edited February 2012 in The bottom bracket
Anyone else seen this

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-17066798

Puts me off cycling in Bristol that's for sure

Comments

• seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,629
    That's unbelievable! :shock:

It says in the report that the driver swerved into the cyclists path, more like the driver swerved into the cyclist, not his path. 17months seems very lenient for attempted murder.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • Indeed that's what I thought.

On other websites people as usual are blaming the cyclist!!
  • petemadoc
    petemadoc Posts: 2,331
    Scary stuff.

I wonder how many similar incidents never make it court because they don't get filmed on CCTV.
  • PaulC7
    PaulC7 Posts: 112
    Shocking very shocking... was a good old speed he hit the cyclist at, any slower and he probably wouldnt of been thrown that far and could of been crushed.
  • DIESELDOG
    DIESELDOG Posts: 2,087
    FMBW, that's unreal, nothing else to say.

Love n hugs

DD
    Eagles may soar but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

www.onemanandhisbike.co.uk
  • With that level of evidence a 17month sentence doesn't really fill me will a whole lot of pride in our justice system.
  • DrKJM
    DrKJM Posts: 271
    On other websites people as usual are blaming the cyclist!!

This is the worrying part for me. That there are scary people behind the wheel is not that surprising, though I suspect there are fewer than it might sometimes feel. But that someone could watch that and think the guy on the bike was anything other than a victim startlingly fortunate to survive a murderous attack feels me with genuine shock.
  • renard
    renard Posts: 51
    17 months seems very lenient.

If I were to beat someone up in the street and break their arm and leg I would expect more than 17months.

It was only luck that the injuries were not more severe.
  • ddmrcp
    ddmrcp Posts: 23
    While 17 months seems disproportionately low, I guess the driver is fcuked from here on by effectively making himself unemployable- from being convicted.
    Benefits for life being claimed in 17 months.....
  • Response from an Edinburgh bus driver on twitter...

@EdinBus_Driver "Just ace, only if it were legal, it would be done more often!"

:evil: :evil: :evil:
  • bristolpete
    bristolpete Posts: 2,255
    edited February 2012
    I live and ride in Bristol and see this everyday on the way to work.

Sadly, despite its title as England's premier cycling City, it is a complete mess. Haphazard bike lanes merging into traffic, across traffic and pedestrians. Parking bays in cycle lanes, loading bays, the list goes on. Total and utter madness and the Council are a complete joke but then you can change a medieval infrastructure which I think is the real issue as UK cities grew from the centre out.

Try riding down Park St in rush hour and getting onto the cycle path which has the entrance to a taxi rank and a hotel splitting it but is also on the other side of the road so you have to get across on coming traffic and hold up people behind you. Mental !

That incident is truly shocking however and despite the Times campaign the people who react like this to bike riders usually read other newspapers.

A dangerous place to ride a bike despite what the marketing men say.

Pete.
  • Response from an Edinburgh bus driver on twitter...

@EdinBus_Driver "Just ace, only if it were legal, it would be done more often!"

:evil: :evil: :evil:

If that is genuine then he needs a P45.
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    I saw this on the Daily mail with over 500 mostly ranting* comments;, many said "you can clearly see from the video that the cyclist is blocking the path of the bus "
    If you look really closely at the traffic lights you will see that at the moment of impact, the pedestrian lights turn GREEN. Prior to that, the traffic lights for the bus would have turned RED and for a few seconds before that, AMBER.

The cyclist was taking the primary position to prevent being overtaken by a bus on an amber light. No-one was being held up.
    Someone managed to sneak in a few mock rants but its really hard to tell parody from daily mail reality.
  • bristolpete
    MichaelW wrote:
    I saw this on the Daily mail with over 500 mostly ranting* comments;, many said "you can clearly see from the video that the cyclist is blocking the path of the bus "
    If you look really closely at the traffic lights you will see that at the moment of impact, the pedestrian lights turn GREEN. Prior to that, the traffic lights for the bus would have turned RED and for a few seconds before that, AMBER.

The cyclist was taking the primary position to prevent being overtaken by a bus on an amber light. No-one was being held up.
    Someone managed to sneak in a few mock rants but its really hard to tell parody from daily mail reality.

Non bike riders suggest he was in the way of the bus, but it looks like he was as you say moving from left to right to get into the lane required.
  • MichaelW wrote:

Non bike riders suggest he was in the way of the bus, but it looks like he was as you say moving from left to right to get into the lane required.

