Casual Rides - What about my trousers?

petemadoc
petemadoc Posts: 2,331
edited February 2012 in Commuting chat
You know those little journeys, you want to pop to the shop or into town and it's about a mile or two away.

Not worth getting your lycra on for but if you wear normal trousers or jeans the right leg gets covered in black greasy chain gunk.

I've tried tucking my trousers into my socks and although this usually works I still get a bit of oil on me trousers, plus I look like a total plonker. I've tried trouser clips which don't look as bad but don't work as well as the sock trick.

So what do you do? My first though was n+1, another bike with a chain guard but it's really not worth it, the shed is already full to bursting and there's so many other bikes I'd rather buy first.

Next question, how do you get that black oily cr4p off your clothes? It never comes out in the wash :evil:

Comments

• marchant
    marchant Posts: 362
    Just wear the same trousers, already covered in oily gunk, for those rides?
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Wear jeans, roll up right leg, decide that you look like a messenger rather than a plonker (the line is so thin most people wont know if you're cool or looking like a dickhead)
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Unless you have a chain guard theres no way to avoid looking like a dickhead if you want to wear long trousers. :(

I just tuck my trousers in my socks or roll them up.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,771
    I have a pair of narrow legged black jeans, ideal for popping to the shops or pub wobble. they are tight enough not to hit the chain, if they do they're black so nobody knows.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Call me a tart but I really like these.. http://www.rapha.cc/rapha-trousers

Anyway, its nearly short weather, a few more weeks of MTFU and you're there.
  • dhope
    iPete wrote:
    Call me a tart but I really like these.. http://www.rapha.cc/rapha-trousers

Anyway, its nearly short weather, a few more weeks of MTFU and you're there.

The Rapha jeans are nice too, but £150 is a bit steep.
    I got the 3/4 length last year and they're good, if tarty too.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • Swarfega will get the oil out of your trousers if you apply it before the wash with a nail brush (NB add the water AFTER you've worked in the Swarfega, not before).

But easier to avoid the oil in the first place - roll up jeans as others have suggested. Or wear hipster skinny jeans.
  • petemadoc
    I quite like the trouser rolling pretending to be trendy thing

But do you roll one trouser or both :?:
  • dhope
    edited February 2012
    One. You're pretending that it's primarily functional after all and that looking cool is merely a side effect.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    rapha-jeans-01.jpg

Always roll up. Always one.

Have done it for many many many years.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Doesn't help when you ride across a muddy field as I just did, now I look like I've had an accident
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • rick_chasey
    itboffin wrote:
    Doesn't help when you ride across a muddy field as I just did, now I look like I've had an accident

You don't ride with mudguards either?
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    itboffin wrote:

Nope not when it's dry
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Bi50N
    Bi50N Posts: 87
    N+1

You need a belt driven, single speed run-around for inner city riding. This is another reason why I really love my Trek District...
  • rick_chasey
    itboffin wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

Nope not when it's dry

Can't be that dry if mud's flying up all over your ass!
  • petemadoc
    OK so I nipped to the shop to grab some lunch just now.

Right trouser rolled up

I am definitely a rock'n roll hipster now :D
  • veronese68
    CC, there are so many things wrong with that image.
    Co-ordinating trim on shoes and ankle strap is just plain wrong.
    That's a belt drive, so why the strap?
    One of the selling points of the Strida is the belt drive doesn't get your trousers mucky. So why have a Strida branded ankle strap?
    Have a word with yourself would you. If that's a picture of you on your new toy I take it all back.
  • keep the bike cleaner?
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    Have a word with yourself would you. If that's a picture of you on your new toy I take it all back.

The Strida was Mrs CC's anniversary gift to me.

You've just ruined it - and probably our marriage too.

Got a spare room?
  • petemadoc
    keep the bike cleaner?

Er OK then

How clean is your drive chain?
  • veronese68

The Strida was Mrs CC's anniversary gift to me.

You've just ruined it - and probably our marriage too.

Got a spare room?

You can kip in the garage if you promise not to interfere with my tool.
  • PeteMadoc wrote:
    keep the bike cleaner?

Er OK then

Atm - super sparkly because it had a clean on le weekend. Normally it's not too bad. Dry lube doesn't pick up as much road shite. Rag with muc off.
  • notsoblue
    PeteMadoc wrote:
    keep the bike cleaner?

Er OK then

Atm - super sparkly because it had a clean on le weekend. Normally it's not too bad. Dry lube doesn't pick up as much road shite. Rag with muc off.
    Noisy though...
  • petemadoc
    I'm sure it is super sparkly but that doesn't change the fact you have chain oil on it. Clean or not clean you don't want that stuff on your clothes.
  • PeteMadoc wrote:
    I'm sure it is super sparkly but that doesn't change the fact you have chain oil on it. Clean or not clean you don't want that stuff on your clothes.

it doesn't mark them - it's dry to the touch. I used to have a nice oil/dark imprint on my leg after each ride. Now I don't by keeping it clean and dry lubed is all.

Anyway - roll up trouser is your likely best bet.
  • notsoblue
    PeteMadoc wrote:

it doesn't mark them - it's dry to the touch. I used to have a nice oil/dark imprint on my leg after each ride. Now I don't by keeping it clean and dry lubed is all.

Thats called a Cat 6 Tattoo, wear it with pride ;)

http://iamkjeld.posterous.com/cat-6-tat ... ly-cordero
  • petemadoc
    Which lube are you using?

I do use a dry lube on my summer bike but I wouldn't call it dry to the touch, more like a light grease. (pro link gold)
  • dhope
    notsoblue wrote:
    PeteMadoc wrote:

Thats called a Cat 6 Tattoo, wear it with pride ;)

http://iamkjeld.posterous.com/cat-6-tat ... ly-cordero

:D It's happened so often I'm almost tempted to make it permanent
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • PeteMadoc wrote:
    Which lube are you using?

I do use a dry lube on my summer bike but I wouldn't call it dry to the touch, more like a light grease. (pro link gold)

muc-off-dry-lube.jpg

Got it with a multi pack of cleaning products and really like it.