Same old tyre thread

rick_chasey
rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
edited February 2012 in Commuting chat
Alright.

I've done the search. I'm not happy with the responses so far.

I'm currently riding on the 28mm Grand Prix Continental tyres that came with my bike, and I'm fed up with all the punctures I'm getting.

I have the marathons on an other bike and think they're AWFUL. Puncture protection is fine, but I sh!t myself every time I have to turn.

Is my only other option Schwalbe Durano, or are they similarly grip free?

Comments

• EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Alright.

I'm currently riding on the 28mm Grand Prix Continental tyres that came with my bike, and I'm fed up with all the punctures I'm getting.

I have the marathons on an other bike and think they're AWFUL. Puncture protection is fine, but I sh!t myself every time I have to turn.

Are your current tyres up to pressure?
    I know my Gatorskins are much more prone to visits if the pressure is lower than it should be.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • rick_chasey
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Alright.

Are your current tyres up to pressure?
    I know my Gatorskins are much more prone to visits if the pressure is lower than it should be.

Certainly are.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Duranos are fine for me, both for the commute and in the Surrey hills. They don't have the grip of my GP4000Ses, but they do the job. What I don't do is throw myself into corners, though, and I wouldn't do if I used the GPs: too much oil and what not on the road.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    I have Durano's on my fixed and haven't had to change my trousers yet. Apart from the pedal strike on a roundabout once.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,632
    I had a durano on my fixed which blew out when I hit a hidden bump. When changing it I noticed it had a lot of little cuts. I've changed it to gatorskin which seems to be holding up better, no cuts yet (similar amount of time).

No grip issues with durano though.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • HamishD
    HamishD Posts: 538
    Vredestein Quattros for me - just bought some replacements from Ribble after the original pair are now squared off and had it after 10,000 miles with no punctures . . . £43 the pair - bargain.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Another tyre tread?
  • rick_chasey
    Yeah, I just want a tyre I don't notice.

Whether that's because I can physically feel the resistance, whether I'm changing ANOTHER puncture, or I'm bricking it when I turn a corner.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    I've been using the lighter Durano S on my Ribble though that is taken off commuting duties for most of the worst of the winter. No problems yet and they behave very well.

Don't think I've holed them yet but unlike a lot of people I maintain my tyres! :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    I'm tyred of these sorts of threads, they're wheely boring.
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • The Volagi came with Vittoria Rubino Pros. I knew nothing about them but they seem to get quite a goods review on Wiggle as being robust and hard-wearing but rolling fine. With only 100 or so miles under my belt on the V, it's difficult to come to any firm conclusions. No visits (and it's certainly visit weather), they seem to roll OK and I've not noticed any grip issues (but then, I never have with Gators - possibly because I properly-built :wink: ). They have an added advantage of being relatively cheap. Sorry I can't be more definitive
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    Commuting: Conti 4 Seasons
    Weekend/Racing: Conti GP4000S

[/thread]
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    http://road.cc/content/review/37217-pan ... 0x23c-tyre

Got a set of these recently, for a lot less than the RRP. Very impressed so far, they're shaped in a slight V, so when you lean into the turn there is more tyre surface connected to the road. They do feel very good as far as grip is concerned.
  • I've got GP 4 Seasons on my commuting bike, and I think they're excellent. Grippy as anything and near enough puncture free. I've had to stop before to pick out bits of glass that haven't made it through the tyre.
    FCN - 10
    Cannondale Bad Boy Solo with baggies.
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    gp4000s on my fulcrums (and soon to be on my zipps), then ive got a mish mash of tyres on my spare wheels. front is a vittoria rubino (just bought at lunchtime as my durano plus gave up the ghost this morning). On the back is durano plus.
  • specialized all condition pros...
    Yes i've got a miriad of cuts but they grip like loctite when hurtling round corners and rarely puncture.
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Almost pooped myself on a RAB last night when my front Gatorskin let go, luckily it gripped again and I stayed upright. It's happened a couple of times on them, don't know if I've got the wrong pressures or if I'm expecting too much from a road tyre. It's probably just from hitting diesel/oil though, and they've been perfectly impenetrable so I'm not unhappy with them.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • spasypaddy wrote:
    gp4000s on my fulcrums.

