (Yes, I have seen all the videos, the strap trick etc) Ended up buying a tyre jack for use at home but never carried it with me. Perhaps they ease up?

I think it's a combo of rims and knack, when wee wife had new bike from one of the localish bike shops got them to fit marathon pluses, apparently gave them trouble they said and the inner tube blew a few days after.

Took me under 5 mins without using levers etc.
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    bails87 wrote:
    notsoblue wrote:
    Gatorskins are pretty slippery. Had too offs from cornering too fast when it was damp.
    Hmmm...if it's not 'just me' then I might put some 4 seasons on the new wheels I'm going to build....
    I switched to 4 Seasons from Gatorskins after a few squeaky bum moments. Much grippier and they roll better too. They last pretty well. I replaced one after about 2.5 years use :)
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • They were also a total pita to fit...

I think it's a combo of rims and knack...

Think the rims had a lot to do with it. Even with the jack they're bloody difficult and I thought I was going to snap the jack. The Marathon Plus I fitted to K's old bike were bad but manageable but these were an entirely different kettle of fish.
  • They were also a total pita to fit...

I think it's a combo of rims and knack...

Think the rims had a lot to do with it. Even with the jack they're bloody difficult and I thought I was going to snap the jack. The Marathon Plus I fitted to K's old bike were bad but manageable but these were an entirely different kettle of fish.

Don't wish to teach a grandmother to such eggs and all that, but have you tried rubbing a bit of fairy liquid onto the bead of the tyre as you squeeze the last bit onto the rim? I fitted brand new marathons (32s) at the weekend and with the magic green liquid, they popped on within seconds. I learnt the hard way before hearing about this trick, and used to break levers / pinch inner tubes etc etc
  • rickyrider wrote:
    Don't wish to teach a grandmother to such eggs and all that, but have you tried rubbing a bit of fairy liquid onto the bead of the tyre as you squeeze the last bit onto the rim

Yes, first thing I tried. The rims are rather wide and the tyres are on the slim side of 23mm. Eventually got them on with strapping the tyre so it was sat deep into the rim in a few places and then having to use the tyre lever to lever the remaining bit over. Never had anything like as much trouble with others, even K's Marathons, but I haven't tried them on any other wheelset yet. Either way, I was glad they never punctured while out on the road.
  • rickyrider wrote:
    Don't wish to teach a grandmother to such eggs and all that, but have you tried rubbing a bit of fairy liquid onto the bead of the tyre as you squeeze the last bit onto the rim

Yes, first thing I tried. The rims are rather wide and the tyres are on the slim side of 23mm. Eventually got them on with strapping the tyre so it was sat deep into the rim in a few places and then having to use the tyre lever to lever the remaining bit over. Never had anything like as much trouble with others, even K's Marathons, but I haven't tried them on any other wheelset yet. Either way, I was glad they never punctured while out on the road.

Fair enough - does indeed sound like a bad combo of rim and tyre then. But the first time I heard about the fairy liquid trick, I couldn't believe the difference it made. I went from skinning knuckles and fingers, snapping levers and losing pints in sweat, to having the job done within minutes!