Olympic velodrome

sketchley
sketchley Posts: 4,238
edited February 2012 in Commuting chat
Went tonight for first test event. Pain in the @rse getting to and from Stratford station, but venue was excellent although hot. Aus narrowly beat gb in team pursuit. Good evening had.
--
Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5

Comments

• spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    was brilliant wasnt it?

took soooo many photos
  • I'm jealous! As you've been there, do you know if there's any way of getting there on a bike? I haven't got tickets but I'm fed up with seeing the velodrome from afar and I'd like to get up close just to get a feel of the building and its surroundings. I know the idea of cycling to a cycling event at a velodrome might seem a fairly extreme idea but I've no idea how to get onto the site or even whether it's possible.
  • rml380z
    rml380z Posts: 244
    I'm jealous! As you've been there, do you know if there's any way of getting there on a bike? I haven't got tickets but I'm fed up with seeing the velodrome from afar and I'd like to get up close just to get a feel of the building and its surroundings. I know the idea of cycling to a cycling event at a velodrome might seem a fairly extreme idea but I've no idea how to get onto the site or even whether it's possible.

I won't bother going as you can't get onto the Olympic site without a ticket, so you won't be able to get anywhere near the Velodrome.

I was thinking of cycling there today, but it seems that there isn't any cycle parking in the Olympic park yet, and you can't go into the park on your bike; the website says use the parking at Stratford station and catch a shuttle bus like everyone else.
  • jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    Agree with Sketchley. Ques to get in, que for security, que for a bus. But the velorome is brilliant an being able to sit at your seat with a beer an unexpected plus. Great evening.

Was surprised how much of a building site the Olympic park still is, and if the system is anything like last nights, with 50 times the people on site, can imagine the ques will be a pita.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    How long did it take to get in from stratford station?

I'm off to the Sunday morning one and ideally want to arrive as late as possible without missing anything.
  • jzed
    45 minutes, maybe an hour
  • rick_chasey
    Christ. Takes 5 minutes to get into a football match.

Why so long?

They frisking everyone who goes in?
  • spasypaddy
    full on airport scanning. however that bit is quick its just the walking and then the bussing to the velodrome is slow
  • rick_chasey
    spasypaddy wrote:
    full on airport scanning. however that bit is quick its just the walking and then the bussing to the velodrome is slow

Bus to the velodrome?

How far away is it?
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    spasypaddy wrote:
    was brilliant wasnt it?

took soooo many photos

Pics or you didn't go - seriously, do you have the pics online? Love to see them!
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    Going tomorrow morning for the 9-4 session, very excited now. I'll be taking the nice camera too.
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    spasypaddy wrote:

Bus to the velodrome?

How far away is it?
    Not far but the walkways and bridges aren't finished yet.

My boss went. He's not a cycling fan particularly but really enjoyed it
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • sketchley
    I'm jealous! As you've been there, do you know if there's any way of getting there on a bike? I haven't got tickets but I'm fed up with seeing the velodrome from afar and I'd like to get up close just to get a feel of the building and its surroundings. I know the idea of cycling to a cycling event at a velodrome might seem a fairly extreme idea but I've no idea how to get onto the site or even whether it's possible.

You can cycle out to here. http://www.theviewtube.co.uk/home.html good coffee, good cake and you can see a fair bit of the park. Can't really see the velodrome though except from a distance.
    --
    Chris

• spasypaddy
    gtvlusso wrote:
    spasypaddy wrote:
    was brilliant wasnt it?

took soooo many photos

Pics or you didn't go - seriously, do you have the pics online? Love to see them!
    not yet, got in too late to do anything with them. i have a few on my phone i'll upload them in a bit

there was free wifi there as well for anyone else that is going (Which actually means my phone uploaded the few i took on there automatically)
    IMG-20120216-00023.jpg
    Hackney-20120216-00024.jpg
    CityofLondon-20120216-00025.jpg
    CityofLondon-20120216-00026.jpg
    CityofLondon-20120216-00028.jpg
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Sketchley wrote:
    Went tonight for first test event. Pain in the @rse getting to and from Stratford station, but venue was excellent although hot. Aus narrowly beat gb in team pursuit. Good evening had.

It's always gonna be hot hot hot, or as hot as the riders can force the organisers to make it.
  • sketchley
    Sketchley wrote:

It's always gonna be hot hot hot, or as hot as the riders can force the organisers to make it.

My first time in a velodrome. There was notice with tickets that it would be 28 degrees........
    --
    Chris

• il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Good article on it hear. Always amazes me how much difference a few degrees can make. http://engineeringsport.co.uk/2011/03/01/the-heat-is-on-for-cyclists-in-the-london-velodrome/
  • spasypaddy
    even though it looked incredibly steep its actually shallower than the newport velodrome which ive ridden on
  • snooks
    snooks Posts: 1,521
    Wrath Rob wrote:
    I'll be taking the nice camera too.