Great tyres and very fast but no good for all-year commuting in my experience - they just puncture too often and have nothing like the protection of Gators.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    bails87 wrote:
    Almost pooped myself on a RAB last night when my front Gatorskin let go, luckily it gripped again and I stayed upright. It's happened a couple of times on them, don't know if I've got the wrong pressures or if I'm expecting too much from a road tyre. It's probably just from hitting diesel/oil though, and they've been perfectly impenetrable so I'm not unhappy with them.
    Gatorskins are made from a special rubber compound which, whilst pretty hard-wearing, is designed to be extra-slippery on damp tarmac (presumably part of the puncture resistance strategy is to make you scared to go out in the wet). Mine were so bad I used to be able to wheelspin them off the lights without getting out of the saddle. Switched to 4 seasons (which seem to be equally hard-wearing) and never had a problem again.
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • rick_chasey
    Cheers guys.

Is a little sad though. the 28mms set my wheels/bike off quite nicely.

Alas.
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    spasypaddy wrote:
    gp4000s on my fulcrums.

Great tyres and very fast but no good for all-year commuting in my experience - they just puncture too often and have nothing like the protection of Gators.
    from my personal experience i will have to disagree with you. probably the best all year round tyre on the market. but thats my personal experience.
  • bails87
    TGOTB wrote:
    Gatorskins are made from a special rubber compound which, whilst pretty hard-wearing, is designed to be extra-slippery on damp tarmac (presumably part of the puncture resistance strategy is to make you scared to go out in the wet). Mine were so bad I used to be able to wheelspin them off the lights without getting out of the saddle. Switched to 4 seasons (which seem to be equally hard-wearing) and never had a problem again.

Hmmm, I did this this morning, I thought I was overpowering them with awesome! And yep, the problems have always been when it's damp.
    MTB/CX

• clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    gp 4 seasons.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Gatorskins are pretty slippery. Had too offs from cornering too fast when it was damp.
  • FoldingJoe
    FoldingJoe Posts: 1,327
    25mm GP 4 Seasons here, and they are great.

Few cuts, but no visits since September when I started to run them!!
    Little boy to Obama: "My Dad says that you read all our emails"
    Obama to little boy: "He's not your real Dad"

Kona Honky Tonk for sale: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=13000807
  • Have Stelvio Plus (same as Durano Plus) on my bad bike. Slow and heavy and lacking some grip. Haven't moved them over to my new commuter as I really disliked the way they made the bike feel.
    "Mummy Mummy, when will I grow up?"
    "Don't be silly son, you're a bloke, you'll never grow up"
  • Have Stelvio Plus (same as Durano Plus) on my bad bike. Slow and heavy and lacking some grip. Haven't moved them over to my new commuter as I really disliked the way they made the bike feel.
    :( Just ordered this at lunchtime lol http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/TYS ... lding_tyre
    First love - Genesis Equilibrium 20
    Dirty - Forme Calver CX Sport
    Quickie - Scott CR1 SL HMX
    Notable ex's - Kinesis Crosslight, Specialized Tricross
  • bails87
    notsoblue wrote:
    Gatorskins are pretty slippery. Had too offs from cornering too fast when it was damp.
    Hmmm...if it's not 'just me' then I might put some 4 seasons on the new wheels I'm going to build....
    MTB/CX

• sturmey
    sturmey Posts: 964
    Cold,wet, greasy commutes call for supple grippy tyres. You can keep your puncture proof hosepipes thanks very much- they slide all over the place in the wet.
    Use decent ,high threadcount tyres that will keep you upright.
  • has to be said I don't have a problem with the hosepipes on my bike, aka 25mm Marathon Pluses in terms of grip.

I do run a lot lower pressures though I'll hassard a guess.
    60psi front and 80psi back.

CS8 in the wet no problem etc, if metal work is flush I don't tend to avoid it, only avoiding if it's either raised or sunken.

my old road bike with 23mm and higher pressures is much more twichy about the surface.