Olympic velodrome

2»

Comments

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,682
    Not all of us have that job Snooks so it's the best we get....I'm a geologist and personally I don't spoil a good walk at the weekend by looking at boring rocks but there are many that do!

I managed to get this from not far off the top row at Wembley Stadium, so it's not impossible...

5809481759_df8e7df800_z.jpg
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • snooks
    snooks Posts: 1,521
    The problem I have is that I used to work for the biggest sporting picture agency in the world. So I was used to seeing the very best sporting images that could be taken. Sadly that's not an exaggeration. So unless I could rival those images I wouldn't even try.

Usually at any major sporting event your seat is your seat and you leave in on pain of death. Tonight I could have sat in any empty seat with a decent camera and got some good shots.

Though I wouldn't have missed VP taking a WR :D class
    FCN:5, 8 & 9
    If I'm not riding I'm shooting http://grahamsnook.com
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    I heart vicky p.

went tonight and saw 3 world records and 2 golds for britain....

awesome velodrome, awesome atmosphere.

that is all.

[/smug]
  • ... and you too could be smug tomorrow!

I know this should probably be on the track forum but I've been left with a spare ticket for Sunday's Track World Cup session at the Velodrome.

Not looking to make any profit, the ticket is £40 but that gets you a seat in the second row, level with the finishing line and covers all sessions 9:30am - 6pm.
    http://www.londonpreparesseries.com/doc ... etable.pdf

If you're interested and can make it to Stratford Westfield for 9am, feel free to e-mail me at freshforwards@hotmail.com. First come, first served - I'll get a message up when it's gone...

Ta

Ian
  • boondog
    boondog Posts: 205
    I'm in exactly the same boat, I've got 1 ticket for Sundays final £30 ticket but you have to collect from w3.
    Pm me and first reply gets it. I'm layed up in bed, gutted that I can't go.
  • that girl in the middle pic is a babe!
    Lucy Garner, I think. Great potential*.

* cycling potential, for the avoidance of confusion
  • That Woman's Ominium elimination race was great on the TV. Sounded a fantastic atmosphere in the velodrome :)
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Did anyone see the women's Elimination race of the Omnium? If not, watch it, great race.

SPOILER ALERT

A great race by Laura Trott. I don't know if the race went as she planned it, but what a way to win. Edge of the seat stuff. Even Mrs EKE who has no interest in track cycling was cheering her on. Lets hope she can keep up the good work and get a medal in the overall event.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • snooks wrote:
    gtvlusso wrote:
    snooks wrote:
    Wrath Rob wrote:
    I'll be taking the nice camera too.

I'm curious.......Why? What are you hoping to photograph?

I always smile when I see everyone in the crowd at a 100m final taking a photographs the stadium holds it's breath, the gun goes off, and the stands are lit up by thousands of tiny flashes which are designed to illuminate a subject matter 3 metres away! The pic won't come out, and by the time people have messed with their cameras they will have missed the race! Yet every 4 years you'll see it. :roll:

As photographer I always find far more fun being at an event and watching it, than dicking around with a camera only to miss the best bits and to be left with a handful of poor photographs at the end. If you want to get good photos you need a press pass, it's the best seat in the house.

Unfortunately, we are not all photographers by profession (knowing the iso settings and suchlike) or can afford nice plush kit. We make do with the phone cam or a cheap camera.

But it is nice to have a few of your own pics, for the album at home, reminding you of an event you attended with the family or friends. Or something brief to show your mates in the pub when you are talking about stuff and that.....

For that there is the iPhone :)

indeed I only use my "proper" camera for being arty/playing with infra red.

for the rest, aka snaps iphone is more than enought and fits in my pocket far easier!
  • Uhm... ticket for tomorrow now free if you can get a beer in? Would rather not have an empty seat rather than anything else!
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,947
    Snorebens wrote:
    Uhm... ticket for tomorrow now free if you can get a beer in? Would rather not have an empty seat rather than anything else!

SURELY someone on here took you up on this generous offer........?!

Went yesterday for the day, and it's the best day out I have ever had I do believe, fabulous venue, took our own food and drink, great facilities, and the distance to the track was mindblowing - not sure what I envisaged, but it was 10 times better, and the atmosphere was out of this world.

Wish I had had evening tickets now as well - can't wait to go to the next one.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Did anyone see the women's Elimination race of the Omnium? If not, watch it, great race.

Highlight of the night for me.
    The velodrome is superb, atmosphere amazing.

Took non bike people along and they loved it.

I've been to loads of sporting events all around the world, but I'm struggling to think of anything that matched that for entertainment and atmosphere.

The 32 beers set us back a bit. :shock:

(my only criticism would be the pointless and poorly managed bus that took us 50 yards!)
    exercise.png
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    snooks wrote:

Just seen a mate's pic from the 2012 Olympic Velodrome posted on Facebook via his iPhone.

For some reason the iPhone automatically tags it as being shot in Beijing :?
    FCN = 4
  • pete54
    pete54 Posts: 488
    Went to the Sunday session and had a great time. We were up in the gods, but level with the start line and you get a great view from almost anywhere. It was unfeasably hot where we were sat.

Pity I haven't got any tickets for the Olympics, but can't wait to go back for Revolution, World Champs etc.
  • MTB-Idle wrote:
    snooks wrote:

Just seen a mate's pic from the 2012 Olympic Velodrome posted on Facebook via his iPhone.

For some reason the iPhone automatically tags it as being shot in Beijing :?
    Interesting. My brother-in-law's HTC decided it was on Beijing time throughout the whole event today. I wonder whether it is related...

Great sprinting by Hoy today (but not much of my nails left after the quarter final!) - and a really enjoyable event. Pleasant and cheerful staff, good to see a decent number of kids in the crowd - and 8 1/2 hours of spectating for £30.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Well, I too was there all day today. Great seats, right by the back-straight start line, right by the track.

Being a bit of a roadie fan rather than a trackie, was surprised by how much fun it was.

Things I noticed:

1) Phone signial was appauling - made my phone battery disappear in about 3hrs > same with the wifi

2) The food on offer was rubbish. If you didn't like muffins or egg mayo sandwiches, you had a bit of a problem.

3) No-one will ever get tired of saying "Oh my god, look at those thighs" when Forstemann either cycles or walks past. Even if he's cycled past about 30 times.

4) Pendelton is very small/slight for a sprinter. Much smaller & slighter than all the others.

5) Laura Trott is really quite special. She's also tiny.

6) Sprinters (apart from Pendalton...) look like weightlifters on bikes. Was strange to see, especially since I'm used to professional roadies.