I'm curious.......Why? What are you hoping to photograph?

I always smile when I see everyone in the crowd at a 100m final taking a photographs the stadium holds it's breath, the gun goes off, and the stands are lit up by thousands of tiny flashes which are designed to illuminate a subject matter 3 metres away! The pic won't come out, and by the time people have messed with their cameras they will have missed the race! Yet every 4 years you'll see it. :roll:

As photographer I always find far more fun being at an event and watching it, than dicking around with a camera only to miss the best bits and to be left with a handful of poor photographs at the end. If you want to get good photos you need a press pass, it's the best seat in the house.
    FCN:5, 8 & 9
    If I'm not riding I'm shooting http://grahamsnook.com
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs
  • sketchley
    snooks wrote:
    Wrath Rob wrote:

I always smile when I see everyone in the crowd at a 100m final taking a photographs the stadium holds it's breath, the gun goes off, and the stands are lit up by thousands of tiny flashes which are designed to illuminate a subject matter 3 metres away! The pic won't come out, and by the time people have messed with their cameras they will have missed the race! Yet every 4 years you'll see it. :roll:

As photographer I always find far more fun being at an event and watching it, than dicking around with a camera only to miss the best bits and to be left with a handful of poor photographs at the end. If you want to get good photos you need a press pass, it's the best seat in the house.

I know what you mean, it's why I don't take a camera to rugby. Plus there's always a better cameraman with better kit too that taking better photos. Why bother.
    --
    Chris

• gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    snooks wrote:
    Wrath Rob wrote:

Unfortunately, we are not all photographers by profession (knowing the iso settings and suchlike) or can afford nice plush kit. We make do with the phone cam or a cheap camera.

But it is nice to have a few of your own pics, for the album at home, reminding you of an event you attended with the family or friends. Or something brief to show your mates in the pub when you are talking about stuff and that.....
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    JZed wrote:
    But the velorome is brilliant an being able to sit at your seat with a beer an unexpected plus. Great evening.

They have beer?????

Got tickets for Saturday night ... that changes everything!
    exercise.png
  • jzed
    TheStone wrote:
    JZed wrote:
    But the velorome is brilliant an being able to sit at your seat with a beer an unexpected plus. Great evening.

They have beer?????

Got tickets for Saturday night ... that changes everything!

Yeah - bottles of becks and cider. £4.20 each I think. Nice and warm, bottle of beer in hand, bikes going round in front of you. Wish I'd managed to get some more tickets. Enjoy!
  • hfidgen
    hfidgen Posts: 340
    Unless you want to spend £20 on 2 beers and a sandwich, fully suggest taking your own in a bag! They didn't seem too fussed last night.

Was awesome atmosphere when the GB teams were out - gave a little taste of what the real event might be like in the summer! Great venue.
    FCN 4 - BMC CX02
  • snooks
    gtvlusso wrote:
    snooks wrote:
    Wrath Rob wrote:

Unfortunately, we are not all photographers by profession (knowing the iso settings and suchlike) or can afford nice plush kit. We make do with the phone cam or a cheap camera.

But it is nice to have a few of your own pics, for the album at home, reminding you of an event you attended with the family or friends. Or something brief to show your mates in the pub when you are talking about stuff and that.....

For that there is the iPhone :)
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    snooks wrote:
    Wrath Rob wrote:

The nice camera is a Canon EOS 40D with L series 70-200mm lens. At a track you can also normally get pretty close at the ends of the track to take some close ups. And its reasonably well lit so with a fast ISO you can get some nice pics without the flash. I get some of my enjoyment from taking the pictures as well as being there. A decent zoom also helps you see some things you might otherwise miss. Agree that you need a press pass though. Very jealous of those guys.

Took these at Manchester back in October

6218264837_6d737b2c23_z.jpg
    6218266281_d677bcc1ae_z.jpg
    6218261739_f4dba660f9_z.jpg
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Wrath Rob wrote:
    blah blah

6218266281_d677bcc1ae_z.jpg

blah blah
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    snooks wrote:
    Wrath Rob wrote:

You are a naughty and wicked man :-) plus how the hell are you, where you been ....? eh no epic stories from the East
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • snooks
    Security don't seem to give a toss.

If you see an empty seat closer to the track once it's started, walk around and sit there you can only get moved on back to your paid for seat. Unlike other sporting events I've been to you can walk around and sit anywhere!

So I take back what I said. You'll need a 24-70 or a 70-200 :)
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    that girl in the middle pic is a babe!