My daughter wants to have her ears pierced

2»

Comments

• Greg66 wrote:
    SimonAH wrote:
    Thankyou Forum, once again you have come up trumps! I just passed this thread to the sainted OH and the discussion is over. The young'un may not be best pleased but no holes will be appearing in her ears for a.good while yet.

Two things.

First, just how did that "I passed this thread to the sainted OH" work? You have an argument, each of you are entrenched. Then you come back and say "honey, I decided to share our family issue with my "friends" on the Internet. When I say "friends" I mean anonymous possible psychos, but I like to think of them as friends. Anyway, they had some opinions, so here, read what they say and see if what you think". Not sure Mrs 66 would have taken up the invitation to read the thread... :wink:

Secondly, assuming the little 'un is the girl in your avatar, she's seven now and smokes, so how the hell was there ever an issue about something as trivial as getting her ears pierced?

and entering from left field.... :lol:
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    First course of action would have been to get a huuge knitting needle and a lighter on the kitchen table and tell rebelious daughter that you'll be doing the piercing and which ear first :lol:
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • PaulC7
    PaulC7 Posts: 112
    ToeKnee wrote:
    SimonAH wrote:
    ... I'm anti, but my wife is pro ...
    ... and you think you have a say in the matter? Enjoy the discussion and complementing your daughter on her new ear-rings.

LOL :)

Thats how it is, sorry to say it but...

As for school once they've healed up she will be ok to take them out for school and pop them back in afterwards.
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    redvee wrote:
    First course of action would have been to get a huuge knitting needle and a lighter on the kitchen table and tell rebelious daughter that you'll be doing the piercing and which ear first :lol:

Thats the wimpy 'Bristolian' method.....in the Valleys they use a lump hammer and centrepunch.

FWIW, At 8 years old the instinct to fall out of trees and generally be a kid is still very strong, with jewellery attached, it could be a horrible disaster. There is also the cleanliness factor - infections in kids are rife, could be another issue.

IMHO: I would push for older, although in 'yerp' i believe that kids have ears pierced as babies.

**wonder if there is a stat based on ear injuries in children with piercings comparable between 'yerp' and the UK?
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    edited February 2012
    Ears pierced? NO!

Next she'll be wearing heels, short skirts and bra's. She'll no longer be Daddy's little girl and when she says it, deep down it'll feel wrong. Finally she'll have boyfriends. They'll be tall with deep voices and bigger, stronger, broader than you.

It's just wrong, all of it.

Or at least that was my thought process when Ms DDD said that my son may be a girl when we were expecting.

#Happyitsaboy!
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    The right time to teach her about no means no?
  • Pep
    Pep Posts: 501
    Not sure is connected but...

My wife was very amazed and asked me if tattoo were legally allowed in this country.
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    In Spain, and I am not saying I agree with it, they pierce girls ears in hospital on their first day. I still remember my little sister arriving home with little studs. For people over there that is the normal thing.

I personally think 16 sounds fair enough...
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • Something I was wondering...
    What about the fact that it reinforces gender stereotypes to have something like this done at such a young age?
    But hey, that's just me. I'm not a parent and probably won't be for quite a while.
    This young lady has it figured out.
    FCN 7
    Porridge and coffee - the breakfast of champions