Does that really matter. Just because someone gets in your way doesn't give you the right to run them over.
  • seanoconn
    The bus driver is obviously a crack pot. I Think he even signalled to pull out along side the cyclist before stamming into him!

Something dangerously wrong with the bloke to lose it like he did.
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    It's completely irrelevant where the cyclist was on the road given the deliberate manoeuvre by the bus driver.

But yeah, can't see why that wouldn't constitute attempted murder. If the weapon was anything other than a vehicle it surely would have been.
    More problems but still living....
  • bristolpete
    MichaelW wrote:

Does that really matter. Just because someone gets in your way doesn't give you the right to run them over.

Of course not, I am not disputing it, just saying what others think in so much as he was doing it on purpose. Personally, I think he simply moves lane. I agree, attempted murder.
  • jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    That CCTV footage is horrendous. Very scary.

17 months (he'll serve 7-9) is a complete joke. Just because he used a bus doesn't mean it's any less of a dangerous weapon than say a knife or gun. However, if he'd have stabbed or shot the cyclist he would of got 10-15 years.

I'm appalled.
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • I saw a link to this but it only had the still image and it didnt seem so bad - but feck me - that was vicious - the poor guy is lucky to be alive.

The mentality of young drivers - those who think they can do as they please - is frightening it's one of th reasons I just let all the angry drivers just do their stuff - you just never know what nutter is behind the wheel.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,169
    Why no Attempted Murder charge? :x

+1 - the reason the sentence seems lenient is that the charges were lenient. If you deliberately drive several tonnes of bus at a cyclist then surely you realise there's a chance you will kill them and with CCTV that clearly showed intent it looks like the CPS bottled it.
  • Pross wrote:

+1 - the reason the sentence seems lenient is that the charges were lenient. If you deliberately drive several tonnes of bus at a cyclist then surely you realise there's a chance you will kill them and with CCTV that clearly showed intent it looks like the CPS bottled it.

I work with them everyday. This is pretty normal. :|
  • nevman
    nevman Posts: 1,611
    Pross wrote:

I work with them everyday. This is pretty normal. :|
    Mmm-in that case you will know that attempted murder is the most difficult offence to prove before a Jury-who would want an acquittal just because there was a more serious charge available.No one.Think what the outcry would have been-Why wasnt he charged with dangerous driving and GBH????I agree that the sentence is well below tariff,there may be an appeal against an unduly lenient sentence-there are 21 days for the Attorney-General to consider this.
    Whats the solution? Just pedal faster you baby.

Summer B,man Team Carbon LE#222
    Winter Alan Top Cross
    All rounder Spec. Allez.
  • Lazarus
    Lazarus Posts: 1,426
    Respect to the cyclist at the end of the video who turned around from where he was heading after noticing the incident.
    A punctured bicycle
    On a hillside desolate
    Will nature make a man of me yet ?
  • seanoconn
    Lazarus wrote:
    Respect to the cyclist at the end of the video who turned around from where he was heading after noticing the incident.

He was only being nosey! :lol:
  • markyone
    markyone Posts: 1,119
    What i understand is that they were arguing up the road, and the cyclist was leaning against the bus talking to the driver through the window.So in that video he is actually chasing him.
    It must of been very heated for the bus driver to drive over him.
    Colnago c60 Eps super record 11
    Pinarello F8 with sram etap
  • petemadoc
    is frightening it's one of th reasons I just let all the angry drivers just do their stuff - you just never know what nutter is behind the wheel.

+ 10100 for this

No matter how much someone winds you up, how sh1t their driving is, how frustrated you get

Never ever pick a fight with a big metal box, there are plenty of nutters about and they do drive motor vehicles.

Stay safe people

This poor guy decided to pick a fight with a bus. I once picked a fight with a 4x4 and was very lucky to get away with a massive bruise.
  • markyone wrote:
    What i understand is that they were arguing up the road, and the cyclist was leaning against the bus talking to the driver through the window.So in that video he is actually chasing him.
    It must have been very heated for the bus driver to drive over him.

Maybe i'm reading it wrong but it sounds like your trying to justify the bus drivers actions.
  • petemadoc
    markyone wrote:
    It must have been very heated for the bus driver to drive over him.

Maybe i'm reading it wrong but it sounds like your trying to justify the bus drivers actions.

Probably reading it wrong